The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 02:55:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another asteroid to miss earth by about 21,126 miles miles on Sunday.  (Read 775 times)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« on: September 06, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »

They only discovered it a week ago.
Heads up New Zealand!  Wink

http://www.space.com/27026-asteroid-2014-rc-earth-flyby-sunday.html?cmpid=514630_20140904_31027966

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:14:06 am »

7 day warning!?!

When the aliens do come....

Of course, I won't mind it, but most of the planet....

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:11:32 am »

That close huh? phew!

I do wonder when the inevitable big boulder comes hurtling right at us what we'll do. If it's really massive I suppose the obvious answer is die, but one kinda hopes they are taking some steps to prepare for this eventuality. I believe technically speaking we're overdue at least a ding.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:50:46 pm »

That close huh? phew!

I do wonder when the inevitable big boulder comes hurtling right at us what we'll do. If it's really massive I suppose the obvious answer is die, but one kinda hopes they are taking some steps to prepare for this eventuality. I believe technically speaking we're overdue at least a ding.

Yes. The reason I posted it was the fact that NASA, yes, NASA, couldn't detect a house sized boulder coming virtually straight at us 'til one week before. Just how big do they have to be for an advanced warning long enough to actually put any 'plan' into place?  Wink
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

Part of the problem is it's more difficult to detect something coming straight at you than passing by. Also I believe they only have a budget to monitor 7% of the sky. The russian asteroid was sadly not the wake up call it should have been.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:57:10 pm »

That close huh? phew!

Don't worry, they'll just call out the RBA wBB-10ml (Really Big Astronaut with Baseball Bat 10 Miles long), and hit it into the sun!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:19:55 am »

^So then, the same result, huh?^
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:39:43 am »

I say, it seems jolly unfair we in the colonies have to bear the brunt of all this interplanetary snookering whatnot.

However, it may liven up what will be Monday morning for us ... although it's entirely possible I shall be asleep at that time, rather than manning my roof-mounted BRD (Big Rock Deflector).

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:34 am »

I say, it seems jolly unfair we in the colonies have to bear the brunt of all this interplanetary snookering whatnot.

However, it may liven up what will be Monday morning for us ... although it's entirely possible I shall be asleep at that time, rather than manning my roof-mounted BRD (Big Rock Deflector).

ROFL
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:48:24 am »

Don't worry, it missed you. It hit Nicaragua instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-29106843

~A~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: