The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 17, 2019, 06:12:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 201117 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1350 on: November 05, 2011, 07:40:11 am »

During the Crimean War he was a surgeon for the British Army, however; seeing the gruesome injuries on a daily basis took its toll on his sanity.  He wished he could save the souls of these unfortunate men and using the research of his friend Micheal Faraday, started to invent machines that would harness the energy of beings from the spiritual realm, this device was supposed to be able to communicate with these souls and; if necessary allow them to be transported to better places.  However, a darker use for this device would be found - and to the doctor who lacked the sanity and empathy of normal people after these dark times of war, those dark abilities of his invention would become more alluring.

And you intend to build these machines…?

…Please?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Insp. Baskerville Durham
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"Investigator of Heinous Events"

« Reply #1351 on: November 05, 2011, 08:25:24 am »

Well I am an ex-Durham Police officer and I have given my little dog the alter-ego name of Baskerville as he is a fearful hound so put the two together et voila !

pic of Baskerville -

DrSNewington
Deck Hand

« Reply #1352 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:17 am »

…Please?

Hold on...  Are you referring to me in RL, or my character.  In RL I do have some costume prop ideas in mind, dripping in brass and blue & green lighting...

As for my character : : :
"Intend sir?  Intend!? I have no intention of divulging details of my Maxwellian ethereal field coil in a public forum!"

I 'SHALL' help the fallen.  Why would you stand in my way?
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #1353 on: November 06, 2011, 07:33:43 am »

…Please?

Hold on...  Are you referring to me in RL, or my character.  In RL I do have some costume prop ideas in mind, dripping in brass and blue & green lighting...

As for my character : : :
"Intend sir?  Intend!? I have no intention of divulging details of my Maxwellian ethereal field coil in a public forum!"

I had rather assumed Dr. Newington had every intention of constructing his device, if he had not already done so. I was expressing the hope, no doubt shared by much of our Membership, that your mundane (ie. "ordinary-world") self was planning to share with us your particular vision of thanaturgical technomancy...
Flint Fischer
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1354 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:31 am »

There wasn't much creativity involved in this username. My old one seemed somewhat juvenile, so I simply took the city in which I was born, and the name of an old auto plant that was down near my house there (Fischer Body Plant #1, Flint, MI). Turned out nicely. I feel it has an industrial, yet elegant ring to it.
Tiberious.R
Deck Hand

« Reply #1355 on: November 22, 2011, 12:34:41 pm »

Tiberious Ridgely, part-time engineer/time traveller, occasional gentleman and all-round good chap. The sort who'll happily help one out in times of need but has no qualms with taking down a cad or blaggard with his trusty side-arm. He also has a weakness for sultry women and fine ales.

Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #1356 on: November 23, 2011, 04:24:25 am »

He also has a weakness for sultry women and fine ales.

Yes but then again, Who doesn't?

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1357 on: November 23, 2011, 06:06:00 am »

He also has a weakness for sultry women and fine ales.

I'll have a dozen of each please!

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Private Weasel
« Reply #1358 on: November 23, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »

I rather like fine women and sultry ales.

There's nothing like a sultry ale after a long day at the coal face.
Fennius
Gunner

« Reply #1359 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »

I don't have a steampunk character yet but I'm thinking of adapting a slightly steampunkish one from a WoD:Genius roleplay campaign: Doctor David Morrius, proud wieldy of a Thermal De-Energiser (Freeze Ray - a lot more useful than most people think) and the Morrius Mortality Mitigation Device (force field). Smiley
Lady_Eliza
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #1360 on: December 01, 2011, 10:28:30 pm »

Her name is Professor Eliza Wells Dealy, she is a clumsy oaf and a curious student of science. Loves to examine everything in detail, but not clever enough to make up interesting inventions of her own. Married to Captain H. O. Dealy (my husbands char) a military man that runs everything with precision.
I'm still working on the rest, but that's the jist of it. Smiley

~* Lizzie *~

~ Disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi oras moriturus – Learn as if you were living forever, live as if tomorrow were your last ~
mcguyver
Deck Hand

« Reply #1361 on: December 02, 2011, 03:59:08 am »

Mcguyver has been a nickname for myself for..oh.....pondering on it.....id say 4 years now.

I did military simulation with a group of friends and I was always the booby trap this, rig that kinda guy, so while fashioning a trip trap, a friend called me mini Mcguyver. That stuck as a call name. So..thats where i got my nickname. Cause i can turn useless junk into very useful things...sometimes.
Murdock
Swab

« Reply #1362 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:26 am »

Heh. Mine's easy. I was watching the A-Team with my family (the TV show), and my older sister kept commenting on how Murdock was crazy, too. For a few years after, whenever I did something... eccentric... she called me Murdock. Then the name stuck. I'm amazed at how versatile that name is, though. I mean, Murdock is generic enough that it fits with just about any genre.
Tiberius Herbtree
Deck Hand

« Reply #1363 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

Tiberius Herbtree is a pseudonym I use in my undercover work for the Mornington Crescent Constabulary  Wink

Throughout history many learned men have studied the animal kingdom and spoiled countless reams of perfectly good paper with their observations.

Here are Seven Wondrous Verities on the subject of Goldfish !

The goldfish is the only creature which does not displace it's own weight in water.
    In order to survive, the goldfish must consume at least four times it's own weight every hour.
    Under a new moon a goldfish always points due North.
    In Upper Sumatra goldfish are used as currency.
    In Egypt goldfish skins are used as condoms.
    Powdered goldfish is a popular aphrodisiac.
    The goldfish is the rarely used thirteenth sign of the zodiac.
Lexo
Deck Hand

« Reply #1364 on: December 09, 2011, 05:00:14 am »

I have gone by Lexosceles for many years... Or Lex. Or Lexo.... Haha. It was originally a simple typo in a paper I wrote of Loxosceles, a type of spider, but I loved the name and it stuck. But I promise I'm not a poisonous creature, although I am a bit of a recluse (forgive me for that one).

I do need to make it a bit more steampunk though... XD Lady Lex wouldn't get me far, as I am more of an outcast type. Cheesy
Viscount Dudley
Deck Hand

« Reply #1365 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »

My persona name "Viscount David Dudley of Ashby-De-La-Zouche" is my regency re-enactment character name

He was created for a regency re-enactment dinner a few years ago. The hostess told me to create a character, the only restriction was that "He has to be a Viscount or it will mess up my order of precedent for the procession into dinner" The character is basically a somewhat dissolute aristocrat with a a penchant for beer and gambling.

I've done a few more regency events as Viscount Dudley and he is quite a fun character to play, so now I'm getting more involved in the Steampunk world, I have decked him out with some goggles.
54metalman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1366 on: December 17, 2011, 04:12:40 pm »

I have always been called a Metalman or just Metalman. I build and repair pre 1915 motorcycles as my business along with any type of creative or "cant be done" metalwork. So it just fit and stuck. I do have an alter ego or previous life that is Dr. R.D. Anvil. I may use that on here. Just rambling again. Sorry
McGilligan
Swab

« Reply #1367 on: December 18, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »

McGilligan is a name I'm using a lot lately, just because I think it sounds interesting, though I have come to use it as a character in a novel I'm trying to write....

As for the character, he's.... well, he's McGilligan, a pilot in the Grand Army of.... well, to tell the truth, I've had difficulties with Nations and Towns that are Steampunk-esque. Basically, he's a pilot, he's obnoxious, but has those moments where he shows he a generally good guy. Just like those thousands of characters you've read about over the ages, so... yeah. He's often found in bars, or working on his own "rig" as he calls his ship. 
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1368 on: December 24, 2011, 03:53:34 am »

Me, I've always used Kieran Foy in honor of a character from a Charles DeLint book. Firt Urban Fantasy I ever read, and it sort of got me hooked.

I also tend to favor Thomas Didymus Gadreel as a steampunk name, Thomas and Didymus beeing two names for Doubting Thomas, which suits a skeptic like me, and Gadreel or Gadre-el being (according to the Book of Enoch, which is generally considered non-cannonical) to be the name of the Serpent in the Garden of Eden.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
waywardmina
Swab

Mina Kaiser

waywardmina
« Reply #1369 on: December 27, 2011, 06:23:18 am »

My Steampunk persona name is "Wilhelmina Ophelia Kaiser" but I go by "Mina." It is a play on Kaiser Wilhelm as well as connected to Mina Harker from Dracula. I've got a thing for Vampires. ;] Ophelia as a middle name was suggested by a friend who said the name suited me. Or something of that nature... :]
Edmund Charles Rutherford
Gunner

While there's tea, there's hope -Sir Arthur Pinero

« Reply #1370 on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:27 am »

It took me a bit to come up with my persona name.  I wanted it to have meaning to it, and to be something I wouldn't grow tired of after a few months.  I ended up putting a lot less research into it than I thought I would, but I like it just the same.

I read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" as a child, and although he wasn't my favorite character, I always did like Edmund's name.  I decided I wanted to sound rather British with my persona name, so I chose "Edmund" as my given name.

Charles is a rarely used name in my family, however it does appear from time to time.  I decided to use it because of the rather noble ring that "Edmund Charles" had to it.  I tried other family names first, but none sounded right.  When I struck upon "Edmund Charles" I thought, "Ah-ha! I like it!"  It gives an impression of noble upbringing and education (in my mind anyway) and that was also part of my goal with my persona.

I settled on the surname of "Rutherford" because it is a family name which brings my Scottish ancestry into the mix.  It is a very ancient Scottish surname, and is but one of several of my Scottish family names.  I ran across this name while doing some family genealogical research in which I found out I am directly related to former US president Rutherford B. Hayes.  I liked the name Rutherford, and ended up choosing it as my surname to bring more of my family history into my persona.

Slaínte,

Edmund

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #1371 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:49 am »

When I struck upon "Edmund Charles" I thought, "Ah-ha! I like it!"

And this, of course, is really the only criterion that counts.

I settled on the surname of "Rutherford" because it is a family name which brings my Scottish ancestry into the mix.  It is a very ancient Scottish surname, and is but one of several of my Scottish family names.  I ran across this name while doing some family genealogical research in which I found out I am directly related to former US president Rutherford B. Hayes.  I liked the name Rutherford, and ended up choosing it as my surname to bring more of my family history into my persona.

You should also read up on Ernest Rutherford. True, he was slightly post-Victorian, but that really isn't important.
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1372 on: December 31, 2011, 05:34:48 am »

and then Dame Margaret Taylor Rutherford comes to mind to impersonate 'Miss Marple', and that is close to Agatha Christie and the next one (in reverse time order) who comes to mind is Sherlock Holmes....I know, I know, just came to my mind.............NM Roll Eyes

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Edmund Charles Rutherford
Gunner

While there's tea, there's hope -Sir Arthur Pinero

« Reply #1373 on: December 31, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

Thanks for the lead on Ernest Rutherford...it was a good read.  I may have to do some more research on him.

The read on Dame Rutherford was interesting to say the least.  I'm not sure how you connected the other's to her, but I did get a laugh out of it!
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1374 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:13 am »

Lady Toadflinger came into being as I was driving along one day, trying to come up with a name for my Ren persona. I wanted something unique and silly, yet slightly pompous." Aha!", I thought, "Toadflinger!" Well, the Lady Toadflinger has traveled far from her ancestral home in Toadshire , all the way to California, visiting many Ren Faires, and even becoming a Pirate for some time.  After a bit of time traveling, she has decided to use her University degree and dabble in some questionable experiments  involving plant research. She also enjoys making corsets and decorating ridiculous hats!  Grin

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: