The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 09:51:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 203728 times)
Miss Alva
Gunner
United States United States

Too Irish? There's no such thing!

TheIrishMutt
« Reply #1225 on: June 26, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »

I too used the name generator, but I was happy with the Playfoot name. Being a young person, I think it fits me quite well, though Pfeiffer McMullen was my first choice. My given name is too Irish/French for being the American that I am though. Even though its perfectly fantastic in striking up interesting conversation with someone who seems intelligent enough.
Stripy Tiger
Gunner
Germany Germany

Gravatar

Pirate Captain

« Reply #1226 on: June 26, 2011, 09:06:20 pm »

The history of my name is a bit embarrassing...
When I started to listen to the Clockwork Cabaret a few years ago I discovered Professor Elemental, because they played his song, "Animal Magic".
I listened to the song over and over again and there is this one line when he says "the stripy Tigoose". Well, not being a native English speaker I didn't catch the word and understood only "stripy tiger".
Somehow it stayed in my head. I liked the sound of it, so I started to use it as a name on the internet.
Actually I like to use just my first name, but because it is such an ordinary name (Marie), there is always a person who is already using it.
So, that's how a small girl like me started to use such a weird name Smiley

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen."
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1227 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »

OOOOPS, der kleine Tiger and die Tiger-Ente von Janosch were right on my mind,funny sometimes, how this works
 sorry, just some fond memories here... Grin Grin
Guin

and belated welcome to the forum!!

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Stripy Tiger
Gunner
Germany Germany

Gravatar

Pirate Captain

« Reply #1228 on: June 26, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »

OOOOPS, der kleine Tiger and die Tiger-Ente von Janosch were right on my mind,funny sometimes, how this works
Guin

Ah, I haven't thought of the Tigerente!! Stupid me, I grew up with those characters!! I would be happy if people connected my forum name with Janosch characters Smiley

And thank you!
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1229 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:49 pm »

Guin

Ah, I haven't thought of the Tigerente!! Stupid me, I grew up with those characters!! I would be happy if people connected my forum name with Janosch characters Smiley

And thank you!
Tach Auch und kein Problem, I will keep the connection in my mind, grew up with him, too....looooong time ago Cool
smug Guin
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #1230 on: June 26, 2011, 11:59:46 pm »

The history of my name is a bit embarrassing...
When I started to listen to the Clockwork Cabaret a few years ago I discovered Professor Elemental, because they played his song, "Animal Magic".
I listened to the song over and over again and there is this one line when he says "the stripy Tigoose". Well, not being a native English speaker I didn't catch the word and understood only "stripy tiger".
Somehow it stayed in my head. I liked the sound of it, so I started to use it as a name on the internet.
Actually I like to use just my first name, but because it is such an ordinary name (Marie), there is always a person who is already using it.
So, that's how a small girl like me started to use such a weird name Smiley
I like it.  Smiley  I could see a striped tiger as your Airships figure head.

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Stripy Tiger
Gunner
Germany Germany

Gravatar

Pirate Captain

« Reply #1231 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:53 pm »

I haven't thought of an airship yet, but my ship is called "Merry Merope" and it could use a tiger figure head! Thank you for the idea!
Jumnel
Deck Hand

« Reply #1232 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:38 am »

My name comes from a conlang (consructed language) I was working on several years back; that I later found out it was just a cypher for English.
Any who, it means good night. Though I liked the sound of it and it stuck.  So it became my pen name.
I would like to change the meaning, but I haven't yet.

I also thought it sounded good combined with the name of a charater I've been working on.
So here it is: Jumnel Ernest Elliot. I was thinking this could be a good full pen name.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:49:45 am by Jumnel » Logged
Jumnel
Deck Hand

« Reply #1233 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:09 am »

*thinking

(sorry for the miss spelling, Also, where's the edit bottun? I'm new to the this site.)

~Update:
Aw, fixed. Thanks Guinevere Meander.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:51:28 am by Jumnel » Logged
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #1234 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:48 am »

I haven't thought of an airship yet, but my ship is called "Merry Merope" and it could use a tiger figure head! Thank you for the idea!
If you had more than one airship, you could use the old air freight companies name "Flying Tigers"!  Smiley
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1235 on: June 30, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »

on the right top is a "modify" button....You can, how-ever NOT delete a post, once it is made...keeps us all polite, and makes You think 3 times, before You hit "enter" LOL too
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1236 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:43 pm »

I'm still working out the backstory and alternate history for my persona (along with that of my spouse), but the name was selected based on the character being Scottish. "MacAusland" is a sept of the clan to which I can trace my ancestry (via my father's mother's side of the family - it's not direct, but it qualifies...), and "auslander" (with an umlaut over the second a) is German for "foreigner" - so a descendant of Scottish colonists could easily be a MacAuslander... And I love bilingual puns.  Tongue Sorry.

"Lachlan" was selected from an online list of Scottish men's names, and is said to mean "from the Land of Lakes" - i.e. Norway, indicating Viking ancestry. I'm Swedish on my mother's side, so close enough.  Grin

As for details of my persona, I'm drawn toward the Tinkerer/Maker look (with some Explorer crossover) - the goggles need to be functional, as I've always been a proponent of function over form. Make it work, then make it pretty...
Sgt. Garrett Doolec
Officer

« Reply #1237 on: July 01, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »

I must confess that the idea behind my name was stolen from Nepheles' anagram topic.  I did it myself with my full name by starting with the military rank that I wanted and then looked up victorian mens names that fit.  The last name is just what was left over.  But I think it works well for the good Sargeant turned adventurer for hire.  (Just an FYI, I wasn't a sargeant in the military but i was the equivalent rank in the Navy, and I really didn't want to go by "Chief Petty Officer") 

Jayne: "Ten percent of nuthin' is...let me do the math here...nuthin' into nuthin'...carry the nuthin'..."
Jupiter Harsh
Snr. Officer
Italy Italy

aesthete and dandy bohemian

« Reply #1238 on: July 01, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

I can't remember how I came up with Jupiter Harsh, but I've been using it for years.
I've alsno been trying to think up an italian middle name, seen as I'm half english (on my mothers side) and half italian (on my fathers side) and bilingual.
 But I still can't think of anything... Angry

Veni, vidi, castratavi illegittimos
"But we don't really live in the past; we live in the present as it should have been if the entire 20th century hadn't gone so horribly wrong!"
Chestnut
Deck Hand

« Reply #1239 on: July 04, 2011, 08:24:33 am »

Chestnut is the shortened version of "Electric Chestnut" which is the name of a device in a story i have been working on for quite some time.
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #1240 on: July 04, 2011, 10:19:52 am »

Chestnut is the shortened version of "Electric Chestnut" which is the name of a device in a story i have been working on for quite some time.

I'm interested fellow writer, do tell more Smiley sounds quite intriguing.

C.C.
Chestnut
Deck Hand

« Reply #1241 on: July 05, 2011, 01:08:01 am »

An Electric Chestnut is a device that creates and stores digital copies of the universe and all of time up until current real time. One can access these copies, select any point in time, view or place their own consciousness into the mind of any compatible being, the user retains all the memories of the host, taking their place in full.

It's a very useful device for many of my stories and creating alternate universes/timelines while still being able to connect them with my other stories that at times may seem totally unrelated.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:10:29 am by Chestnut » Logged
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #1242 on: July 05, 2011, 08:54:03 am »

An Electric Chestnut is a device that creates and stores digital copies of the universe and all of time up until current real time. One can access these copies, select any point in time, view or place their own consciousness into the mind of any compatible being, the user retains all the memories of the host, taking their place in full.

It's a very useful device for many of my stories and creating alternate universes/timelines while still being able to connect them with my other stories that at times may seem totally unrelated.

Great Cheesy so you are building upon that, splendid idea; I myself used to delve into terra incognita of many different subjects, with little focus on continuity of my short stories which is a trade off I guess. I can recall only a few titles that I have continued in one way or another. I'm making up for this now, since building a universum is an interesting and worthwhile effort. It's nice to hear about different concepts from fellow writers Smiley Thank you for the elaboration on this subject.
Mitchell J. Meriwether
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gentleman Pirate

« Reply #1243 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:58 am »

I always wanted a 2-1-4 syllable name, as the flow is pleasing to the ear.
Besides, the name chose me, not the other way around.

Stand and deliver. Optionally, you may choose to remain comfortably seated whilst I disencumber you of your valuables.
Essex Bounty
Deck Hand

« Reply #1244 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:41 am »

Mine is the name of a fictional poet in a science-fiction book about a retro- Old World planet in a futuristic setting.
TapCane
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

From the Birthplace of The Great Western Railway..

« Reply #1245 on: July 08, 2011, 04:54:20 pm »

The first Steampunk event I attended everyone was fascinated by the fact I had a brass tap on top of my cane.
Hence my name, starting to wish I had used a clever alias now lol..  Undecided
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #1246 on: July 08, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »

I suppose if I thought about it hard enough, I would come up with more names than one wee lass could ever need...I'm not a very decisive person Wink

My name here, quite simply, is indeed my name IRL; I didn't think far enough ahead to develop a proper steamified name before registering Smiley

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #1247 on: July 08, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »

I suppose if I thought about it hard enough, I would come up with more names than one wee lass could ever need...I'm not a very decisive person Wink

My name here, quite simply, is indeed my name IRL; I didn't think far enough ahead to develop a proper steamified name before registering Smiley

Don't worry MsKim, I can cheer you up I think by pointing out that yours is not derived from the french "Cocadoodledoo!", trust me, tis a fine name you carry Wink
augur
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

Temporal anomaly hunter

« Reply #1248 on: July 08, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

The name "Augur" is actually taken from a character out of one of my favourite sc-fi television shows, Earth: Final Conflict. Played by Richard Chevolleau, the character "Marcus 'Augur' Deveraux" is more than just a computer geek or hacker. I would consider the character of Augur in E:FC to be a true technomage. I am really into technomages, the whole concept of weilding technology in such a way that people around you almost think you are performing magic. That was how I used to feel when I first started using my laser virtual keyboard. I consider myself a technomage, not just a nerd or a geek.

However, that is not very steampunky, is it? I still use the name Augur for my steampunk character, but I developed a reason why he is known by this name. It is a mononym, just as the pop-star names Madonna and Pink. So out of my natural creativity tumbled a backstory for my character. I cannot explain how it happened. I have Asperger's Syndrome, so that may have something to do with it. The ideas just rolled out in waves and I wrote them down, adding to it daily. I haven't finished yet, either. I'm still adding ideas regularly to my character's back story.

I guess my personal background as a child playing D&D games and constantly creating characters helps. Also, I am a strong proponent of the open-source community, and I am into collaborative writing, so I encourage others to contribute ideas to my back story.

I think having Asperger's really helps me to easily draw from a wide range of sources for inspiration for my writing. I guess Aspies just see the world a little differently to most people.

Post licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand. Please quote this post with proper attribution.
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #1249 on: July 09, 2011, 12:43:50 am »

Fairly boring, in fact.

If you say it out loud - barbed wire.

This has been my 'online' name for over ten years now.

*Relentless Optimystic *
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: