The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 07:17:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 200986 times)
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #1325 on: September 26, 2011, 12:53:08 am »

Naturalist with a heavy interest in the new field of paleontology combined with something of a tea fixation. Wink

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #1326 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:19 am »

Pleasure to meet you Lady Cottington. Always nice to see a fellow countryman.. er woman, here at Brass Goggles. Pity there aren't more in my neck of the woods but still welcome none the less. 

I must say that I really do enjoy seeing the thought process that goes into creating ones Persona.

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
Atticus Cobb
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #1327 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »

Stylin'. I presume Lady Amelia is some sort of naturalist/botanist/field biologist?

Amelia is one fine name....my daughters name is Amelia.  Great choice.
Maeg
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #1328 on: September 28, 2011, 08:17:25 pm »

Being of welsh origin and now living in Cornwall, I find it hard to escape the celtic language. Maeg is a corruption of "Maen" , meaning rock or stone. I first used it for a dragon character in a collaborative story, thereafter it became a pen name. My girlfriend use it from time to time. Given my interest in geology and paleontology it sort of fits. If I had to choose a name, It would be Maeg.

Robs
Larcen
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Married with 2 air Pirates in training

« Reply #1329 on: September 29, 2011, 10:02:29 am »

Full name Larcen Hydra fairly straight forward its a name ive used online since the early days of the net and will at some point change my name to (along with the wife and kids last name)

Larcen is the 1920s cat burglar char from a 1993 Sega fighting game called Eternal Champions dunno why i just liked the name.

Hydra is im sad to say a line from a Marilyn Manson song "I am the Hydra, Now you see your star"

Who are you people and what are you doing with my cogs!
Fairman Rogers
Gunner
United States United States

Professor Emeritus

« Reply #1330 on: September 29, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »

I wanted to go historical but obscure.  Also, it needed to be someone that would potentially have some written source material from which to draw.  The name I finally settled on belongs originally to this gentleman:

http://www.archives.upenn.edu/faids/upt/upt50/rogers_fairman.html

Lead Developer - Steamscapes RPG
Four-in-Hand Games
Ilia Arie
Gunner

« Reply #1331 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

Ilia Arie Harwood - pleased to meet you. 

Ilia Arie (first name) was a name I made up for a character in one of my stories - I love the way the name flows and sounds so proper.  I wanted an English surname and decided on Harwood - my grandmother's maiden name.   
Aemelia Gearheart
Swab

« Reply #1332 on: October 03, 2011, 06:43:47 am »

Stephanie Osborn here. I'm a science fiction/mystery writer. I've got my website on my profile if anyone's interested in what I've done.

Aemelia Gearheart is the name of my fictional steampunk heroine. I became enamored of the sub-genre when a friend hooked me on Girl Genius webcomic, and ended up with a short story in the popular steampunk anthology, Dreams of Steam, by Kerlak Publishing. I decided I wanted to try my hand at a full-up steampunk novel, and Aemelia came to life.

I'm not finished chronicling her first adventure yet, but my publisher has already expressed interest, so it should be a fun ride!

(Oh, and be prepared for Aemelia to do as much posting here as I do. She has a way of doing that.)

The Adventures of Aemelia Gearheart - coming soon to a bookstore near you!
Tobias E. Pennyworth
Deck Hand

Grand Imperial Mercantile Protectorate Service

« Reply #1333 on: October 05, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »

How I chose my name?

Interesting question. Tobias has always been an interesting name to me and has a very old age, Edmund is my sons middle name, Pennyworth just sort of popped into my head... maybe I'd subconsciously stolen it from Batman's butler.  Wink

There is no occasion on Earth where a Pith helmet is inappropriate...
steampunkrusski
Deck Hand

Steampunk with a Russian twist

« Reply #1334 on: October 06, 2011, 01:40:07 am »

Well, I seem to have gone with an incorrect forum name >,> my mistake. I was too excited about joining the site. I go by the name of Dominik Xavier Tagiov. Domink Xavier is my actual birth name which was changed when I moved to the states and Tagiov is similar to my family name. It's also used as a sort of nickname for my family so I thought it was fitting somehow.

menya zovut Dominik Xavier Tagiov. Smiley Pleasure to meet you.
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer

Oooo! Shiny!

« Reply #1335 on: October 06, 2011, 11:03:27 pm »

My forum name is consistent among all of the forums (fora? forae?) in which I particiapte.

It was a play on words that I used when I started geocaching, and it's stuck with me throughout all of the hobbies in which I particiapte.  I admit it's not terribly "steampunkish", but I'm a creature of habit.  There's no way I'd remember a new forum name after all these years.
The Derevlianian
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1336 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:13 am »

On forums, I generally take a Slavic name of some sort. You can call me "The Lemko", named after a Slavic tribe I am a part of.
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1337 on: October 10, 2011, 01:47:14 am »

I have been Uncle Arthur since college. The nickname stuck so well that I use it for my slightly mad scientist persona.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Annlyn Lloyd
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1338 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:25 am »

Hm... well... How did I come up with my name? Originally I was writing a steampunk book (of course) which was sorta-kinda gonna be a school project. I was searching through names popular at the time-space-period, and I decided none of them were steampunky enough. So, I grabbed two names of the list--Anne and Lynn, I think. It might have been something-lyn--and mooshed 'em together.

Lloyd just came out of the blue.  Huh

Annlyn Lloyd: Probably the only steampunk who answers to Lamppost~

I'm not random, you just don't think as fast as I--Hm, the sky is looking rather gray today... I bet it's the aircity New London passing over.
arcenstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #1339 on: October 13, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »

an endless tinkerer with a seemingly permanent grime constantly covering hands with a peculiar love for all things smoky
fundu-moldovei
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1340 on: October 22, 2011, 02:48:44 am »

Fundu-Moldovei

Happens to be the turning point where Lord Godalming and Jonathan Harker on their Steam Launch had to make a dicision to follow the Bistrita or the Sereth River.

Moldova, Region of Romania (not the Republic Moldova) was a crucial turning point for me too since my wife is from there. Therefore it is a known and happy to be territory to me.

So not meant to be as a Steampunk karaktername but a name I use on other fora as well, the connection with Steam is obvious, though..and, traveling through Romania in summer goes best with goggles...

"'Facts, facts, facts,' cries the scientist if he wants to emphasize the necessity of a firm foundation for science. What is a fact? A fact is a thought that is true. But the scientist will surely not recognize something which depends on men's varying states of mind to be the firm foundation of science. "
Gottlob Frege, 1848-1935
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #1341 on: October 23, 2011, 10:32:59 am »

Rudyard Kipling really had the soul of the professional military pegged.
 Having been to a few of the places that Mr Kipling wrote about,  a hundred+ years ago, I really felt a connection with the old boy.

Pharaoh and the Sergeant

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

more of my favorites

Cold Iron

Tommy

The young British Soldier
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:51:40 am by Sgt.Whatshisname » Logged

We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!
Dana
Deck Hand
Spain Spain

« Reply #1342 on: October 27, 2011, 10:56:10 am »

Is difficult to explain... well, not really XD  I'm Dana Harlock, pirate, corsair if my queen needs me, and captain of an airship called Arcadia

My real name is Diana, but all my friends call me Dana for more than 15 years Tongue (XFiles and Scully marked my teenage hahahaha), Harlock is from my favourite anime-manga series, Captain Herlock (I think in USA and UK is called Herlock)

I love the character since I have memory *_* and I love pirates and corsairs histories ^_^ is a natural evolution for me to have an alter ego like Dana Harlock Wink

PS: Sorry for my english... I'm spanish and sometimes is difficult to me to find the correct words to express what I want in the language of Shakespeare Wink I hope that you can understand my posts and forgive my errors >.<
Wolf410
Officer

« Reply #1343 on: October 31, 2011, 04:27:56 pm »

well sadly the forum wouldn't give me my wanted name...and i don't know how to change it now...but my persona... Elias Darklore
i've always loved the name Elias, and Darklore comes from the family Darklore which was a rather well known family in Glouster Mass. they were well known for their love for the dark arts and de[praved worships...which is why i loved to be the black sheep of that family who hated everything that the family loved. Thus Elias Darklore

Only In The Air Can We Be Truly Free
Gwenifer Scorpio
Snr. Officer

Behold the Prancing Beast of Doom

« Reply #1344 on: November 01, 2011, 06:05:42 am »

My name actually came from a steampunk/time traveler story I was writing. The captain of the airship was Miss Gwenifer Scorpio; a flirt, a daredevil, and occasionally a very happy drunk. Now, while I don't necessarily consider myself a daredevil, I would say I'm a flirt. Though not an alcoholic. (Alcoholic? Who are you calling alcoholic? Give me that bottle of "tea" back, I do say. Hold still. You're not holding still, you're bloody swaying around!)

I decided to use the name because I loved the sound of it, and while I myself am a Taurus, I love Scorpio as a sign.

(I'm sorry, I have a rather strange sense of humor. Thus the bits of mental dialogue.)

Miss Scarlett in the library with the candlestick!

Gwenifer H. Scorpio, O.S.E., CALES Alumni
Octavia Thistlewaite
Gunner

« Reply #1345 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:39 am »

Octavia Thistlewaite at your service Smiley

I chose my name because I love the name Octavia. It's just sounds good. And Thistlewaite? Happened to be a surname of a particularly amusing person I knew from school. They hated their name, I loved it.
Prometheus Gearing
Swab

« Reply #1346 on: November 01, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »

I was looking for/deciding upon a name that had a suitable Victorian sound for the first name and chose Prometheus, the Victorians loved all the Greek mythology stuff, because he kind of messed things up for the Gods in favour of us earthlings. And Gearing cos of steampunks fixation with cogs and gears. I'm also a tailor so Prometheus Gearing, get geared up to upset the gods!! Tongue
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1347 on: November 02, 2011, 09:22:31 pm »

Mine came from a character created by the quintessential Englishman Vivian Stanshall - Sir Henry Rawlinson.

If you have never heard (or heard of) Sir Henry, then I suggest you go here (http://www.vivarchive.org.uk/flash/ottomovie.htm) for a taster that I animated. Quite the funniest, richest and most inebriated language on record.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Private Weasel
« Reply #1348 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:12 am »

We went to a stag do at a music festival dressed as redcoats a quite few years ago. Each of us had names given to us which suggested a personality archetype we had to follow. The Stag was our Sergeant and we followed him round the festival, umbrella’s for guns. Bit of a lark.

I was Private Ralph Weasel.  It was my job to have a break down every time I saw the hordes of the enemy (or, if you will – the other festival goers).

“Men, we’re going to see Green Day!”

“But Sarge! The Enemy! There’s too many of them!”

“Stow it Private Weasel, we’re going in!”
DrSNewington
Deck Hand

« Reply #1349 on: November 04, 2011, 09:25:52 pm »

After joining this site, I thought it'd be fun to come up with a steampunk character - here he is...

The Doctor (Samuel Newington): dob 1827, aged 35

Friend of Michael Faraday - who he attempted to help through his mental breakdown.  Faraday would ramble whilst suffering one of these breakdowns and the doctor could not help but discuss the laws of electromagnetism with the ill man.  This would unfortunatly not help Faraday resolve his illness, he did however appreciate what the doctor was trying to do.  Faraday at one time during a fit of rage; that his intellectual pursuits caused him such ills - gave a great deal of research notes to the doctor - “Please take them, take these infernal things far away from me”.  The doctor studied these notes intensely.

During the Crimean War he was a surgeon for the British Army, however; seeing the gruesome injuries on a daily basis took its toll on his sanity.  He wished he could save the souls of these unfortunate men and using the research of his friend Micheal Faraday, started to invent machines that would harness the energy of beings from the spiritual realm, this device was supposed to be able to communicate with these souls and; if necessary allow them to be transported to better places.  However, a darker use for this device would be found - and to the doctor who lacked the sanity and empathy of normal people after these dark times of war, those dark abilities of his invention would become more alluring.

I 'SHALL' help the fallen.  Why would you stand in my way?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: