The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 05:05:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comedian Joan Rivers dies aged 81  (Read 788 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:47 pm »

Rivers, 81, had been on life support in Mount Sinai Hospital since having a cardiac arrest in New York last week.

In a statement, her daughter Melissa said she died surrounded by family and friends, and she thanked hospital staff for their "amazing care".

The comedian, best known for her lacerating wit, stopped breathing during a procedure on her vocal cords at an outpatient clinic last Thursday.

"My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh," said Melissa Rivers.

"Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."

Damn! We just lost another legend. Sad

I'm actually surprised it was even possible for her to die - I pretty much figured that Death would find himself running away after a merciless put-down in a verbal assault from her. Grin

RIP queen of the put-down and filthy joke.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:15:38 am »

Rivers, 81, had been on life support in Mount Sinai Hospital since having a cardiac arrest in New York last week.

In a statement, her daughter Melissa said she died surrounded by family and friends, and she thanked hospital staff for their "amazing care".

The comedian, best known for her lacerating wit, stopped breathing during a procedure on her vocal cords at an outpatient clinic last Thursday.

"My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh," said Melissa Rivers.

"Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."

Damn! We just lost another legend. Sad

I'm actually surprised it was even possible for her to die - I pretty much figured that Death would find himself running away after a merciless put-down in a verbal assault from her. Grin

RIP queen of the put-down and filthy joke.

Actually I will miss her.  From the lack of comments in the thread, perhaps she was a bit "before the time" of many of our members?

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »

I think she proved to be a tad too controversial for some over recent political events. Joan always was a bit of a Marmite character. Personally I simultaneously liked her and didn't at the same time. I think she could be extremely funny, obviously highly opinionated, fiercely intelligent and the dictionary definition of a razor sharp wit. I'm quite a big Sarah Silverman fan for similar reasons, and I know like a lot of people that knew her she's obviously very cut up about it. But madam Rivers did have quite a well publicised non comedic outburst about events in the Middle East recently, which came over as just a tiddly tad biased for obvious reasons, and actually made her quite unpopular. I'm not going to give my personal opinion on all that. But I will certainly acknowledge her phenomenal contribution to comedy and entertainment.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:09:43 pm »

Here's a wonderful story about Joan Rivers from Peggy Noonan:
I was lucky to have known her. I owe it to Steve Forbes, the publisher and former presidential hopeful who, with his family, owned a chateau in France near the Normandy coast. It was the family’s custom once a year to invite friends and associates for a long weekend, and in the summer of 1992 I went, and met Joan. Talk about a life force.

We all stayed in beautiful rooms. Joan amused herself making believe she was stealing the furniture. It rained through the weekend, which Joan feared would make Steve and Sabina Forbes blue, so she organized a group of us to go into town to a costume-rental place so we could put on a show. All they had was French Revolution outfits, so we took them, got back to our rooms, and Joan and I wrote a play on what we announced were French revolutionary themes. Walter Cronkite, another guest, was chosen by Joan as narrator. I think the play consisted mostly of members of Louis XIV’s court doing Catskills stand-up. It was quite awful and a big success.

The highlight of the weekend was a balloon lift, a Forbes tradition—scores of huge balloons in brilliant colors and patterns would lift from the grounds of the chateau after dawn and travel over the countryside. It was so beautiful. I stood and watched, not meaning to participate, and was half pushed into a gondola. By luck Joan was there, full of good humor and information on what we were seeing below.

We held on hard as we experienced a hard and unplanned landing on a French farm. We were spilled out onto a field. As we scrambled and stood, an old farmer came out, spoke to us for a moment, ran into his farmhouse and came back with an old bottle of calvados. He then told us he hadn’t seen Americans since D-Day, and toasted us for what America had done for his country. No one was more moved than Joan, who never forgot it.

The rest of the column is available here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/2014/09/05/joan-rivers-the-entertainer/
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:47:29 pm »

Wow, even in death Robin Williams is a tough act to follow...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:52:45 pm »

I sincerely hope to have Ms. Rivers; "WTF" attitude 20 years in the future. RIP, dear lady.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:24 am »

My Dears,
The greatest challenge to any humourist is undoubtedly what to say about dying. It seems a pity that neither Robin Williams nor Joan Rivers took the opportunity to make one last devastating quip. We had a British friend who, when visited on his deathbed, murmured "Sorry to be so macabre." There is also a story about a certain animal behaviorist who happened to attend a funeral with a dingo puppy in his briefcase. . . .
I shall begin composing my own remark right away.
C.W.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: