The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 16, 2019, 10:38:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 201112 times)
Marrock
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2008, 01:23:57 pm »

Nothing too clever here. Gale was my dear grandfather's first name and his mother's maiden name. I briefly considered using her name, Edith Gale, but didn't really care for the Edith part. I googled popular Victorian names and found Genevieve. Genevieve Gale just sounded right to me plus I thought G.G (Gigi) made a good nickname. And, though I am married, I went with the Miss because the persona I had in mind would not have been married.

G.G.

Gale was also Dorothy's surname in "The Wizard of Oz"
Andrew Edwards
Officer
United States United States

Tinkerer and Maker

« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2008, 01:37:46 pm »

well my first name happens to be "Andrew" and my middle name is "Edward", adding an "s" makes it less of a middle name and more of a last ^-Q

"You Sir... are a fiddler crab!"
"Balderdash! I am in no way crabby... although I am quite fiddler-ish..."
-Conversation between myself and the inventor of the "crab ray". rather odd day that was.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »

My Great Great Grandfather.

The title was indeed a courtesy title in those days, though he had served in defense of his country in the War of Northern Aggression  Smiley

My character/persona/impression is based loosely on Henry MacIver, a famous Victorian-era Soldier of Fortune.

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Prof. J. Odderwall Costom
Officer

He of the Wunderkammer

« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2008, 04:48:15 pm »

the War of Northern Aggression

I am thoroughly glad to find someone else who refers to the Late Great Unpleasantness as the War of Northern Aggression. You, sir, are the first, besides myself, whom I've encountered with that particular cant.

As to my name. It is the character name I've recently been using for my Steampunk pursuits. I knew that I wanted my name to include actual words put together that shouldn't go together, hence Odderwall. I also knew I wanted my first name to be represented by an initial, hence J. Idk how I came up with my last name, Costom, but I like it =E

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
~Shakespeare

http://ProfessorCostom.Blogspot.com
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2008, 06:23:49 pm »

Mine holds a little bit of a story I guess. Mr Clockwork, the simple reason: I tick.

In June this year I underwent major heart surgery, in which 80% of my aorta was replaced with synthetic material and the aortic valve was replaced by an artificial one, which is made of metal. .... Now seeing as the heart is quite a strong muscle it has an amount of force, and when this valves parts come in contact with each other it's hard enough that an audible click or tick is heard from out of the body (I've found that at times it can even be heard from across rooms).

Hmm, did you ever watch 'Allo 'Allo? That had a character, an undertaker by the name of Alphonse, who's catchphrase was "ooh, my Dicky Ticker!" Most often used when one of the french cafe girls had reason to remove her blouse or similar. [British humour- dirty and childish? Never!]

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Lady Felis
Gunner

« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2008, 06:54:05 pm »

Oh easy..

I am known as Felis Humanus elsewhere online,and i get confused if i change names too often, so Lady Felis it is then. Smiley

Fe

"We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment."
Marrock
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2008, 07:29:37 pm »

I could make some "pet the kitty" joke here... but I wont.
Lady Felis
Gunner

« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2008, 07:33:49 pm »

Shocked

Most rude!

Fe
Marrock
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2008, 07:41:38 pm »

How is that rude?

I didn't say anything.

If anything is rude here it's your imagination.  Wink Grin
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:44 am »

My name is Gabriel and i added crimson on the end because my room was that colour at the time. Grin
postmodernpirate
Officer
Canada Canada

--Redefining piracy for a better tomorrow---

« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2008, 05:56:54 pm »

It stemmed from a discussion in a pub... It started with pirate movies and ended in a discussion of the appropriation of culturally specific images, techniques, and copyrighted materials into contemporary Art.

"It's difficult that the seeming of good manners so often has the appearence of wanking"

-Redefining piracy for a better tomorrow-

--- Now seeking Wenches with Wrenches to enhance his Sky Pirate crew ----
teucer
Officer

« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »

I've been using it online in various places for so long it no longer feels like a pseudonym - just as the name I have on the internet. I didn't so much "pick" it on signing up here as I did verify that it wasn't taken.

It's actually the name of a Trojan archer from the Iliad, but I was inspired by Euripides' version of the character in Helen. I'm asexual; Euripides has the character of Teucer talking to Helen of Troy and failing to recognize her despite her being the most sexually attractive woman on the planet, which sort of struck a chord with me in a way I'm sure Euripides didn't intend.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Elepski
Deck Hand

« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2008, 08:08:08 pm »

It's a name i have used since the dawn of the internet.. taken from one of my favorite movies... "Robot Jox".. it turns out tho that what I thought was a robot named "Elepski 42" really was "Vovalefski-42".. but the name has taken .. here is a reference clip... I suggest watching the whole thing.. but he name drop is at about :45 seconds

Pluto
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:34 pm »

I still have to watch that movie once  Grin

Once I was fed up with my first internet username, so I decided to take another one, Pluto it became, or rather it became Pluto from below, but that last part dropped quite quickly. The name sticked, even so much that nowadays my friends call me Pluto as well. I have no problem with that, I react equally to my real name and Pluto, sometimes i even can't remember if someone called me by my real name or called me Pluto.
Maurautius
Officer

Ingenieur der musikalischen Traummaschinen

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2008, 01:11:58 am »

Mine is the first half of my middle name (all of which is 'Maurautius-DeWynter' and I swear to god that's really what it is...even though it just dawned on me how steamy it sounds) and I've used it as my username on everything for ten years or so.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."<br />
~Oscar Wilde
Angus McCarthy
Officer

« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2008, 06:40:03 am »

Angus MacGyver + Charlie McCarthy = Angus McCarthy

What? Don't look at me like that...

Train up a moustache in the way it should go, and when it is old it shall not depart from it.
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

It's a name i have used since the dawn of the internet.. taken from one of my favorite movies... "Robot Jox".. it turns out tho that what I thought was a robot named "Elepski 42" really was "Vovalefski-42".. but the name has taken .. here is a reference clip... I suggest watching the whole thing.. but he name drop is at about :45 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

It does sound like "of Elepski 42".
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:41 am »

Well, Captain is my rank onboard Silver Lining, and Phania is the shortened version of my first name. Dull, isn't it?
Lord Ivor Rubidium
Deck Hand

« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:07 am »

CaptainPhania ,
                  Your name is not in the least part dull. Phania phoentically sounds very similiar to mania. Mania leads to manic, and manic leads to the dark side eventually. You say it is your rank upon your vessel. Is this your steampunk vessel or your military vessel?

Myself:

Lord. I am legally a lord, I own land
Ivor. A good powerful name. It started as Ivor Badass (Pun intended)
Rubidium. I react, not the quickest or the most violent, but I still react.

YEAH
LIR
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2008, 05:42:29 pm »

It's a name i have used since the dawn of the internet.. taken from one of my favorite movies... "Robot Jox".. it turns out tho that what I thought was a robot named "Elepski 42" really was "Vovalefski-42".. but the name has taken .. here is a reference...
Amazing - someone else who remembers that movie!

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Marrock
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »

Amazing - someone else who remembers that movie!

I remember that flick, watched it back in the day when we were still playing the dice and paper version of Battletech... before all that clan wars nonsense.
postmodernpirate
Officer
Canada Canada

--Redefining piracy for a better tomorrow---

« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2008, 09:08:38 pm »

I always find it amazing the movie references that pop up in this forum, I actually owned a copy of Robot Jox that someone got me for my birthday... Alas it has long since disappear into the aether

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:31 pm »

Hans Zarkov was the scientist in the 1936–1940 Flash Gordon film serial. The "Dr" is derived from the title granted me by the Imperial Academy of Natural Philosophy. The honourific "von" was bestowed by the Imperial Court, under the kind auspices of her most gracious Highness.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Isaiah_Glass
Officer

« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2008, 12:10:28 am »

My name comes from two sources, one, Isaiah came from the b g s p ng, as has already been mentioned, and Glass seemed to fit, so i supplemented it is, apparently according to Google i was born in 1848, and died in 1929.

I have no title, as i do not see myself as earning one yet.
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:36 am »

CaptainPhania ,
                  Your name is not in the least part dull. Phania phoentically sounds very similiar to mania. Mania leads to manic, and manic leads to the dark side eventually. You say it is your rank upon your vessel. Is this your steampunk vessel or your military vessel?
Thanks, but I will have to correct you on the phonetics of my name - it's short for Stephania. So it's not that close to mania. However, with a little stretching and an odd accent, it's possible  Wink
I'm only captain on my steampunk vessel. I'm not eligable for the airforce or the navy, unfortunately, so I will only ever be captain of an imaginary ship. Unless I steal a real one, and proclaim myself captain. That could work...

According to Google, I was born in 1836, and died in 1918. That's actually rather promising!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: