The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2019, 12:44:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 203699 times)
Penelope T. Farthing
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1125 on: January 28, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »

The "T" stands for nothing at the moment, although I'm open to suggestions.

Might I suggest "Tuppence?"

PERFECT! Thanks so much.

~Penelope Tuppence Farthing
scout19d
Deck Hand

« Reply #1126 on: January 30, 2011, 08:30:52 am »

My persona name, J. Allen MacGregor comes from a combination of two things. The first is what I noticed to be a trend of the time period of using the first initial but full middle name. The MacGregor comes from the High Moon comic. I decided to do a Pinkerton Detective and using the name MacGregor was just too cool an opportunity to pass up.
B.Greco
Officer

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #1127 on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:30 am »

Grin first initial, last name  Tongue

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #1128 on: February 05, 2011, 02:09:18 pm »

Jarmara and Jarmara Black are my online names,It is also the name I gave to my first Beloved Great Dane and by using it online as my name I feel that in some way she is still with me, I got the name from a famous wood caving print of Matthew Hopkins and some witches naming imps etc  (see link for more info)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Hopkins

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Eledora
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1129 on: February 05, 2011, 07:26:16 pm »

I had come up with a character with the last name Farthing about two years ago for a novel I wanted to write and I just loved it (and him, dude was awesome). I thought Penny was a cute name for a girl and loved the idea of that they are both small coins as well as the old fashioned bicycle. Penny Farthing, what a cute name for a girl. The "T" stands for nothing at the moment, although I'm open to suggestions.

-Penny

How about Edgar? Why Edgar?

Animal Crackers is my favourite Marx Bros. movie ever and there's a great moment between Groucho's Geoffrey T. Spaulding and Roscoe W. Chandler.

Chandler: I am Roscoe W. Chandler.
Spaulding: And I am Jeffrey T. Spaulding. I betcha don't know what the 'T' stands for?
Chandler: Uh, Thomas?
Spaulding: Edgar. You were close though.
Tardisoid
Gunner

« Reply #1130 on: February 09, 2011, 05:12:10 pm »

Named after the TARDIS. But I didn't want to just be Tardis, so...
Scarborough
Deck Hand

« Reply #1131 on: February 11, 2011, 03:22:38 am »

Too much Simon and Garfunkel I'd say would be to blame. I can't really explain more than that other than I think the word has always sounded cool.

"There are those that give joy, and joy is their reward." - Gibran
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1132 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:22 am »

Maets is the last name of Bernard V. Maets

A little known, but prolific inventor of steam powered weapons and tools. With each new tool, weapon, and artifact that is uncovered and researched more is learned about Bernard V. Maets. Here is some of what is known at this time. For additional information, read about the Mr. Maets and his work with each object.

The Basics:
■Born July 11, 1823.
■From 1848 to 1857 he worked as steamship mate.
■Between 1858 and 1878 Bernard worked as a machinest, artist and songwriter.
■Forty two at the start of the Civil War.
■Last seen in Europe in 1916 during the “War to End All Wars”, Mr. Maets would have been about ninety-three years old.

Home/Shop of Bernard Maets
Shop:
From 1878 to 1907 Mr. Maets had a home and shop in southern Wisconsin. The exact location is a tightly held secret as excavation is still on going. Bernards close friendship with Frank Lloyd Wright led early researchers to believe that his unique shop was designed by FLW, but current thinking points to Maets being the primary architect and builder.

Travel:
Somehow in his busy schedule, Bernard found time to travel the world. Not only did he cover much of the United States and Europe, he also found time to reach India, China and other parts of the far east.

Influences:
According to the notes of Bernard V. Maets’, he influenced and was influenced by many of the greats of his time. A trip on a German train in 1903 led to the chance meeting with a patent clerk who later became known as one of the greatest minds.

Bernard claims that in 1887 a Dr. J Pemberton comes to his shop and presents Maets with several cases of his “Esteemed Brain Tonic and Intelectual Beverage” in thanks for his help several years earlier. Maets found the name too long and pretentious and suggested something simpler. He tossed a piece of coke from the shop furnace and noted the color match and the rest as they say is history.

In the Maets library unpublished notes of James Watt were discovered. A note in the margins indicates Bernard purchased the notebook from a book seller in London.

Maets is know to had several dinners with Rodin and Renoir in Paris in 1878. Although he was known to have dabbled in oil painting, he was far more interested in sculpture.

From my website www.TheSteamEmporium.com

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1133 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:04 am »

My name, Will Howard, is a pen name that I have used for years.  It is also a bad pun.  My "real" first name is Howard, so; "Will Howard?" "Probably he will!"

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1134 on: February 16, 2011, 07:43:39 am »

I love Frankenstein movies. I've always been called a mad scientist, a would-be frankenstein, and an absent minded professor. Dr. Madd is my alter-ego

What do we want? Decapitations!
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #1135 on: February 21, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »

Finally pinned down and solidified one of my personas:

Name: Cordelia Imogene Igor
Birthdate: September 16th ((1886 or 1986 depending on which alternate universe we're in))
Residence: The Trundle Manor

Cordelia- simply called Igor, like all of her family- is the only child of Herbert Agliff Igor and Honora Marie. The family had basically gotten out of the laboratory assistant business, partly as it was causing too many injuries and genetic defects... but more so because there just wasn't the call for their skills anymore. Aside from a few cousins working in Universities, the older generation had retired to their little plots of land... Herbert Igor still did some freelance work, here and there, but for the most part began devoting himself to his dream of cross breeding an orchid and venus fly trap...

Cordelia was always a very serious child, her parents made sure she was well educated in the family traditions... and by the time she was 16, she'd decided she wanted to go back into the business of being a laboratory assistant... With a few added talents. In college she studied a variety of subjects, everything from business management to event planning and PR... She emerged with a degree in Business Management and mortuary arts. She had excellent references, several job offers from more "normal" companies, and didn't take any of them. Instead she traveled to the manor of the current Barron Von Frankenstein, to solicit employment. The new lord Frankenstein, was overly exuberant about hiring her, and insisted she start the next day. Cordelia walked in to find him dead in the parlor that morning-- suicide.

Now far from home, a little poorer for her travels, and mildly upset, Cordelia set about figuring out what to do next... She decided to attend the auction of the Barron's property- thinking that if someone arrived to purchase the majority of his lab equipment, they might need an assistant. Unfortunately, out of the few people that showed up, no one seemed interested in the contraptions of a mad scientist. She was about to give up hope, when in walked a couple that looked as though they were both straight from the talkie pictures! The woman, was a sultry blond, wrappedin furs with heavily shadowed eyes that looked as though she was perfectly at ease smiling cooley while slitting your throat. The man was dressed to the nines in cravat, waistcoat jacket and all the likes... with sharp eyes and ha curled handlebar mustache he twirled in thought. A pair of perfect villians. And they bought each and every piece of Dr. Frankenstein's equipment.... It wouldn't be the first time an Igor had worked for a less than savory sort, and so with a professional smile plastered on her face, Cordelia approached the pair.  

At first they were amused-- no one had ever heard of a lady Igor as a lab assistant-- then curious, then welcoming. And Igor was swept off and away with her new employers. Now she lives in the Trundle Manor with Mr. Arm, and his lovely partner, Velda Von Minx, as well as their household staff- Lord Vince, the butler, and a relatively tactile Russian chauffeur with no name who makes her nervous. Cordelia's world is turned on it's head every single day as she attempts to schedule, assist and just generally keep up with this eccentric household.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:39:35 pm by Polaris » Logged

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Dr. Sniderbunk
Gunner

« Reply #1136 on: February 21, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »

I've been into role playing games for many years.  a now defunct game had a character NPC that i was able to identify with quite well. His name of course was Dr. Sniderbunk.  many wonderful quotes such as .nurse, hand me my staple gun this bandage is loose." solidified my affection.

I have since expanded on the persona, gave him a face, and some new quotes such as: "why yes my dear, I do have x-ray vision, but you'll have to take off the shirt." and "when performing rescue breathing you can't use your tongue even if she is your cousin."

The good doctor is a retired military physician, and with the love of the old uniform contnues to dress in his own pseudo uniform fasion. Wearing a nerhu jacket black leather duster, top hat and his airship mask.  The costume is still a work in progress, but coming along very nicely.  Currently have a sash and bootspats being made. 
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #1137 on: February 24, 2011, 03:58:17 am »

The "T" stands for nothing at the moment, although I'm open to suggestions.

Might I suggest "Tuppence?"

PERFECT! Thanks so much.

~Penelope Tuppence Farthing

Love it!

My name is, well, my actual name (first and one middle), just more of it than I typically use.  And I like 'Katarina' too much to never use it. - AK
Mr. G. Redthwaite
Deck Hand

« Reply #1138 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:54 am »

I went the anagram of my name route as well.  I'm just getting into Steampunk so I don't really have much experience yet, but I am thinking of staying more in the Weird West side of things.  For one thing I once played in an amazing game the creator called "Poe Western" and it is pretty close. For another, I just don't think I can muster the gumption to keep up a bad accent for extended periods, and mine are REALLY bad.
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #1139 on: March 01, 2011, 03:13:52 pm »

i got my name from a steampunk/victorian name generator.
it didnt come up with anything i liked, so ended up chopping around the names and came up with, Cage B. Gregson III.
i added the Gunner part for a more millitary feel.
my full persona name is Gunner Cage Bartholomew Gregson III, bit of a mouthful which gets shortened to, Gunner Gregson.

GG

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #1140 on: March 01, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »

Mine is made up of the following,

G O Pivot is a shortened anagram of my real name ( the full version was too much of a mouthfull), Oilcan comes from the fact everyone says due to the fact I'm always around steam engines I was born with an oilcan in my hand, and Professor because it pulls it all together.

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1141 on: March 02, 2011, 08:16:38 am »

Name: Dr. Melvin Quinine Madd
Year of Birth 1845
Allegiance: The Confederate States of America.
SteamNeophyte
Deck Hand
Singapore Singapore

Borderline Insane.

« Reply #1142 on: March 02, 2011, 01:41:28 pm »

Steam's the prefix to Steampunk, of course. And Neophyte, well..
Neophyte - ne·o·phyte
1. A recent convert to a belief
2. A beginner or novice

Basically aimed at a self proclamation of Steampunk noob-ity.
Am obviously hopeful for a state of less noob-ity over time here...
Following which my username would make absolutely no sense.

Damn.
Oberst Steffen Crist
Deck Hand

« Reply #1143 on: March 04, 2011, 05:05:54 am »

Steffen Crist is the Austrian version of my name. Oberst, or Colonel, is a hold-over from my time in the military.

Oberst Steffen Crist
Komandant, Der Fliegende Igel
Jonathan Barclay
Officer

« Reply #1144 on: March 04, 2011, 05:16:01 am »

Jonathan Barclay, The first name is a derivative of my real first name (Jon), The last name I found while looking through a little bit of history on gun fighters (William Barclay). The reason I chose Barclay was because it wasn't one of the very well known gun fighter names.
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #1145 on: March 06, 2011, 02:12:44 am »

I literally came up with my persona yesterday and created a Facebook page today.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-Balthazar-Griffiths/193065037390961?sk=info

Professor Balthazar Griffiths.

Chose Balthazar cause i love that name and I was watching a dvr's episode of Supernatural with him in it at the moment i came up with the name. Griffiths because my last name is Griffith and a friend involved in steampunk suggested I add the S. I originally planned to go with Griffin. He mentioned Griffiths sounded more English and refined.

Uriah Klinkhammer
Deck Hand

« Reply #1146 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:17 pm »

I set out to create a steampunk persona yesterday when I discovered this little corner of the internet.  I had created various characters with various backgrounds for various reasons in the past, but I wanted to keep this character as close to home for me as possible (a character is so much easier to portray when they share your likeness and qualities).  I love the idea of him having an accent, as I can pull off several different accents.  The problem with it, though, is that some of the accents like to blend together (I especially have difficulty with Irish and Australian meshing), so I had to make sure it was an accent that I can pull off without much worry of slipping.  Arguably, my best accent is German, and since I do have some German heritage, it is the natural choice.

A German-sounding name was next on the list.  I've always been a fan of biblical names, and they're a safe choice for a nation with a strong Christian background.  Uriah is an uncommon biblical name that is fitting to the period.  With a last name, I did a fair bit of searching, because I didn't just want something that -sounded- steampunk, I wanted to find an actual surname that worked.  I was tempted to choose the Anglicized name Gearheart, but I stuck to my studies.  I started to lose hope, and blurted out something that sounded real.  "Klinkhammer," I said.  I looked it up, and come to find that it was an actual name.  And so came Uriah J. Klinkhammer (the J. is simply because I felt he needed a middle initial).
Your Majesty
Swab

« Reply #1147 on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:51 pm »

A young man in one of my classes couldn't resist the urge to address me as "Your Majesty" .....very fitting I think Wink besides, who wouldn't want to be called your majesty?

Your Majesty
Lady Ashgrove
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1148 on: March 09, 2011, 02:56:45 pm »

simple it is my SCA name and title

i'm a French lass who married an English Lord  -- works for both

First name of Mariassa
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1149 on: March 09, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

A young man in one of my classes couldn't resist the urge to address me as "Your Majesty" .....very fitting I think Wink besides, who wouldn't want to be called your majesty?
I am afraid Miss, that there is only one 'Majesty' and she lives at Windsor! Tongue
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: