The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2019, 04:55:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 203591 times)
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1150 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

As a scientist/explorer/adventurer character, Professor for a title, Ainsworth was an early type of balance used during the gold rush era, still made, and we must seek balance in all endeavours, and Halfmain as a pun on Quatermain and the fact that as a more mature character I find that I am rather more 'half-maned' than full maned anymore (and far from eighth-maned, thankfully!)

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #1151 on: March 09, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

and Halfmain as a pun on Quatermain and the fact that as a more mature character I find that I am rather more 'half-maned' than full maned anymore (and far from eighth-maned, thankfully!)

Cheesy

Is that similar to a fivehead? *uses finger to indicate levels above brow* "One, two, three, forehead... five-head.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Nora Knightsbridge
Deck Hand

Lady Explorer

« Reply #1152 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »

The (rather embarrassing) truth is that it's derived from the D&D/MMO game name I use.  The persona I'd developed originally was Nora Nightsbane, archmagus, who was supposed to be very learned, scholarly, had a penchant for adventure and exploration, and was a bit on the prim and proper/Victorian-esque side.  Since the persona already fit Steampunk so well (save for the mage part of course), I kept the persona and just Steam'ed it up.  Switched Nightsbane to Knightbridge to sound a bit more Victorian, and she's more of a tinkerer than a mage of course, but well....there ya go. Smiley  And the added bonus is, if I run in to anyone I know from the D&D/MMO community, the name will hopefully ring a bell!
Mr English
Gunner

What ho!

« Reply #1153 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:18 pm »

Mr English is a nod to the wonderful Arthur English, who played Mr Harmin in "Are You Being Served?"
No first name, as Mr English is a bit of a yob and quite aware of class distinction. He's on the bottom, or near to it, and is determined not to let that keep him down. He ain't a proper gentleman, as such, but is not inclined to be walked on. "That's MR English to you, your Lordshipness!" Mr English is  generally is found employed (you guessed it) rolling out inventions that all the Doctors and Sirs and Professors bang together.
Typically: "I'm not carrying that. It's leaking radium! Don't touch radium mate, 's dangerous! No thank you!"
"There's a nasty looking switch here, but I shan't be the one to touch it."

His work-mate is Mr. Martyn.

Go figure.  Tongue
Doktor Howl
Deck Hand

Horrible Bastard

« Reply #1154 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:31 am »

Doktor Howl just makes a good villain's name, I think.

Empress Nigel never speaks,
Never whispers, never shrieks,
She never says a word at all,
But when she does, She'll kill us all.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #1155 on: March 16, 2011, 04:39:37 am »

Damnd of Hell.  I've had this for awhile; chose it not for the wanna be creepy thing that people imagine it to be.  I'm a Hellraiser fan, as well as a lover of horror.  If you look closer it's a bit more on word play as well.   Oh, and btw, it keeps my spam box almost empty. 

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1156 on: March 16, 2011, 06:25:18 am »

Docktor Howl.. Meet Dr. Madd.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Doktor Howl
Deck Hand

Horrible Bastard

« Reply #1157 on: March 17, 2011, 12:52:19 am »

Docktor Howl.. Meet Dr. Madd.

Hello, Dr. Madd.  I trust you are nefarious, yes?  Not one of these "heroes"?
Pottclocker
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #1158 on: March 21, 2011, 03:06:56 am »

My email is a mesh of the end of my first name and the beginning of my surname, which I've grown to like using as a persona these days. Since I didn't feel like being the ever-so-sweet-'Miss Potts' (or good ol'-begging-your-pardon-'Mrs Potts') I thought I'd add 'clock' on... since it's steampunk....and it was the first thing that popped into my head before 'coggs'... and in a mad moment of frivolity I imagined that there may be such a thing as a 'CLOCKER OF POTS!!!' - It felt powerful - my name was great!

...now I cower before the unbridled imaginings of other steampunkers in these forums and can't help but feel terribly outdone. Embarrassed

~P.Clocker
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1159 on: March 21, 2011, 03:52:53 am »

My email is a mesh of the end of my first name and the beginning of my surname, which I've grown to like using as a persona these days. Since I didn't feel like being the ever-so-sweet-'Miss Potts' (or good ol'-begging-your-pardon-'Mrs Potts') I thought I'd add 'clock' on... since it's steampunk....and it was the first thing that popped into my head before 'coggs'... and in a mad moment of frivolity I imagined that there may be such a thing as a 'CLOCKER OF POTS!!!' - It felt powerful - my name was great!

...now I cower before the unbridled imaginings of other steampunkers in these forums and can't help but feel terribly outdone. Embarrassed

~P.Clocker

You can always change things. I have been evolving since I arrived here last week or so.

Karbunkle
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #1160 on: March 21, 2011, 02:48:14 pm »

I got my name by simply thinking of a word that might describe a cantankerous old grumpster of a tinkerer. Karbunkle sounded right.
Sir Jacob Faustus
Swab

Mexico Mexico

« Reply #1161 on: March 22, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »

"Sir Jacob Faustus" it´s not a really interesting history, but since my Last name  is Jacobo, really easy to imagine to take it as a given name :Jacob. then Faustus, is the Alchemist that did deals with the devil, the one who tested his luck many times...i also trick my luck  Grin
Lycian_Corvinarus
Swab

Inventor of the Odd, Possibly insane?

« Reply #1162 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:50 am »

My name came from my World of Warcraft toon. Was originally going for Lucian but it was taken.

Lyc is a bit of a lunatic inventor that builds odd things. And is slightly homicidal.
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1163 on: March 26, 2011, 01:56:05 am »

My name came from my World of Warcraft toon. Was originally going for Lucian but it was taken.

Lyc is a bit of a lunatic inventor that builds odd things. And is slightly homicidal.

Lucian, So CLOSE to being Lucian Corvinus! LMAO
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1164 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:41 am »

Dr. Howl: More Maniacal than anything else.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:17:05 am by Dr. Madd » Logged
MercurialRain
Swab

« Reply #1165 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:18 am »

I got the name "MercurialRain" from two main things.  I always liked the idea of the crazy old workman (be it scientist/hatter/doctor) who was slightly crazy because of exposure to certain chemicals. Not verifiably INSANE, just a bit of the rocker. I realized that the substance Mercury was old-fashioned, and often used in above mentioned professions so I chose Mercury. The Rain bit comes from a personal preference. I've always loved rain, even as a kid so I thought why not incorporate it? BAM! You've got yourself MercurialRain.
Prof. Postrophe
Officer

« Reply #1166 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:27 am »

I have been using the appellation Apostrophe, or some variation of this wherever the the actual word may be unavailable, for some time now; a nod to that small detail, often misused or omitted, which, (oh so much like engineering) then makes an almost catastrophic difference...
"Still want more food? Eat your friend's!"
"Still want more food? Eat your friends!"
Also, in literature, an Apostrophe is a figure of speech in which a Subject, absent, dead or even nonhuman, is addressed as if it were alive, present and able to reply - in short, talking to something that may or may not be actually there...  This exceptionally relevant to any discussion held over the Aether-net.
Above all, I remain a Man of Science, hence, Professor...

*Mechanical and electro-magnetic noises in the background, rising...*
"...However, one must keep in mind that eternal caveat of the engineering sciences..."
*sound of metal bending, then bursting glass and arcing discharge, followed by general crashing tumult...
...which finally ends with the sound of a magneto-dynamo sputtering to silence..*

"...'To The Limits Of The Device.'.."
Rachel Harrison
Deck Hand

« Reply #1167 on: April 06, 2011, 11:07:20 pm »

My Husband and I used to write together for fun. One of his characters was married then widowed. His dead wife's name was Rachel Harrison. I felt bad about killing her off to advance the plot line that I sort of resurrected her for my own use.

Being den mother to The Usual Suspects is a lot like being den mother to a 1920's gang. Now where is my rolling pin?
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1168 on: April 07, 2011, 03:05:51 am »

My Husband and I used to write together for fun. One of his characters was married then widowed. His dead wife's name was Rachel Harrison. I felt bad about killing her off to advance the plot line that I sort of resurrected her for my own use.

I love that idea. So sweet!
Baron Fritz von Stuttgen
Gunner

dstuttgen
« Reply #1169 on: April 07, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »

I stole it from my dog   Grin . He's a German Shepard we named Baron Fritz von Stuttgen.
Does that make me a dog?  Embarrassed
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #1170 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

Mahogany.

Well, I was on YouTube one day and ran across an abridged series called DBZ Abridged, made by TeamFourStar.  I love their series so much that it finally spurred me into getting an account on YouTube so I could subscribe to them.  But all of my usual user names had been taken and I personally don't like putting numbers at the end unless they have some significance.  So I remember a little humor bit where one of the characters keeps going on and on about his mahogany desk.  I was a little bit surprised to find that no one else had taken that name already.  When I got here, I shortened it to Mahogany.  I like the sound of it and it conjures up an imagine of richly colored and warm wood in my mind.
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #1171 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:47 pm »

Mines pretty much my regular username, because I have crooked finger joints (doesn't cause disability though, and its only noticable when I point it out, people don't look that closely at hands)
I don't really consider myself steampunk yet as I'm not very immersed into the culture, having only found it a few months ago, but I am toying with the name
Miss Isaac, as an alter-ego. Named after my favourite Sci-Fi author.

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Revd_Jericho
Rogue Ætherlord

AKA Arthur Foot III

karlthulhu
« Reply #1172 on: April 07, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »

It began, I suppose, when I bought a vintage cassock. There was a name label in the cassock, Revd J W Grant. I liked the idea of a Reverend/Missionary turned Explorer/Scientist, and decided that a solidly religious 'christian' name would be appropriate. Hence 'Jericho'. After some thought, I decided on Wilberforce as the middle name, because... well just because I liked the way it sounded, I suppose!

Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1173 on: April 08, 2011, 04:45:14 am »

It began, I suppose, when I bought a vintage cassock. There was a name label in the cassock, Revd J W Grant. I liked the idea of a Reverend/Missionary turned Explorer/Scientist, and decided that a solidly religious 'christian' name would be appropriate. Hence 'Jericho'. After some thought, I decided on Wilberforce as the middle name, because... well just because I liked the way it sounded, I suppose!

Very Awesome.
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #1174 on: April 09, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »

I love the way these names incubate.

Mannfred Eckermann.

Well Eckermann is in the Sherlock Holmes cases as the author of "Voodooism and the Negroid Religions" (any offence from that is entirely unintentional and a product of the Victorian era).

Eckermann, by his own volition, has become an entity in my Victorian world.  He procures items for the Earl of Maynooth, items which are of Sherlockian significance.  As near as I can tell many of these items may be of dubious nature but the naive Earl purchases them at greatly inflated prices nonetheless.  Mind you the Earl is often in a reduced state from the ravages of alcohol.

Because of his "roguishness" I have always loved Eckermann.  It seemed to me that he must have had an interesting life. Or perhaps he is just the black sheep from a well to do family.  At any rate Eckermann comes from those origins.  It appears that he has a steadfast, reliable brother who enlisted in the Royal Dirigible Corp to fight for Queen and Country and to rid the Aether from the scourge of Miasminauts.  Thus Mannfred (obviously he is an Hombre, a translation of man but a little bit more than mere man, from Spanish to English).  I'm not sure where the fred comes from but I'm sure Mr Holmes could deduce the origin.  Ergo we arrive at Mannfred Eckermann.  
Capt, well Hiram Donaldson Rutter jumped from private to Capt in a very short time whilst serving in the Grand Army of the Republic and so I felt that Capt was proper. Marines, well some of my favourite relitives are Marines and they deserve a nod.

Convoluted?  Oh yes.

Indubitably yours ,
Eckermann
Capt Marines
RDC
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:21:51 pm by Capt Mannfred Eckermann » Logged

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: