The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 14, 2019, 06:18:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 200838 times)
Indigo Spire
Officer
United States United States

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #1400 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:18 am »

Indigo Spire is the name of a fabric color, always loved the way it sounded.
Have been using it for about ten years now. Kiss
Alexander Rose
Swab

« Reply #1401 on: February 22, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »

Mine is my actual name, minus 2 letters and an apostrophe Wink
Alodia
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1402 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:54 pm »

Finally, a place to unload all of this!
Before deciding on a name, I worked out a ton of her history - a lot being to do with her childhood. She came from a middle class family who were complete weeds on the community - using everyone they could and being seen everywhere and with everyone of importance in vain attempts to drag themselves up to the high class. My persona has white eyes, and they hated the fact that they had bred a 'deformed' child, and so her mother was very stand-offish and uncaring towards her (not unlike Daisy in The Great Gatsby) whilst her father was an abusive drunkard. She ran from home when was 10 and learnt to fend for herself on the streets before a Priest took her in, allowing her to stay in the church. She is now 19 and a crackswoman, although I also count her as an explorer as well, as she is constantly on the move. She loves anonymity and invisibility (rather apt for her life) and will attack first and ask questions later.

So (if you are still here, I suppose I did go on quite a bit), in come the names.
Her true name is Victoria Nethersole. Victoria is due to her parents being social climbers (naming their daughter after the aristocracy seems tacky to us but of course they didn't realise this). Nethersole is what I got as a surname in the name generator, and the more I thought about it the more it made sense - she likes to stay 'below the radar' after all, and is constantly being though of as being below everyone else, not worthy of being on the bottom of their shoe, and she walks every where. Hence nether and sole suddenly seemed perfect.
Alodia is the patron saint of child abuse and runaways (spooky, I found this after I worked out her story) and I thought that as she was aided by a Priest that a saint was appropriate. Of course she wanted to hide from her irate father and anyone who may recognise her hence an alias was necessary.

Alodia
Captain Marcus Stahlsturm
Gunner
England England

Scoundrel, rascal, pirate captain and philosopher

« Reply #1403 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Im just a little obsessed with airships and my character is the captain of a pirate airship.  Marcus was just a random, moderately cool name. My character's surname is actually Eisensturm which is German for Ironstorm which is fitting for a pirate methinks.  Got mixed up with my German though when i entered my name and so my username is Stahlsturm which is Steelstorm. I like the sibilance but im pretty sure cannon balls weren't made of steel

"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"
Lynks
Deck Hand

« Reply #1404 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:55 am »

Lynks is a name I came up with years ago for several reasons.  It is a word play on the cat Lynx and chainmail links as i am a cat person who has encountered several lynx's or bobcats in the wild.  As for the chainmaill i have been making mail and working with metal as a hobby since i was a kid.  I also like the connotation of linking or joining that my name has, I try to find commonality and roots with whatever i do or research.
Chaos Zum Aufziehen
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Point me to the ale!

« Reply #1405 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:36 pm »

right, this is gonna take some explaining- basically my name translates to "Chaos Driven By Clockwork" or "Clockwork Chaos" the clockwork just seemed pretty steamy, and Chaos comes from my wanting a band called "Chaos Theatre" which is both a refernce to Scott Pilgrim, and a band i like called "Dream Theater" also the band has made an album called "Systematic Chaos" so it's kinda a nod to that as well, so i thought it fits quite well... and frankly "Chaos driven by clockwork" sounds pretty awesome too! Tongue
Lucy Lockhart
Deck Hand
England England

"When women go wrong, men go right after them." Ma

Alexandra Peel
« Reply #1406 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »

My, it has been fun reading all these names, I'm not sure how many I have read (10 minutes worth) jolly good. Lucy Lockhart, thats me:
Lockhart: a wee bit obvious -locked heart, sounds like Lockhard in some accents -  a little bit tough, Lockheed - the starfighter, and Sally Lockhart from the Phillip Pullman series.
Lucy adds a feminine touch.
PS: Sir Henry, would that be the Sir Henry of Rawlinson End?!

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1407 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »

right, this is gonna take some explaining- basically my name translates to "Chaos Driven By Clockwork" or "Clockwork Chaos" the clockwork just seemed pretty steamy, and Chaos comes from my wanting a band called "Chaos Theatre" which is both a refernce to Scott Pilgrim, and a band i like called "Dream Theater" also the band has made an album called "Systematic Chaos" so it's kinda a nod to that as well, so i thought it fits quite well... and frankly "Chaos driven by clockwork" sounds pretty awesome too! Tongue

Clockwork Chaos would be an awesome name for a band as well, a Steampunk Metal band.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1408 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »

My, it has been fun reading all these names, I'm not sure how many I have read (10 minutes worth) jolly good. Lucy Lockhart, thats me:
Lockhart: a wee bit obvious -locked heart, sounds like Lockhard in some accents -  a little bit tough, Lockheed - the starfighter, and Sally Lockhart from the Phillip Pullman series.
Lucy adds a feminine touch.
PS: Sir Henry, would that be the Sir Henry of Rawlinson End?!
Indeed it would, my dear. Delighted to make your acquaintance. I hope your stay here will be inspiring, invigorating and insane.

And glad to see that I'm not the only one who has fond memories of the late Captain Lockheed.
Ground Control to Pilot

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
queenofgoblins
Gunner
England England

Peruser Of Tomes, Consumer Of Tea

« Reply #1409 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:39 pm »

I really want to change mine. I didn't realise you couldn't when I signed up and am now stuck with it ]=

Est melius esse solitarius quam in malam societatem.
Gunner
England England

« Reply #1410 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:19 pm »

I really want to change mine. I didn't realise you couldn't when I signed up and am now stuck with it ]=
Tell me about it. I failed with mine when I got confused with my German metals. Also, my persona has evolved and now his name is Captain Dimitri Marco Eisensturm. Too late now I guess  Sad
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1411 on: March 08, 2012, 09:45:31 pm »

Tell me about it. I failed with mine when I got confused with my German metals. Also, my persona has evolved and now his name is Captain Dimitri Marco Eisensturm. Too late now I guess  Sad

Ah, its just a forum. Personally, I suffer from Multiple Persona Disorder. I have at least 3 different fully formed personas with varying names(Lt. Thomas Corvidae, Dr. Edward Matthews, Tom o' Ravens, etc) And more keep popping up all the time! In fact, its somewhat easier because then you could have interaction with the different personas (Dr. Matthews invents the technology that Lt. Corvidae uses on a regular basis).

Just have fun with all names!
Gunner
England England

« Reply #1412 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:09 pm »

I've been interested in steampunk for years but its only recently that i've actually become one. I haven't come up with other personas at the moment but im coming up with characters which make up the crew of the Isabella. I've just found a gorgeous leather-bound notebook with a tiger-eye stone on the cover in my backpack the other day. I didn't even know I had it and now i want to buy a fountain pen or even a quill and record the exploits and adventures of Captain Marco.
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #1413 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

I simply put my name into the Steampunk Name Generator and got Maxwell Cooper, to add a bit of class I then added my second name (while keeping my surname) and got Bertram Cooper. Put it all together and I got Maxwell Bertram Cooper, not terribly exciting but I am have a lot of fun thinking up his background (I always did enjoy inventing new characters).

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Bree L.
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #1414 on: March 27, 2012, 10:33:21 am »

Well... My username is just my own name, as I find that occasionally I get tired of my persona's... And since you may only name your account once, I stuck to my own birth name (well, shortened version of first name and first letter of middle name, but anyhow) because, well, that'll never get old. I do occasionally introduce myself as Alena 'Lena' Hawk when I would prefer not to give away my name.

"Anxiety is the essential condition of intellectual and artistic creation.”
- Charles Frankel
LadyOpheliaAntoinette
Deck Hand

« Reply #1415 on: March 31, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »

Well I am Miss/ Lady Opehlia Antoinette.

Two fairly common names.

One blatantly obvious thing that links them both.

We all know who Ophelia is
and if you dont please go read hamlet.. now.. do it

And we all know who marie antoinette is.

And I am an overly emotional wreck [with the ever increasing possibility of bi-polar or schitzophrenia]

Also last night I dreamt of a lovely Miss Penny Farthing...  of whom is halfway into becoming the latest painting character

Beware of the Perilous twins.
Conjoined at the heart.
Choral
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1416 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:44 pm »

Choral is the nickname of Beethoven's 9th symphony, which is one of the most amazing pieces of music ever written in my humble opinion (if you don't know it or only know the last past where the choir starts singing, try listening the second movement somewhere - it's brilliant)

That's where I got it from, it kind of stuck. I also like the fact that not too many people know that it comes from Beethoven's 9th, so it appears as any other normal name, without the connotation of 'being a fan of something', but more neutral.

Perhaps I talk in weird sentences, but I hope you catch my meaning.
Evelina Sparrow
Deck Hand

« Reply #1417 on: April 02, 2012, 05:10:11 am »

Well, I have been lurking on the forums for a while.  I have not allowed myself to join a forum since I was in middle school as I have a tendency to get rather obsessive, but this seemed like a particularly classy message board, so I thought I would have a go at it.

Because of my lurking, I realized that many people had actually created full names, as opposed to the more childish screen names I was used to in my younger years (haha, because I'm so old now...).  It seemed like a fun opportunity to create a new name and something of an identity.  I chose Evelina because I love elegant names that have several diminutives.  For instance, I would expect many people to shorten the name to either Evie or Lina to indicate familiarity (my first choice would be Evie).  And, I just like the last name "Sparrow."  It was slightly inspired by the main character in the infamous Doctor Who episode "Blink."  You know the one.  However, I had liked the name before that.  I also appreciated that the names formed a trochaic hexameter.  I just like the rhythm.  Thus, Evelina Sparrow was born.

-Evie
Prof. Bernard T Carter
Swab

« Reply #1418 on: April 10, 2012, 07:13:23 pm »

Not hugely imaginative I'm afraid:

Professor Bernard Thomas Carter

a combination of:
Professor Bernard Quatermass,
Thomas Carnacki &
Randolph Carter

Father Ben
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1419 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »

I work on sundays at my local church and I am ben... kinda boring but original I think.... I think theres a guy by that name in Father Ted too

Peace Be with you
MattieFinch
Deck Hand

« Reply #1420 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:03 am »

There's so much that goes into a name. Especially when you choose one for yourself.

I used the Brass Goggles name generator, and using my real name it gave me "Mattie Bachelor" I really liked it, but I wanted to give it a personal touch so I changed the last name into "Finch". I don't really know why, but it was the first name to pop into my head and I really liked the sound of it.

So, "Matilda 'Mattie' Finch" is my persona's full name. I have a ton of comic ideas for her that I'd like to try and flesh out eventually. I'd like to imagine she's the more extreme part of my personality. She's mad, truly insane at times, but she can be serious, devious, and her curiosity leads her to some interesting and fun adventures.
Robert The Red Cap
Deck Hand
Korea, Republic of Korea, Republic of

Gravatar

Don't get ye nickers in a twist love, thats my job

« Reply #1421 on: April 22, 2012, 11:13:45 am »

As a writer names are often the hardest part of a character for me to come up with. So I came up with characteristics first and built the name off of that.

At heart I am a fun loving rather impish fellow, but with a strong sense of honor and chivalry. I also am a fan of old legends and myths, particularly the fey. Through in enough crazy to make me adorable and i came up with a quirky man who loves to help others but is a bit on the odd/destructive side. After that I gave him a quirk and went with only wearing a red bowler hat at nearly all times.

Thus the nickname Red Cap was born, however I needed something more substantial. I used my real first name, simply because I never have before and it starts with an R. Then looked up a surname that had the word Red in it and then got nutty and found a middle name with the word Cap in it.

Thus Robert Capri Redwin, The Red Cap was brought into the world.
Margareta Nordenswan
Swab

Finland Finland

Gravatar

« Reply #1422 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:40 am »

My username is my real middle name and my mother's maiden name. My "alter ego" (if i had one) would be an eccentric upper-class lady, and this sounded like a good name for her.

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat
How I wonder what you're at
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea-tray in the sky
TheDevilsBlood
Swab

« Reply #1423 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »

The Devil's Blood is one of my favorite bands.

The Devils Blood - Christ Or Cocaine
Royston Vasey
Gunner

« Reply #1424 on: May 12, 2012, 02:16:38 pm »

Well, my real name is Roy but folks like to wind me up sometimes by calling me Royston which I guess sounds a bit more distinguished.

Of course Royston Vasey (You'll never leave) is the fictional village setting of the tv series 'The league of Gentlemen'.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: