The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2019, 03:53:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 201244 times)
CaptMacLeod
Deck Hand
United States United States

Second star to the right and over that way.

« Reply #1375 on: January 05, 2012, 02:09:30 am »

Captain Robert Arthur Alexander Llewellyn MacLeod
Robert is my "real" name its just easier that way. Arthur because I have always been a king Arthur nut. Alexander after Alexander the freat always a man i admired. Llewellyn after the Welsh prince Llewellyn the Great. Macleod from my love of Scotland and of course Highlander. yes I am in fact a fan boy.

Captain of the Airship Eldritch Rose. Purveyor of rare and unusual artifacts.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1376 on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:42 am »

"questionable experiments  involving plant research."

Dear Lord on his Golden Throne, Lady Toadflinger, what exactly constitutes a questionable plant?

I'm having very odd thoughts involving vines, and perhaps seed pods.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:52:19 am by Kieranfoy » Logged

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1377 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »

Kieranfoy,
It is the experiments which are questionable, not the plants. (although some of the plants can be pretty dodgy critters!)  I have tired of the same old boring immoble plants, and am looking to create some lively botanical specimens. (remember some of the plants on the original Star Trek TV show?) Vines do indeed feature in some of these experiments...... creepy, crawly, twining things, with spines and explosive seed pods...

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1378 on: January 06, 2012, 02:53:25 am »

So, you're a mad botanist? How utterly delightful, and how wonderous to meet one who takers her cue from TOS.

Any jelly-fish like things that drop from the ceiling and fasten onto your head, yet?
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1379 on: January 06, 2012, 03:17:44 am »

Ah! Unfortunately, the jellyfish type beasties kept trying to drop onto my Dachshunds, and I will not allow any harm to my hounds!  I had to discontinue that line of research.  I am currently working on developing a vine that can shoot its spines on command. (the rascals keep firing at their own whim)  Perhaps this plant would work to deter the deer that ravage gardens in our area! Hmmmmm......
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1380 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:56 am »

Thanks for the lead on Ernest Rutherford...it was a good read.  I may have to do some more research on him.

The read on Dame Rutherford was interesting to say the least.  I'm not sure how you connected the other's to her, but I did get a laugh out of it!

Easy:
detectives...
their writers...
timetravel backwards...
previous:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
ergo:
Sherlock Holmes

You, my dear Sir, might take a hint from Dr. Watson and see the total clarity and logic in my thought process...   ...     Grin LOL

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Sgt_Queensbury
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Ability to Blow Stuff Up Is Always Useful Sir.

« Reply #1381 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:23 pm »

I fancied some kind of military rank, but not to high as i didn't want to make decisions. but not as low to be bossed about by people who want to move their drinks cabinet  30cm closer to the enemy at the cost of my life.

Queensbury comes from Queensbury rules (look them up) which i believe was invented by some kind of person of military status, for use in a bawl with somebody else. also to ensure no dishonest cheating occurs in unarmed combat. another unwritten rule is you do not "kill" an unarmed man. he is given a weapon or you disarm yourself. also common curtosy tells you not to engage is a fight with a lady. As a gentleman i obey these in the odd punch up. sorry I'm droning.

I Claim India for Britain!
You can't claim us we live here
Do you have a flag?
We don't need a flag, 1.2 billion of us
No flag No country that's the rules that i have just made up. and to back it up i have this gun that was lent to me from the national rifle association
Gustaf Danielsson
Officer

Troll Hunter and Arctic Explorer

« Reply #1382 on: January 17, 2012, 11:52:04 pm »

My persona is an arctic explorer. My wife's ancestors were from Finland, so I just went up the family tree to her great-grandfather, Daniel Gustaf Danielsson. I also learned some interesting history in that they were from a region of Finland that spoke Swedish, and hence used the Swedish naming convention of <father's name>+son or dotter.

~Dataman~
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

Dark soul, shadow hanging over internet...

8Dataman8
« Reply #1383 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:13 am »

My username is result of long development work.
First, I make name "Datamies" (It's finnish, and means Dataman Wink). It was good in small time. Then I started to go english-based forums, and transformed the name to english version, Dataman.
But then I noticed that Dataman is very used name, and I have to make my name something special, and I done it using these "~"-marks in both sides of name.
Cool flag  Smiley

lightfingerslace
Deck Hand

« Reply #1384 on: January 20, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »

I haven't quite settled on a name yet, although I do really like the anagrams I was given:
Lady Cicely X. Boomdale
Lady Melodica X. Cobley
Lady Lyceia X. McBoodle) 

for now I'm going by my pirate name....

Light Fingers Lace; cutpurse, musician, and surgeon.  Considering my pilot/captain tossed me out, i'm now persuing my true love of creepy crawlies and am looking for a new air ship to join hoping to travel the world and discover many new spieces that will need names as well.  Dear me, if I can't name myself how will I name all the critters I find?

Katiaandcake
Deck Hand

What do you mean, it's escaped AGAIN?

« Reply #1385 on: January 22, 2012, 12:15:51 am »

Katia Goldwell

A good friend of mine used to call me Katia all the time. Not my name, but I like it so I adopted it. Goldwell? That was just a random thing I picked.
Poe
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #1386 on: January 22, 2012, 11:11:52 am »

Hmm. I chose my name after a relatively obvious poet.. although I'm very aware it's not exactly what you'd call a 'steam' name. Oh well, it portrays my persona well.
I honestly think Abney would be fine, on its own. I like shorter names, evidently.
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #1387 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »

Kieranfoy,
It is the experiments which are questionable, not the plants. (although some of the plants can be pretty dodgy critters!)  I have tired of the same old boring immoble plants, and am looking to create some lively botanical specimens. (remember some of the plants on the original Star Trek TV show?) Vines do indeed feature in some of these experiments...... creepy, crawly, twining things, with spines and explosive seed pods...

Sounds like You would get along smashingly with a colleague of mine Prof. Nerbotz. You can read about one of my run ins with his Plants here.

As Always, It is good to see more Men (and Ladies) Of Science about.

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1388 on: January 25, 2012, 02:37:26 am »

Professor Masters,
Thank you for the heads-up.  I'll be sure to be quite careful when dealing with Basil plants. So far, the only spices or herbs I've dealt with are some of the mint species.( They show promise, as they are known to be invasive little buggers. One can almost catch the fiends sneaking out of their pots into other pots!) Well, back to the greenhouses!
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #1389 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:55 am »

Mind the Triffids.

the drifting by
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Miss Ariel Enfield
Deck Hand

« Reply #1390 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:24 am »

Mine came about because I'm more than a bit obsessed with motorcycles. Ariel and Enfield are two of the oldest manufacturers of motorcycles in the UK. Ariel started out making Penny-Farthings way back around 1870 and the name came from the name of one of these Penny-Farthings. They also merged with another company and produced a de Dion steam-engine powered trike in 1898. Enfield comes from Royal Enfield. They also started out making bicycles in the 1890s including a de Dion steam-engined "quadricycle". As I have a passion for motorcycles, in particular vintage and classic ones, the name Miss Ariel Enfield means something to me.

"When I first saw a motorcycle, I got a message from it," she said. "It was a feeling – the kind of thing that makes a person burst into tears hearing a piece of music or standing awestruck in front of a fine work of art." - Theresa Wallach
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1391 on: January 25, 2012, 08:30:30 am »

Welcome.

The sound of an old British bike going by will always raise a smile. Though I'm more of an AJS man myself (which may have something to do with the fact that those are also my initials).

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Miss Phoebe Stallybrass
Gunner

Bluestocking at large

« Reply #1392 on: January 25, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »

"Stallybrass..." Some years ago, a friend showed me The Onedin Line on video (she'd seen it in her youth in Holland), in which Ann Stallybrass played a starring roll.  "Stallybrass" struck me as one of the most interesting names I'd ever heard.

When I decided to finally join this forum, I realized that Stallybrass was ideal for a steampunk persona.  So I looked up a list of nineteenth century names for women, and "Phoebe" seemed to suit me and go with the surname well enough.

(As for "Miss..."  Well, I wanted some sort of form of address, but balked at the presumption of calling myself "Lady."  And so, as I have never been married, "Miss" it was.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:48:08 pm by Miss Phoebe Stallybrass » Logged
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1393 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »

My now living in Texas, far from the clutches of the The Empire and it's Tower of London, allowed me to write down a summary of my adventures and my being referred to as the "greatestescaper".  I posted about it here:

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Sebastion clankcog
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1394 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:34 am »

For my name i really liked the Sebastion in the Mortal Instruments series
Clankcog came from the Leviathan series, i really like the clankers but wanted to add something gearish
and now it is only after making this post that i realize i spelled sebastian wrong

good day 

A Gentleman and a Scholar
Protoman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1395 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:23 pm »

Of all of the names I have gone by, Protoman is the most recent name I have used as my persona. In the dystopian spin on the Megaman series written by a band named "The Protomen", Dr. Light created Protoman as a weapon to fight against an army of robots led by his rival Dr. Wily. Although Protoman fought bravely, and alone, he died at the hands of Wily's robots as a crowd of fearful humans watched, too afraid to fight for themselves. His willing sacrifice for the sake of others who did not have the courage to stand up for themselves encouraged me to carry on his name. I use it when I assume I am going into something alone.
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #1396 on: February 10, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »

Mines not so exciting I'm afraid. Bookgal because I'm a librarian and a huge reader (and I thought gal sounded funnier than girl) and I was born in 1977.  Cheesy

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
House
Swab

« Reply #1397 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:39 am »

Well, mine is the name most people call me, due to the fact that I need to walk with a cane.

Always had a soft spot for House MD for a number of reasons. Being a fan of Fry & Laurie from a young age, I obviously like Hugh's character. But moreover, I also admire the relationship between House & Wilson mirroring that of Holmes & Watson.

I have always felt akin to Sherlock and House. Natural puzzle-solver really.

Simple!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1398 on: February 18, 2012, 05:53:20 am »

Well,let's see.
Drew is my wifes maiden name-we've always used it for reservations,etc. because it was a lot easier to not screw up than my last name.
P is my first initial.
And together it's sounds like my other persona "Droopy". As in Droopy the cartoon dog. A quiet type person whom you wouldn't want to set off because it'll probably make me mad Roll Eyes  Wink  Cheesy

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
robotmastern
Snr. Officer

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #1399 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:07 am »

Origionaly I wanted robot master nerd but that was taken when I was creating an aol account so I shortend it. I was on the highschool robotics team at the time and still plan on being a robotics engineer
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: