The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 06, 2019, 10:18:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 203349 times)
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #1175 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »

Well I wanted something musical since I am a singer.  And I wanted something loud because I've the kind of pipes that don't need amplification.  And I wanted something that sounded sufficiently steamy and Victorian neoclassical.

Calliope works on so many levels.

Hawthorn Dove just added the right amount of pretension. Shocked
Archibald_Broce
Deck Hand
United States United States

Brevity is the soul of wit- Shakespeare

« Reply #1176 on: April 15, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »

The name I am tinkering with is Archibald H. Broce. It's my pen name for my burgeoning saga of steampunk stories, and if I am inclined to become more involved with the subculture, I will most likely adopt it as my persona name. It sounds British, Pretentious, and writerly. I think it would be interesting to be the character who writes the tale as the persona itself. I still require a backstory that is interesting.

Avanti, Avanti!
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1177 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »

I just became a member and I found my name by reading through 200 pages of posts. I always had a clear idea of who I was, but found my name here. Guinevere sounded ancienta and british and Meander was totally taken from Harry Potter, thank You. I have travelled and moved a lot in my life and am still not done, so the "meander" was THE perfect fit for a misfit! Wink

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Ranna Belline
Deck Hand

« Reply #1178 on: April 20, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

Mine's a complete play off the novel Sabriel (About a Necromancer that puts the Dead back in Death using her bells).
Not really steampunk, but a fully enjoyable book nonetheless.
One of the bells is called Ranna, and name I've always found to be, simply put, pretty.
The last name is, as it seems, just a variation of Bell.
Ranna Bell-ine.
Fully pronounce (RAH-nah, Bell-EEN)
Shing
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

Alexa Davina Ironlass, Seamstress

« Reply #1179 on: April 20, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »

My actual full nickname is Shing-Lang, with an hifen in the middle.
I chose it after i watched the movie Mulan, when i was 16,lol. Until then i never had a steady internet nickname but i was always very fond of oriental cultures and i mixed the Captain's name (Shang) with a very common last name (Lang) that sounded oriental to me at the time.
Once i started cosplaying, my friends only adress me by Shing so, most of the times i dont even put the "-Lang" on forums anymore. XD

Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1180 on: April 20, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

I chose it after i watched the movie Mulan, when i was 16,lol. Until then i never had a steady internet nickname but i was always very fond of oriental cultures and i mixed the Captain's name (Shang) with a very common last name (Lang) that sounded oriental to me at the time.
Once i started cosplaying, my friends only adress me by Shing so, most of the times i dont even put the "-Lang" on forums anymore. XD

you cosplay? As Harley Quinn? Photos please?

Shing
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #1181 on: April 20, 2011, 06:09:21 pm »

Not yet, it's in the making! ^w^ But tell you what, you can have my deviantart and as soon as i have photos, that's the first place ill post them.
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1182 on: April 20, 2011, 06:55:05 pm »

Not yet, it's in the making! ^w^ But tell you what, you can have my deviantart and as soon as i have photos, that's the first place ill post them.

I'm ZandoranCelix over at dA
Shing
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #1183 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:35 pm »

sent a PM on dA! ^^ (sorry for the off-topic, everyboday!)
sparta98
Deck Hand

« Reply #1184 on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:16 am »

I'm Sparta because I always thought that the Spartans were amazing, but thought it was sad that they never left anything behind. So, I use the persona to make sure the name perpetuates.

So far, so good, or so they say from mission control. The deep of space is no place for a fragile human soul.The rockets burn as servos click and turn and fall into their place. Robots can't cry, don't laught, can't die in the darkness of space.
Luther Batchelor
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1185 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »

I used the name creator to find mine, and I do like it a lot!

Jolly good show old chaps!
Prof Mellifluous Plinth
Deck Hand
England England

Harnessing the unclear forces for science!

« Reply #1186 on: April 29, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »

My two favourite words are mellifluous and plinth, and I'm a bit of a boffin, so Professor Mellifluous Plinth seemed to be the perfect steampunk name for me.
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #1187 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »

I've been having a bit of a think about a propper Steam name for meself.

The other week, I was driving down to Devon, and I came across a sign for a rather caddish sounding place, and I thought; why not.

Has anyone else taken the name of "Monkton Wyld" yet?

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells
Secundinius
Gunner

And whose monkeys are those, exactly?

« Reply #1188 on: April 30, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

After formerly deciding on Dexter Cogsprocket, I began feeling as if the name suggested I was trying a bit much to be steampunk by means of adding "cog" and "sprocket" in my name.

I went searching just the other day for Victorian-ear names for a short story I was working on for English class. I decided on Ambrose and Thaddeus, but after a few minutes, I realized those names weren't right for the characters, because those names fit my vision of me in my steam garb.

So, without further ado, I present to you, Thaddeus Ambrose Pierce, Captain of the Aletta Rose.

Thaddeus Ambrose Pierce, Captain of the Aletta Rose, at your service. When is your destination?

“As machines become more and more efficient and perfect, so it will become clear that imperfection is the greatness of man.” – Ernst Fischer
Neo Hikato
Deck Hand

Deeplord of Drakengard

« Reply #1189 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:47 pm »

Usually for my persona name I use Neo a lot in some way or form, mainly using the name Neo Hikato as most people can see. But for Steampunk, I decided to change it up.

Aside from using Neo a lot I used the name Zefer in some cases where I felt Neo was not fitting. Sure latin fits with steampunk in some way (I think), but I did think up a name for my Steampunk persona, which is the same name I use for a char in one of my Steampunk storylines I have been thinking up for a while now. Came up with Zeferen for the first name, though for last, with me being someone who like dragons a lot, I just had to use Bahamut.  Undecided Which had a ring to it with what I got.

So therefore, my persona would be Zeferen N. Bahamut.
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #1190 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:58 pm »

Anyone stuck for a name could do worse than look on a map of England, the counties Herefordshire and Worcestershire in particular.  There are so many double-barrelled village names that all sound like Victorian actor-managers (so my wife and I joke).  Here's a few to be going on with:

Kingston Bagpuize
Smeeton Westerby (I live there, so be careful!)
Middleton Scriven
Sibdon Carwood
Leinthall Starkes
Ashford Carbonel
Cleobury Mortimer
Stretton Grandison
Tedstone Delamere
Munderfield Stocks
Duntisbourne Rouse

As for mine, it was easy.  I've been writing about the Prof for a number of years.  He's the worst idiot time-traveller you could possibly imagine who takes great pains to mess up the timelines.  He's also addicted to bacon and has the worst dentition in the world (tyrannojawrous is the only word to describe it).  He's based in appearance on the father of a guy I went to school with.  He was a proper academic and looked it: tweeds, cravat, terrible teeth, wild hair, the lot.  And he forbade TV in the house.  But my prof is nothing like that - he's a decent soul, if somewaht misguided...  Nothing like me, I hasten to add.
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1191 on: May 03, 2011, 02:44:49 am »

Well, the name I have chosen started out as another persona name for myself that I use quite often. The original name is Tom Stark Raven Madd. I started using it about 10 years ago and have many variations on it. Thomas is very self explanatory....just the full name for Tom. But I needed something fancy and scientific. So I thought, well I need a good family name: Corvidae. (the Lieutenant was thrown in for some aesthetic, just sounds cool)   Smiley

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
squiggle
Deck Hand

also known as Nero M. Willowshams II

« Reply #1192 on: May 10, 2011, 05:28:59 pm »

@Professor Hesketh - not to forget "Chipping Sodbury" of course!!

My persona name is simply one I have used on a variety of forums for so long now it is just my default choice.  And it matches my blog, also.

If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip.

squiggleblog
bassspine
Snr. Officer

inventor of Castrol-R aftershave

« Reply #1193 on: May 10, 2011, 09:08:39 pm »

Nempnet Thrubwell, Curry Rivell and my personal favourite, Cricket Malherbie

I love English villages!

Bwahahaha! They called me mad! MAD! But with my cross-dimensional time-fez I'll show them!!!!! hehehehe!!
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

HM Governor-General of the Martian Territories

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #1194 on: May 12, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

Nempnet Thrubwell, Curry Rivell and my personal favourite, Cricket Malherbie

I love English villages!

Ahh yes, the Westcountry has some of the best! Not far from Nempnet you have the wonderful Farrington Gurney, which could be utilised as a deliciously pretentious surname. I'm not sure this could be used as a persona name for anyone, although I don't see why not, but there is also a place called Goblin Combe not far from Bristol Airport.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:13:15 pm by Septimus Grey » Logged

"What is it Lieutenant Sebastian?"
"It's the rebels Sir, they're here."
"My God man! ....Do they want tea?"
"No I think they're after something more than that Sir. I don't know what it is but they've brought a flag."
PapaCopper
Deck Hand

« Reply #1195 on: May 13, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »

I, Dopesick Datura the Sage of Synchronicity have dabbled in all types of textbook magic as a young buck(buck is my real middle name) and after that I moved on to substance experimentation. I have experimented with many different substances and have been through many different states of mind due to my schizophrenic tendencies(as in deleuze and guattari's schizo-analysis) and I can't possibly begin to tell the details of these experiences for they are so synchronous with each other that words would just be slander. I believe all states of mind no matter how artificial or wacko they may seem from the outside, that some important wisdom can be found in each of these states. Datura is the most potent natural delirient and the mythology surrounding this plant encompass the abyss of insanity and dreams. Dope, or opium or any opiate is the most synthetic state of euphoria, therefore the most clean when used correctly and the mythology surrounding this state is one that encompasses euphoria and simplistic existence. Thy nepenthe is actually in my own mind which is what I have found with these substances and I may be typing nonsense into this paragraph but that's what my name encompasses, is pure individualistic semiotic interpretation.

The title 'The Sage of Synchronicity' encompasses my stance on shamanism and the importance of revelatory thought in a healing context. Sage - healing - synchronous with every state - dopesick datura - a plant that is able to induce pure dream states and abyssal death that is in pain because itself has not yet died and so is sick for the dope to kill his own pain. We are earth, we are plant, forested networks of the logos matrix of atomic to cosmic data allows us to instinctively live out our days completely and utterly paradoxically individualistic.

Nothing is true. Anything is possible. Everything is perfect.
bassspine
Snr. Officer

inventor of Castrol-R aftershave

« Reply #1196 on: May 13, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

I like a touch of synchronicity...

it's tragic magic, there are no coincidences, but sometimes the pattern is more obvious.  (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)
Mad Alice
Gunner

« Reply #1197 on: May 17, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »

I'm still a little iffy on my persona name. My name here is "Mad Alice" because that is my name whilst DJing. I considered the name "Alice Scriven" for a while; "Scriven" is a surname that concerns writing, and I am a writer. It didn't really seem to suit me, though.

About a month ago, I decided that I wanted to start a blog. It would be a dissection of my mind, in essence, splayed out for my readers to view. . . Things that I liked, things that I was currently thinking about, random thoughts floating about my head. . . I wanted to call it "Vivisection." It seemed fitting. The URL on Blogspot was taken, so I needed to choose another. Since I'm me and most of my thoughts concern Victoriana, I decided to post the URL as "victorianvivisection." It felt right.

Recently, I accidently typed the URL as "victoriavivisection." Victoria Vivisection. I was a little wary of using a word as a surname, but it's steampunk! Why not? I thought about my wardrobe. Dark and steamy, oftentimes meshing with goth. The name fit. I'm still not entirely sure of it, but I like it.

"A man is less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness – and none in art – if they are not dominated by illusion." - Mr. Doctor
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

A lady never discloses her sources.

« Reply #1198 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »

Miss Tabitha is short for 'Miss Tabitha Monmouth,' which is my current Call of Cthulhu character. It's also the name of one of my charming black cats. Unfortunately things doesn't get much more complicated than that. As I usually write from a male perspective, I was debating signing up as my novel's main character, but then decided it might result in a bit too much confusion.

How uninteresting! I apologise.

'Most of us are not lucky enough to be asked to tell our stories; rather, it is simply assumed that we will accede to playing a part in someone else’s, and afterwards quietly fade into obscurity. In a way, this has been true for me. I am no one of importance....
...Yet, I refuse to fade silently into the darkness.'
- From the Memoirs of Adonaii LaCastella
(Its authoress: Miss Tabitha)
Sylvah
Deck Hand

« Reply #1199 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »

I have two major characters that I like playing, the first is a sniper, who has considerable firing skills, at the cost of a significant chunk of his humanity. He is known by most as The Banshee, because when he fires his rifle, it is quite often that one will hear the steam escaping its valves before one will even realise one is dead.

My other character is a scottish Bard, known by his friends as "Friendly" Mctavish, real name Dougal McGlaughlan, a travelling musician with a penchant for brawls, and a nose for the mystical.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: