The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2019, 12:30:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 201726 times)
Emcentric
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Skypirate in constant squabble with a privateer...

« Reply #1300 on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:30 am »

I am an eccentric, and my name is Emily. Hence I am an Emcentric creature now xD I've yet to find a real steampunk name to use... But I suppose my first name is Victorian enough.

I also go by the name of Snoopy in some places, and this has nothing to do with the peanuts dog apart from the fact I'm described as dog-like. (Very happy, follows friends around, you get the picture.)
Cpt. Robert Trevelyan
Gunner

Submarine privateer captain

« Reply #1301 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:56 am »

I needed a name that sounded suitably Cornish.  Funnily enough Trevelyan is actually the middle name of a Welsh guy I met, but it seemed Cornish in feel (villages and names like Tregadillick, Trelawney and Tremough).  Robert just seemed to fit in front of it, can't explain why...

Captain Robert Trevelyan of the St.Piran's Revenge at your service.
StarKit
Deck Hand
United States United States

Life, you do not chose it, But it chooses you

« Reply #1302 on: September 05, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »

Mine is Alyssa. Alyssa Hawk to be exact. I dont know, It just appeals to me

Erika Star Chattergun
Lord Gooding
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #1303 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »

Lord Gooding is one of the persona's I use for our Calgary Alberta Canada Based Steampunk Group on Meetup. Oddly enough it has it's roots in the Brass Goggles steampunk name generator which came up with "Sir Joshua Gooding" which I liked enough to use for a few months before deciding I was too old to be a "Sir" and elevated myself up to "Lord" Thus I am currently Lord Joshua Gooding the Earl of Steam. I also use another persona for our Airship HMAS Mischief, and use Captain Roger "Jolly Roger" Gooding twin brother of Lord Joshua...

The Earl of Steam...
Lorcan Gerald Wells
Deck Hand

« Reply #1304 on: September 06, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »

The very root of all old magic lies in the naming of things and thus one's "nom de steam" as I like to call it is always going to be difficult. Personally I chose the Gaelic form of my first name to give a nod to my lineage my 2nd name may actually be my 2nd name and Wells, well for a time traveller there could be no other (except perhaps Brown). All in all giving me name that feels close enough to me to be comfortable and yet far enough to generate some real steam.

Lorcan G. Wells

"I am time's master and not it's servant."
                 -  L G Wells, Temporal Tourist.

First man to coin the phrase "Nom de Steam"
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #1305 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »

I like the expression "nom de steam".

Finding my name was not that difficult. I'm German, so I wanted a name that reflects that without being impossible to pronounce. "Adler" is a german word and of course it's also an hommage to the famous lady, who was the only one ever to impress Sherlock Holmes.

"Evelyn" comes from two sources: the punk cabaret show "Evelyn Evelyn" by Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley and more importantly the movie "The Mummy". I like the main character Evelyn and she is in part a role model for my steampunk persona.

Evelyn: Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am.
Rick: And what is that?
Evelyn: I... am a librarian.

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
Dangerdean
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #1306 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:37 pm »

Madcap Dan Devonshire is an anagram of my full name, which I've used occasionally for years. I think it sounds suitably upper crust, yet devilish.

Madcap Dan Devonshire: Rogue, itinerant airship captain, and champion beard grower.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
    H. L. Mencken
Lorcan Gerald Wells
Deck Hand

« Reply #1307 on: September 08, 2011, 05:13:04 pm »

I have always felt (personally) that any persona or character name should come from oneself and not be given or suggested by someone else, but that is just my humble opinion.
Baron Klugenhosen
Swab

« Reply #1308 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »

Being of German descent, and having technically inherited a (sadly meaningless) Baron's title through my father's maternal line, I thought it fitting. Klugenhosen is an extension of my actual surname and translates to 'clever trousers', or 'smarty-pants' if you will allow me to tinker with semantics.
Lorcan Gerald Wells
Deck Hand

« Reply #1309 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:56 am »

Feel free to tinker sir, but not with your pants.
:-)
noblesavage
Deck Hand
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2011, 06:06:28 pm »

I, living In Ireland, would have been considered a savidge by many victioreans. Also, the term noble savage Originated from the 18/19th century. It just seamed fitting

Putting the Punk in Steam punk!
Kibeth
Swab

Germany Germany

Adelais Marta Zahn

« Reply #1311 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »

I'm a big Garth Nix fan and Kibeth is my favorite character from the Old Kingdom series. It has been my handle for many years now. I know that it's not very steampunk-ish but sadly I can't change my name now.
Aloysius Devander
Deck Hand

« Reply #1312 on: September 10, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »

My handle comes from a Primus song - My Name is Mud.

I changed the name up a bit because Devadander was one syllable too long, and I don't want to conjure the idea of pet dander.

"My name is Mud.
But call me Aloyisus Devadander Abercrombie.
That's long for Mud.
So I've been told."

Primus is actually what made me start Googling Steampunk again, their song "Hennepin Crawler" in particular has a steampunk theme.
Mma Vicky
Swab

Sweden Sweden

This is me 10 years ago....but I am still gorgeous

« Reply #1313 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Mma Vicky!!!

Well, Mma is what the people in Botswana use for women in general, and Vicky....short for Victoria...being the British Queen of the Industrial era....
Nothing peculiar there.....

Evaxx Smiley
Professor Bevel
Officer

No, meddle first, understand later.

« Reply #1314 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »

Well, Professor Algernon Woulfe Theophrastus Bombast von Hohenheim Bevel. I've always liked Algernon as a name, Woulfe goes well with the Irish roots - and a family connection with the last irish alchemist and one of the earliest chemists, discoverer of picric acid and inventor of the Woulfe bottle - Theophrastus Bombast von Hohenheim is for another famous connection (and with a monicker like that you can see why he signed his name Paracelsus) and Bevel because I needed a surname, reached into the toolbox and selected one at random.  That could have ended a lot worse than it did - there was a plunger in there too.

You know what this situation calls for?  More gin.
EstelleSonata
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #1315 on: September 17, 2011, 08:58:51 pm »

My name must be Estelle Sonata Smiley

I felt the need for an english name, looked around, and choose Estelle since the sound of it appealed to me. Sonata came to me out of the blue in a moment of inspiration.
Tamarand
Deck Hand

« Reply #1316 on: September 18, 2011, 09:45:28 am »

Tamarand is the name I use in trick riding shows, and I was too lazy to think up a new one  Tongue
Nelly Dean
Deck Hand

« Reply #1317 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

My real name's Nel which is fairly old fashioned, and one of my favourite books is Wurthering Heights so I nabbed the character name from there. A lot of the time I play with personas that aren't upper class so Nellie's working class window into a more privileged lifestyle appeals too. It's not an overly Steampunk book but the right era Smiley I've never really gotten into any other Brontë novels so it's a shame that this was Emily's only one.
Prof. Divinatum
Gunner

« Reply #1318 on: September 19, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »

My name isn't all that interesting.  Professor because I am a lover of knowledge and love to both share and apply whatever knowledge I can accumulate.  Divinatum, Latin for foretelling or foresight, as I have always possessed a God-given gift for seeing/knowing beforehand, and perceiving things that weren't perceptible to most.  It is a part of me and thus, of who I am.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #1319 on: September 23, 2011, 09:48:27 pm »

I'm just in the middle of trying to choose a persona name myself (the one I'm posting this under is just my usual online handle and a pun on my name and nothing to do with Steampunk at all). My solution, having sort of kind of narrowed it down to several names, but not having any particular one leaping out at me, is that this weekend, since I've got most of my outfit done, I'm going to get into it, complete with hair etc, and take a bunch of persona pictures. Then I'm going to look at the pictures and go, "Okay, is this person an 'Ariadne' or a 'Hattie'?"

I'll let you know what the end result is. Smiley

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Atticus Cobb
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #1320 on: September 24, 2011, 03:23:56 am »

Well my actual Steampunk "character" is a writer and novalist so i was looking for a name that, to me, suited that type of persona.  I chose Atticus Cobb....the name comes from two sources.  Atticus is from an actor i like and Cobb is from the Jayne Cobb character from Firefly & Serenity.  My Steampunk clothing is a mix of Deadwood style and Firefly/Serenity.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1321 on: September 24, 2011, 05:38:47 am »

I'm just in the middle of trying to choose a persona name myself (the one I'm posting this under is just my usual online handle and a pun on my name and nothing to do with Steampunk at all). My solution, having sort of kind of narrowed it down to several names, but not having any particular one leaping out at me, is that this weekend, since I've got most of my outfit done, I'm going to get into it, complete with hair etc, and take a bunch of persona pictures. Then I'm going to look at the pictures and go, "Okay, is this person an 'Ariadne' or a 'Hattie'?"

I'll let you know what the end result is. Smiley

That's probably about as rational an approach as any I could think of.

Warmest regards,

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax, Exec. Dir.
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
nastyarasputina
Deck Hand

nastyarasputina
« Reply #1322 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:24 am »

(n.b.  "Nastya Rasputina" isn't my persona name per se; she's just the character I play in a piece of musical theatre.  (Which is fairly close, I suppose, but it's important to me that's there's a difference, or something.)

Anyway, her name is obviously Russian.  Her full proper name would be Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanovna, which is the historical name of the Russian princess Anastasia of mythical fame.  (Her history is basically a warped version of the Russian Revolution, except set in a cyberpunk space Russia with more actual involvement from Nastya and some moral dilemma.)  When she was Mechanised (also a long story) she became known by the shortened version of her first name, and adopted a new surname from the person who betrayed her -- she's a disgraced engineer on a space-pirate crew now, and maintaining a lengthy noble name would not have suited, either for her environment or for her new identity.

Hence, Nastya Rasputina.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #1323 on: September 25, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, may I humbly introduce Lady Amelia Cottington!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad I've gotten that sorted out. Couldn't finish my calling cards without a name! Wink
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1324 on: September 25, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »

Stylin'. I presume Lady Amelia is some sort of naturalist/botanist/field biologist?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: