The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 16, 2019, 10:38:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 201113 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:58 am »

It's a name i have used since the dawn of the internet.. taken from one of my favorite movies... "Robot Jox".. it turns out tho that what I thought was a robot named "Elepski 42" really was "Vovalefski-42".. but the name has taken .. here is a reference...
Amazing - someone else who remembers that movie!

Egad - I had forgotten it completely!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
kutkh
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

grind on, little organ-grinder!

« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2008, 07:12:43 pm »

Kutkh is a trickster god from the Russian Far East, who is related to similar deities in native American folklore, particularly the raven/coyote. I'm a fan of the more obscure corners of mythology and I started using Kutkh (it's a westernisation of the Cyrillic spelling, which afaik is 'KYTX') for various sites and services a while ago. I have more complex reasons for choosing this name in particular, but that's basically it.

"caelum est nostri"
Alptraum
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »

Boring description alert; Boring description alert...
Alptraum is the German word for nightmare, and i first got the idea when reading the lyrics of a song by a band called Rammstein called "Mann gegen Mann" - it contains a line which is "Ich bin der Alptraum aller Väter", which translates as "I am the nightmare of all fathers."
I started using it a few years ago and it just stuck.
Elepski
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2008, 11:40:47 pm »

It's a name i have used since the dawn of the internet.. taken from one of my favorite movies... "Robot Jox".. it turns out tho that what I thought was a robot named "Elepski 42" really was "Vovalefski-42".. but the name has taken .. here is a reference...
Amazing - someone else who remembers that movie!

because it's full of chesse and win!

Marrock
« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2008, 12:16:47 am »

because it's full of chesse and win!

Well... you got the cheese part right.
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2008, 03:49:01 am »

Big mecha gladiators?  Much win is also involved, I assure you.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Marrock
« Reply #256 on: November 10, 2008, 04:03:07 am »

I remember cheesy acting and special effects of questionable pedigree, something more suited to USA's old Night Flight but I don't recall a whole lot of 'win' being involved anywhere in the production.
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #257 on: November 10, 2008, 05:00:01 am »

A bad pun, and also stolen from a novel I read years ago about a robot knight.
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer

Only going to live twice

« Reply #258 on: November 10, 2008, 05:10:23 am »

My first internet nickname was Tinkerer,  but It became quite obvious that that was too unoriginal.

So, over Five years ago I came up with Derranged Gadgeteer.  That's the absolute best and most lasting thing to come out of my preteen years. 

It is my only online alias, and as far as I know, I'm the only person to go by it.

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
Emmeline X
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Aristocratic Anarchist!

« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2008, 02:52:47 pm »

Absolutely! Robot Jox and Crash and Burn were fabulous! Obviously in a cheesy "so bad it's good" way.

J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2008, 03:51:05 pm »

I remember cheesy acting and special effects of questionable pedigree, something more suited to USA's old Night Flight but I don't recall a whole lot of 'win' being involved anywhere in the production.
Perhaps we have very different ideas of what sorts of movies are fun to watch.  Personally, I find such cheesiness (doubled in the sequel, actually) hilarious, but of course opinions are welcome to differ.  Can we agree to disagree on this point?
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2008, 04:46:04 pm »

Hans Zarkov was the scientist in the 1936–1940 Flash Gordon film serial. The "Dr" is derived from the title granted me by the Imperial Academy of Natural Philosophy. The honourific "von" was bestowed by the Imperial Court, under the kind auspices of her most gracious Highness.

I knew that!  Grin
And how come this is the first time I read about you in this forum when your post-count is so high... I am confused.  Shocked Shocked

Marrock
« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2008, 04:58:17 pm »

I'm trying to remember where I once read something were one character in the story was a bit angry and told another character to "zark off".
Alptraum
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2008, 08:36:02 pm »

It's from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. it is the name of a prophet called zarquon, and is frequently used as an insult, along with all its variants, which often seem to be based around the variants of the word f***.
sorry about the asterisked swearing.
Amelia Abney
« Reply #264 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »

Well, I wish I could say I put a lot of thought into mine.  But I didn't.

Amelia....well, I know its not steampunk, but Amelia Earhart always fascinated me.  And Abney...well, I like Abney Park, and the whole name had a nice ring to it.

That's all there is to it.
Marrock
« Reply #265 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »

It's from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. it is the name of a prophet called zarquon, and is frequently used as an insult, along with all its variants, which often seem to be based around the variants of the word f***.
sorry about the asterisked swearing.

I should have known that...

That's a problem when you read a lot, things tend to blur together after a while.
clockworkskull
Gunner

tick-tock tick-tock, death does not knock......

« Reply #266 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »

I would have to say that my user name stems from the fact that my nickname in life is Skull. Then on the opposite side i love the inter workings of clockwork and how it has its own type of elegance- like a grand waltz or play. Plus, I would imagine that the mind of a creative personality would be clockwork; so if the clockwork slipped a spring then the arts would do silly things like create modern art or talk about art in a philosophical way.
The Visionary of Dust
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »

My username: The Visionary of Dust
Well, I like to see myself as a visionary, artistically and philosophically speaking. Given the fact, however, that our world rarely has any use for Visionaries anymore, my visions are naught but dust. Thus, I decided to henceforward be referred to as the Visionary of Dust.
(it's really that simple Tongue)
Marrock
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:21 pm »

I would have to say that my user name stems from the fact that my nickname in life is Skull. Then on the opposite side i love the inter workings of clockwork and how it has its own type of elegance- like a grand waltz or play. Plus, I would imagine that the mind of a creative personality would be clockwork; so if the clockwork slipped a spring then the arts would do silly things like create modern art or talk about art in a philosophical way.

"The question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence, whether all that is profound, does not spring from disease of thought, from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." --Edgar Allen Poe
clockworkskull
Gunner

tick-tock tick-tock, death does not knock......

« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2008, 08:18:49 am »

that does sound much like a broken clock..  Cheesy
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2008, 10:31:37 pm »

"The question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence, whether all that is profound, does not spring from disease of thought, from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." --Edgar Allen Poe
I live that quote, I will have to make note of it in my journal. (Yes, I keep an actual, physical journal. I suppose that's not too weird for most of the people here though...) I have always loved Poe. Another favorite quote of mine is
There is no great beauty without some strangeness in the proportion

Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.
Stanch
Officer

[Hollow Point]

« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2008, 03:18:18 am »

Stanch was the nickname given to me by my friend Katie. Stanch is to stop the flow of liquid, from a wound in this case, she says it's from my hatred of scene kids or something.

My usual username is [Hollow Point] which comes from a time my father and I had together, when we first got my Henry .22, the first bullet I shot from my gun was a hollow point.

Take four red capsules, in ten minutes, take two more. Help is on the way.
Marrock
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2008, 03:27:44 am »

I live that quote, I will have to make note of it in my journal. (Yes, I keep an actual, physical journal. I suppose that's not too weird for most of the people here though...) I have always loved Poe. Another favorite quote of mine is

In that case, I give you...

Quote from: Edgar Allen Poe
I have great faith in fools; My friends call it self-confidence.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Marrock
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2008, 03:28:40 am »

In that case, I give you...

I have great faith in fools; My friends call it self-confidence.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
The Kernel
« Reply #274 on: November 19, 2008, 09:55:52 pm »

OK I'm finally going to own up

most reciently (and as spelt )- it was my pseudonim when playing laserquest or paintballing

That in turn was "awarded" to me as phonetically it sounds like my old rank in the Territorial Army (for those on the Western side of the pond - roughly analagous to the National Guard)

Etiquette was such that (though a "Lieutenant Colonel) I was addressed (even to my face) in the third person by my abbreviated rank - eg "would The Colonel wish to have a further glass of wine?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: