The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:52:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookery split from "Windows 8" thread  (Read 698 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« on: August 27, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »

Angus, if you don't like to drink Guinness, you can cook with it!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:58:26 pm by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:47 am »

Within reason - I remember (just) at a really early drag race meeting at Santa Pod (c.1976) my mate trying to cook burgers for breakfast and had forgotten the cooking fat (pause for Carry On aficionados to giggle) so he used stout - probably Newcastle Brown, maybe Guinness - whatever it was brown. Inedible. QED.

I suppose you could slow cook beef with it but I'd still rather play safe with a good London Stout...

No beef really, just pointing out the analogy does not work for everybody - a bit like Windows 8 really.

fitz

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »

Within reason - I remember (just) at a really early drag race meeting at Santa Pod (c.1976) my mate trying to cook burgers for breakfast and had forgotten the cooking fat (pause for Carry On aficionados to giggle) so he used stout - probably Newcastle Brown, maybe Guinness - whatever it was brown. Inedible. QED.

I suppose you could slow cook beef with it but I'd still rather play safe with a good London Stout...

No beef really, just pointing out the analogy does not work for everybody - a bit like Windows 8 really.

fitz

OK, two things are wrong there.

1. Minced meat, therefore burgers, contain a certain amount of fat; you don't need to add any extra fat to cook them, unless you have some kind of meat that is extra lean and has then had water added to increase its weight. The moral of this is to always make your own burger patties from meat that you have bought from a butcher you trust.

2.  Dog (i.e., Newcastle Brown Ale) is certainly neither stout nor porter. It's sweeter, less bitter, far lower proportion of burned malts, no coffee-bean flavour.

--
Keith
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:25 pm »

At least 2 Keith - I hasten to add, we didn't actually eat it, our friends did (or at least tried to) I think what was also wrong was abuse of Newcastle Broon - this you can drink - the deathly hangovers they were all nursing and the complete absence of alternative carbs to make a cure!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »

At least 2 Keith - I hasten to add, we didn't actually eat it, our friends did (or at least tried to) I think what was also wrong was abuse of Newcastle Broon - this you can drink - the deathly hangovers they were all nursing and the complete absence of alternative carbs to make a cure!

Beer is notoriusly difficult to use in cooking.  Like in beer batter.  And I've also roined a couple of bread pieces and a sauce.  You can easily get it wrong, because you are boiling off the alcohol, and with it goes the sweetness, leaving an ashy taste that may not go well with food.  It's not like cooking with wine.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:42:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Posts moved as they were off topic for thread.

BTW - Newcastle Brown Ale is no longer as good as it used to be, now that it's no longer actually BREWED up here in Newcastle. Tastes funny to me. I blame it on the North Yorkshire water - I think they are peeing in it! Sad

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34:51 pm »

BTW - Newcastle Brown Ale is no longer as good as it used to be, now that it's no longer actually BREWED up here in Newcastle. Tastes funny to me. I blame it on the North Yorkshire water - I think they are peeing in it! Sad

SS

Only the stuff sold outside Yorkshire.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: