Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 305474 times)

steampunkgrrrl

Re: Regarding names...
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2009, 04:54:18 pm »
Yep. "Steampunkgrrrl" is a little long, so most people call me by my name "Athena." I've never run into anyone that called my by my pseudonym....although I guess it's all we have to go on here. I mean, if someone sends me a picture of themselves all I have to go by is their username, not their real name.

I have a friend that I've always called "Ae" because that's her username. I know someone who uses their SCA pseudonym....probably in reality as well.

:P

markf

• Goggleologist
    • Steampunk and Retrofuture Designs of Maryland
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:38 pm »
One of the reasons I use my given name (sorta) is to prevent future confusion on my part....
Same for me.  To paraphrase a recent SF poster commenting on Keanu Reeves in the latest Jekyll & Hyde remake, I too have enough difficulty playing myself let alone a 2nd persona. markf
US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Privateering off HMAS Landeythan
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2009, 05:15:28 pm »
Haha, Vancouver Air Privateer is more of a title than a name. Though people have gotten into the habit of simply referring to me as V.A.P. which sort of has a ring to it. How would one spell that phonetically? Veehpee? Hm. In real life, my name is rather unique so my closer friends shorten my first name to an initial and refer to me as Shemingson, which has sort of stuck as a nickname.
"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Siliconous Skumins

• Server Monk
  • Governor
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »
I have been drifting around the internet for quite some time, roughly since about 1993...  In that time I have used only a couple of nicknames, though I did have a small number of fake identities which were used for "social engineering" purposes. It is extremely rare that I ever give out my real identity, mostly for reasons of privacy and security.

The name I go by here, is a small vestige of my past internet history in which I am no longer active. But the name has stuck, and so many people know me by the name, I continue to use it.  I'm also referred to by my nick in RL, and I respond to it as I do my real name.

Until recently, I had not given out my real name for over ten years, and as far as I know, only one person here knows my first name (keep it quiet you!) ;)

I'll continue to use this name, or variations of it, until such time that it is no longer practical or desireable to do so. On that day I will perform an act of "internet suicide", meaning I'll kill of all vestiges of this persona (not actually kill myself!). Maybe I'll use a new name and continue on with a new persona, maybe I'll terminate all on-line activity - who knows what the future holds.

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Sigmar

• Officer
« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2009, 05:22:31 pm »
Well Sigmar is one of my first names, but I also get called Jan or Janus at times. I don't really mind what people call me though. :-X

offtandiscord

• Gunner
  • Make the Instruments Autonomous!
    • Vulpestruments
« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:21 pm »
i've only been called by my internet moniker a few times and it's been very strange indeed. However, it's also the alias name of one of my musical projects and that's why they called me that, not through internety forum acquaintancy. So i guess it was nice to have been recognised in that respect...

angeluk

« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:53 pm »
I probably have more people know me by an online name than my real name.

Though this has resulted in me being asked what my real name is, and first asking for a definition of 'real name' :-)

Violet Rose

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #307 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »
"social engineering purposes"?
I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity

darkshines

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Miss Katonic 1898
« Reply #308 on: May 26, 2009, 07:33:25 pm »
People who know me will call me by my real name, Rose, but most people in the world call me Shiny :)
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

quantumcat

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #309 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »
I've gone through a few internet monikers and retired those I "outgrew" or those that were compromised by impostors or stalkers.

One was easily abbreviated to an RL sounding name so it pretty much took the place of my "secret identity".

(I started out with one of a half dozen names that nearly all girls were given in 1955.)

Later,I borrowed the name of one of our cats and I'm "quantumcat" or "q.c." whenever I appear online and my material realm nick everywhere else.

My husband has the same Biblical first name as my younger brother and any number of other males in my life.

He's known by his nom de toile,a nineteenth century fictional detective.

It's helpful to have different names for different sectors of one's life.

Only telemarketers,etc. call us by our legal names.

Friends and family use our  "calling" names or internet i.d.'s.

The Kernel

« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2009, 09:16:03 pm »
My BG pseudonime is the same phonetically as my old title, at that time etiquette demanded I be addressed in the third person by my title rather than my given name  (or even "Sir"!) at all times, even by old friends, with whom I had shared many experiences in some pretty adverse environments.
This became my "game-name" in laserquest and similar games, which was then transfered here.
The "nutty" aspect grew from the similarity in pronounciation, hence "The Kernel"

My real name remains, and will continue to remain, a closely guarded secret, my profession is also something I allude to but prefer not to divulge completely.

Duellist

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron
    • The Dragon's Talon
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »
Strangely, I respond to both my own name and the name 'Prince of Cats', but not duellist.  At work, we seem to instinctively go to pseudonyms whenever we play networked games, but probably just to avoid heavy thinking.  I also used to go by Prince of Cats on-stage when I was last in a band... 
Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.

Madame Blue

• Officer
    • Rushing Pages
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:32 pm »
I participate actively in a local forum (www.talkdelaware.com) where I'm known mostly as "Panama Girl", but most people there call me PG in-forum and/or "Peeg" (pronounced with a long E and a "ge" sound, like age) at the get-togethers.

For many years I have had Blue Leopard (Leoparda Azul in Spanish) as my main Internet ID. I still use it for some sites here and there, like Instructables or Twitter.
Just about anything can be made palatable with the right combination of herbs and spices... except escargot, beets and pickled pigs' knuckles.

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • I am, therefore I think.
« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:09 am »
On the two websites at which I was a fixture for years, far more people know me as "jedidiah" than by my real name. Thistlewaite's persona was an off the top creation when I first came here, but I'm really starting to like him.
Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.

JingleJoe

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • The Green Dungeon Alchemist
    • Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2009, 12:21:06 am »
My name is Joe, but my nickname is JingleJoe because I carry so much junk around with me that I jingle :) So I respond to either title.

I also respond to the following words said unclearly; no, hello, go, throw, mow, toe (Can you see where this is going? ::))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:24:15 am by JingleJoe »
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

leeps

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Philadelphia
    • Leeps on Myspace
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2009, 12:28:16 am »
Leeps is sort of an abbreviation of my real last name, and is used in a wide variety of silly ways at my house. We call each other "Leepy Leepington" or "Leepsdale" although neither of those is our name. Sometimes I call my husband "Sir Leeps-a-lot". We are very strange people.
Edward Fairfax Rochester Fan Club
("What the deuce is to do now?")

Flynn MacCallister

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • Mad SCIENTIST!
    • My LJ
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:38 am »
It's Flynn either way.

vela

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Ask me about BLOCK 616
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2009, 12:56:09 am »
Honeythorn: I had a friend who was named SeaSun.  Yup, that's how it was spelled.  She had a tattoo of a sea surrounded by the sun, on her back.  She said that way she would remember her name, no matter how drunk she got.

MechanicalMouse: I like the name "Vincent".  It is a good strong name.

V.A.P.  Now you've made me curious as to what your first name is.
It sounds like your friends lengthened you name, rather than shortened it...

JingleJoe: yes, I see where this is go-ing.

Now I ASK ALL: What name do you tell other SPs that you meet (in public?)

-Who says "Vela" isn't my real name?

-vela
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Nikola Tesla

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Angel of Timefoolery
« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07:34 am »
I'm well known enough as a Tesla fan that people who come to forums or other places where I use it have been able to guess which account had to be mine, though I know I'm not the only one out there.  If I responded to it "IRL" I'd probably find a quick trip to County Psych in the offing, similar to the one I'd get if I responded to "Napoleon".  :D  That's what happens when you use a famous name, even if it's one your friends will gladly apply to you. (I have had the surname successfully applied to me by friends, who got a response before I was exactly thinking! heh.)

I don't tend to respond to my legal moniker either, however.  Pretty much the only people to call me that are the Government.
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Capt. Morion

• Snr. Officer
  • Captain of the Stormchaser
    • R. Kimbrough Photography
« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14:22 am »
I answer to any one of five different names, none of which are my birthname (which I avoid using unless absolutely necessary). Most common is Mongoose, a name that I cannot actually recall how I got it but it's stuck for nearly six years now. Where a 'real' name is required I generally use Ronan, though that's subject to change (I've been pondering 'Derek' for a while and may give it a spin soon).

Morion is how I'm known to most of the local steamers and, while he's my first steam-persona, he's most certainly not the last so other names shall follow.
The bad guys always have the best tailors

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #320 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:11 am »
Haha, Vancouver Air Privateer is more of a title than a name. Though people have gotten into the habit of simply referring to me as V.A.P. which sort of has a ring to it. How would one spell that phonetically? Veehpee? Hm. In real life, my name is rather unique so my closer friends shorten my first name to an initial and refer to me as Shemingson, which has sort of stuck as a nickname.

Careful how many people you tell about your being V.A.P. ID   :D sorry I couldn't help it.

As For this roving jack. Nobody calls me that much in person because It's more of a brand character. In real life I'm a fairly bohemian kind of guy living cheaply and working part time in a uni kitchen. Online I live the life of a roving jack of all trades. So when people say Hey jack or something like that I feel it as if it's my own name. But I'm not that name in my day to day life. I know I'd respond to it though.

That's not saying much though. I worked with a guy who called me George by mistake for an entire year. I never corrected him and I responded to it when he called me that. It only came to light when somebody else heard him greet me and said that wasn't my name. He was some p.o.ed that I'd just let him call me by the wrong name for so many months.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Vampyroteuthis Infernalis

• Snr. Officer
  • Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.
« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2009, 04:12:13 am »
I can safely say that no one has ever called me by my on line name, or any variant of it, in RL.
But then, I really don’t go around introducing myself as a Vampire Squid From Hell, either.
The name itself was found while I was net surfing and lurking in a vampire role-playing site that I found interesting.  I wanted to play, and the name fit.
My birth name is the same as the famous roman historian of the 1st century AD, the one who told the story of Masada (and yet, people think that my birth name is also made up).

The named
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Madame Blue

• Officer
    • Rushing Pages
« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2009, 05:00:06 am »
Careful how many people you tell about your being V.A.P. ID   :D sorry I couldn't help it.

Well played, sir *golf clap* well played, indeed.

Dr. Hastings

• Zeppelin Captain
  • listen first, then learn to speak
« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2009, 05:44:01 am »
I respond to my real name, Zach Hastings, and Nerl. Zach Hastings was a name I was given by a group of friends when we kayaked out to an island and stayed there a week. Nerl is my bitstrip account name, and I just got used to it. But I hardly get called either of those because no one I hang around with was there for the name choosing.
Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:36 am »
I also answer to Sean or Shawn.

It's one of my middle names, so I sometimes give it out in the bar because it's A) more recognisable and easier to explain with the noise and B) if I don't remember someone and they call me by that name, then I'll know I met them when I was drinking.
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com