The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 03:25:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 137874 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1600 on: June 26, 2015, 10:53:58 am »

Caledonian comes from Caledonia, which is Scotland. Caledonian would mean from Caledonia. and even though I'm not actually from Scotland, I have a great interest in Celtic history that might return in my clothing. 
My shoulder dragon is called Salmacis. after the nymph from the metamorphosis of Hermaphroditus.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
funkdaddy
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1601 on: July 05, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »

Declan Otis Allen, middle and last name taken from my maternal grandfather. I've always liked the name Declan, and I have built a history around this character, just a coincidence the initials are D.O.A.  I also like the one of the names that Nephele generated, Cepheus K. Flintenham.

"I am not what is called a civilized man, professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me. Therefore I do not obey its laws." ~ Captain Nemo
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #1602 on: July 13, 2015, 04:42:03 am »

Thanks to Nephele's 'Hidden Steampunk Name' thread I'm changing my name to,

Neptune Darkwaters Skullheap

Grave Robber, Gambler and all around great guy.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Edgar Gearsworth
Swab

Brazil Brazil

« Reply #1603 on: July 18, 2015, 02:24:51 am »

Edgar is the protagonist of Summon Night 2: Swordcraft Story, that game marked me a lot, so it's like a tribute to him, I usually make my second name by mixing two words, so I guess Gear and Worth are, well... Worth!
Mazrim260
Deck Hand

« Reply #1604 on: August 20, 2015, 05:27:06 am »

Names... Mazrim is shamelessly taken from "The wheel of Time" fantasy novel series mostly because I am absolutely worthless at coming up with male names.  Every male character I have ever made is named after a book character.  I have dozens of female names all original and unique and i use them everywhere in gaming and hand them off to friends who need assistance, but for guys like myself... I have nothing.

In general I do try and adjust or combine names from multiple sources but I can't quite get that hook for something truly original.
Rev. Bradshaw
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1605 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:00 pm »

The second part taken shamlessly from the eminent Victorian gentleman Mr Bradshaw who created railway guides and even produced a book for visitors to London in 1862.  The first part is a bit of a joke on the missionaries of the era and instead I decided to make my persona an explorer instead to spice up life.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1606 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:23 pm »

Courcelle is my great-grandfathers name. He ran a pub in Bermondsey, London, in the 1880's when Jack the Ripper was terrorising Whitechapel. His daughter, my grandmother (born 1884) told me that the policemen had to go about in pairs for safety but she and her sister never felt threatened - and also that great-grandfather never allowed swearing in the bar if there were any ladies present!
I chose Cora just because it sounds so nice.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Dr Robert Maycock
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1607 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

I've two....Dr Robert Maycock, which I use in more casual times and in everyday situations. , and Captain Alaric Blackhawk, who tends to wear military gear , helmet and face mask. I could go to the supermarket as Dr Robert no problem at all, but it would raise a few eyebrows if I were to do so as Capt. Blackhawk
Alpherus Dex
Deck Hand

@unclesigsig
« Reply #1608 on: January 29, 2016, 04:40:51 am »

Originally Alferus, recently changed to the "real world" Alpherus, was a name I came up with but just randomly generating letters in Word over a decade ago until I came up with something I liked the sound of.
Dex was chosen as a little nod to Jason Momoa's character Ronon Dex in Stargate Atlantis.
I've used the name for a few different things, be it Al'Ferus Dex for the Mandalorian Mercs, or even as my maon WoW character.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #1609 on: January 29, 2016, 07:33:13 am »

i Chose the Name Cmdr. Storm because I've read many Adventure Novels and Noticed that Many British Naval Officiers had manes that Sounded Weather Related or may have Come from Family Names that Sounded like Weather! i chose the rank Because it Sounded Formal & Military Proper.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #1610 on: March 21, 2016, 09:26:14 pm »

I've only just got into Steampunk, and decided I should start with a name.  After many hours trying various "Steampunk Name Generators" online, I came across the one on Brass Goggles, and with a slight variation of my real name, we came up with "Doctor Byron Goodall".  I was about to dismiss it when I realised that if worded as "Dr. B Goodall", it was a bit of a play on words meaning "(Dr.) Be Good All" - which suits me perfectly, as if everyone else is having a good time, so am I.  From that name, I have started to build my character in the Steampunk world...  Wink

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #1611 on: April 13, 2016, 09:40:04 am »

My alter ego's name is Elias Ashmole Crackbone. Or perhaps I am his alter ego; this thought sometimes occurs to me in the early morning hours when sleep insists on eluding me.......

The original Elias Ashmole (1617-1692) was, of course, the celebrated seventeenth century antiquary, politician, Royalist, alchemist and Freemason, one of the founder members of the Royal Society and contemporary of Isaac Newton, Robert Hooke, and many others of those striving against the odds to invent the modern scientific worldview.

The name Crackbone came to me, again, in the sleepless early hours of one morning about two or three years ago, apropos of nothing really. I liked the sound of it, so I decided it was an Anglicization of the French name Craquebonne (which seems to mean Good Crack, although I hope it doesn't); this in itself, I decided, seemed to be a Frenchification of a Gaelic original, Carraig-Bheann, which supposedly means Stone of the Woman or Stone of the Maiden, or possibly Bride's Stone. Then I discovered the Bridestones, a group of standing stones in north-east Cheshire, which legend attributes to St. Bride or St. Bridget, a Christianised version of Brigid, the Celtic Goddess  of healing, poetry and - smithcraft. And thus of metalworking, invention, and technology generally. A fitting Patron Goddess for myself, I decided. I lived for over 25 years within fifty miles of the Bridestones, but never visited them until just a few years ago.

Then of course there's Maidstone, in Kent, which seems to mean the same thing. I've never been there.....

So Elias Ashmole Crackbone it is.

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #1612 on: May 18, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »

Lord Montague Honeybun at your service. Lady Matilda will join me shortly. Thank you.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1613 on: May 20, 2016, 03:15:24 am »

Is there a story behind those names, Lord Montague?

Kindest regards,
Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #1614 on: May 30, 2016, 10:40:41 pm »

My wife saw a cafe called Honeybuns and it amused her for ages (it doesn't take much). I always saw myself, in my fevered mind, as part of the landed gentry & just thought 'Montague' fitted in rather well.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #1615 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:34 pm »

Penny Lovelace.
Penny is derived from my last name, which to much amusement is 'Penfold' (Danger Mouse, anyone?). I dislike my first name, and have started introducing myself as Penny.
Lovelace comes from Ada Lovelace. Ironically, I'm terrible with numbers  Roll Eyes

I just loved the sound of both names together Cheesy I used to go by Clockwork Lilith, even on here. I like the myth surrounding Lilith, and the idea of a clockwork Lilith seemed like a bit of an enigma.

Currently I'm building back up from scratch, and I have a character in mind that I seemed to have name 'Defiance'. I'm not actually sure why, I saw it on a list of gypsy names and thought it sounded fitting Smiley

Kind Regards,
Penny

CaptTJAtkins
Swab

« Reply #1616 on: July 16, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »

Hello, my Steampunk  name ( Theodore Julius Atkins ) comes from my favorite President, my favorite Shakespeare play, and a branch of my family tree.
Madame VanDeusen
Swab

« Reply #1617 on: August 09, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »

I haven't yet fashioned a clever first name. I use my husbands' last name and go by Madame VanDeusen. It sounds kinda cool and fits who I am. An "older" lady of Victoriana living in this wonderful Steampunk dream.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #1618 on: October 08, 2016, 03:35:45 am »

My steampunk persona is named Captain Annemarie von Preußen. A lot of thought went into some parts, and others not so much!

The last name is the product of loads of research. She's the daughter of a Germanic baron/freiherr, and I wanted her name to reflect her heritage. I chose von Preußen because it's the name of a real noble family (but mostly because it sounds fancy Grin ). I was originally going to change her last name because she got disowned/ran away, but I decided to stick with the original (again, because fancy names are fun and sort of a characteristic of steampunk persons).

Annemarie is a mix-up of my grandmother's name, Marianne. I think both are very beautiful with or without the German pronunciation! I've also adored the name Anne (with an E) ever since reading the Anne of Green Gables books.

The Captain part comes from my character having her own ship and declaring herself captain (even though she has zero experience and generally sucks at her job).

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Lady Baroness
Swab

« Reply #1619 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »

I chose the name Lady Baroness because I feel that it fits someone that seems that they could be a villainess. I didnt think I'd ever be a villain in my own eyes, but I love the name and how the persona allows me to release that part of myself. It is a wonderful outlet.

Lady

<i> I go through the motions again and again
But you are not here to see them
I go through the emotions again and again
And this time I actually feel them</i>
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1620 on: October 14, 2016, 02:16:31 am »

I used part of my name, a nod to John Locke and a reference to a company's product for my name.

backstory, my plan was to be an alternate reality explorer, from a variant Texas where they did not join the US, nor side with the South in its war between the states.

A retired cavalry man, air division, he signed up for a different kind of adventure when gaps between realities was discovered.

Allows for a nod toward shooting or aeronatical skills, and accounts for just about any historical anachronism I might encounter or have on my outfit.

xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #1621 on: October 24, 2016, 01:14:32 am »

I'm still somewhat coming up with my steampunk name but i do know what i want to make my attire to look like, i'm going for an English Gentleman style look and have my character be famous for his knowledge of all the flavoured tea's in the world and his last name will be Brewer (meaning another word for a cup of tea) but im just missing what kind of first name i could give him, i was thinking more along the lines of a eccentric professor but im sure professors don't dabble in the art of tea etc, any suggestions would be helpful!.

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill Quotation
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1622 on: October 24, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »

I'm still somewhat coming up with my steampunk name but i do know what i want to make my attire to look like, i'm going for an English Gentleman style look and have my character be famous for his knowledge of all the flavoured tea's in the world and his last name will be Brewer (meaning another word for a cup of tea) but im just missing what kind of first name i could give him, i was thinking more along the lines of a eccentric professor but im sure professors don't dabble in the art of tea etc, any suggestions would be helpful!.

Professors can dabble in whatever they wish - but, like mad scientists, they should be kept away from large red buttons or levers which say 'Do Not Push'!
How about calling yourself 'Tobias', then you really could be a T.Brewer.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #1623 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:13 pm »

Funny how you mention the name Tobias / T.Brewer one of my dearest and most oldest friends on skype came up with that exact name, the thing is, i have another alter-ego named Tobias Reyener for another thing i'm into and wanted to start with a fresh name to avoid name clashes, so i'm after something more Tea/noble-class related. but thanks for the name suggestion anyway though! ^_^
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1624 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:06 pm »

here's a few Terrence, Thaddeus, Theodore, Thomas, Timothy, Tiberius, Tyrone.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: