The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 07, 2020, 11:21:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 220332 times)
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

HM Governor-General of the Martian Territories

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #1075 on: December 03, 2010, 11:41:21 am »

Brigadier Davis at Your service, Renegade Mercenary at Your service.
[...] I chose Brigadier as its not a very commonly utilized military title, and I also rather like the sound of it, its not too high up and nor is it one of the lower ranks.

"Not too high up"...? You are aware that Brigadier ≅ Commodore ≅ One-Star General?

Ok Your right now I have seen what i've said I can see how preposterous it sounds, but I suppose this could be slightly off set by the fact that the British Military no longer employs the rank of Brigadier, which has now been replaced by the rank Brigadier General, which I certainly am not.

Brigadier, my dear chap, to possess a most admirable surname, one which I too have the honour to hold.

"What is it Lieutenant Sebastian?"
"It's the rebels Sir, they're here."
"My God man! ....Do they want tea?"
"No I think they're after something more than that Sir. I don't know what it is but they've brought a flag."
tinkersmith
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #1076 on: December 04, 2010, 06:50:28 pm »

Arbutus Tinkersmith - The first name came from a street sign I pass by every day. At the time, I had no idea it was a type of tree. (Not a native species of this area.) I saw it a a variation - somewhat - of the name Artemis, a classic steampunky name. (Wild Wild West) I do pronounce it differently, though. The tree is ar-BEW-tus, I am AR-but-us. Smiths were known for what they specialized in. Blacksmiths, silversmiths, goldsmiths..... TINKERSMITH! As a second generation tinkerer, I have gone from merely the title of a tinkersmith to using it as my surname. This new indusrial revolution is sure giving me plenty of well made scrap to build with. I only hope poeple don't lose their apprciation for hand crafted quality contraptions to suit their special purpose needs.
Damien Frey
« Reply #1077 on: December 04, 2010, 11:53:27 pm »

Smiths were known for what they specialized in. Blacksmiths, silversmiths, goldsmiths..... TINKERSMITH!
I like that!

Damien from my middle (and much better than my first) name because I've always wanted to swap them over and Frey as a nod to a Darian Fray, captain of the Ketty Jay from the as-near-as-damn-it-steampunk books by Chris Wooding, best books I've read in ages.
Brigadier Davis
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1078 on: December 05, 2010, 01:45:02 am »

Brigadier Davis at Your service, Renegade Mercenary at Your service.
[...] I chose Brigadier as its not a very commonly utilized military title, and I also rather like the sound of it, its not too high up and nor is it one of the lower ranks.

"Not too high up"...? You are aware that Brigadier ≅ Commodore ≅ One-Star General?

Ok Your right now I have seen what i've said I can see how preposterous it sounds, but I suppose this could be slightly off set by the fact that the British Military no longer employs the rank of Brigadier, which has now been replaced by the rank Brigadier General, which I certainly am not.

Brigadier, my dear chap, to possess a most admirable surname, one which I too have the honour to hold.

A Name I am most proud of and almost certainly honoured to share with You good Sir!

If only I could think of something witty to go here.
Id be the toast or Regents Street.
Branwyn
Officer

« Reply #1079 on: December 05, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

Branwyn is my real name, although it features nowhere on my birth certificate. I discovered it as a young teenager, originally as a name for my medieval persona in the SCA. I soon discovered, however, that it suits me better than my given name, and I've even considered changing it to my legal middle name. I use it so often that occasionally people, upon discovering that it is not my given name, ask why I use it. Claiming it to be my middle name would be ever so much simpler, and might even allow me to use it in my professional life.

Nothin' worse than having your pigtails shot off!!!
Herr Maud
Swab

Colonel Michael Chuffey

« Reply #1080 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:28 am »

Names come from others perception of your persona. ie. nickname (only literal if you are known as nick or old nick)
Mine is my heritage and my 'nick' name (something to do with horticulture and technology mix!)

Herr Maud
aka Colonel Michael Chuffey
Antigone
Officer
Austria Austria

« Reply #1081 on: December 09, 2010, 11:18:10 pm »

I'm a fan of Greek Drama. And the Story of Antigone and Haimon is my favorite.
It's also the name of a Fantasy Role Play Character (D&D) and I think the name sounds very sophistical *g*

My "personas" Name's Abbygale Breckenridge. (There's an RPG Character named "Alistair Breckenridge", wich is the favorite Character for sci-fi RPG, played by my boyf... *g* as we started to write a Steampunk - RPG i made up a Sister for Alistair ^^ So it's Abbygale *g* Abbygale and Alistair... sounded nice to me *g*)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:17:01 pm by Antigone » Logged

Scientist 1: "My invention fries human organs!"
Scientist 2: "Mine kills mosquitoes."
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #1082 on: December 10, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »

My username on here is not actually one of my many nicknames, which include "Darthwomble" which is my most commonly used, "Herpes", "The Grim Sleeper" and "Squiggle". Depending on where I am, different sets of my friends know me by one or the other. Mostly, I just respond to "Steve" though!

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
Dr. Etherial
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #1083 on: December 15, 2010, 03:49:14 am »

Dr. Etherial... well, I've been called Doc since I was four.  Apparently I had a stuffed Bugs Bunny that I carried everywhere, and it said 'What's up Doc?' whenever you pulled the string.  I am an intuitive energy healer, and perform Reiki and Therapeutic Touch.  I am also a Shamanic Practitioner, so the term 'etherial' meaning 'not of this world' (sometimes spelled ethereal) seems to suit!
bigfatpolarbear
Swab

Just Call Me Bear

bigfatp0larbear
« Reply #1084 on: December 16, 2010, 01:39:31 am »

I had one of those irritating friends who could pull the girls in any situation, you know the one. Whenever a group of girls needed splitting up so he could hone in on one of them he would walk up and say "Big fat polar bear". When he had their full attention he would then say "well, that broke the ice". When he did it, the girls giggled and he was in there chatting away. When I tried it the response was often "banker" or "kent" ... at least I think that's what they said. In later years as a biker I repeated this tale to a local Hells Angel leader, who started calling me Big Fat Polar Bear, or often just Bear. It stuck, and has remained my nickname and internet ID for the last 30 years.

Ever stop to think ... and forget to start again?
cyberjacques
Zeppelin Captain

Inventor, Member of the Van Helsing Society

« Reply #1085 on: December 17, 2010, 12:06:42 am »

I haven't thought up a persona name for myself yet, but a friend and I were geeking out a few weeks ago and I came up with a good one for a female scientist persona:  Dr. Constance Planck.  Yes, I know, I'm a nerd.

Though now I'm somewhat disappointed, since Google has informed me that I was not the first person to think of it. Cry
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:16:08 am by cyberjacques » Logged

"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet
Cpt.K.J.Pantling
Deck Hand

« Reply #1086 on: December 18, 2010, 04:18:36 pm »

Cpt. Drew Wyndham husband to Dr Wyndham i'm a former U.S.A.F captain who left after meeting my wife and being framed for the murder of my commanding officer. now using my airship "Destiny" i will take any job offered if the price is right while still searching for the person that framed me and took away my career
Gulliver
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #1087 on: December 21, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »

I have a fairly steamy name already. My given name is Gulliver, and I have a double-barrelled surname. I mean, I'd never be the hero in a novel, but I would certainly be the know-it-all aristocrat scientist who provides information dumps to ease the reader in.

Not that I've though about this too much, you understand.
HerrMojo
Gunner

Howdy-do, y'all.

« Reply #1088 on: December 21, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »

Howdy,

I never thought much about a persona name until I saw this thread.  I was going for the clothing, the information, gorgeous arts, use in RPG's, writing, and airsoft (long story there).  Roll Eyes

This is why my board name is "HerrMojo" (another long story), rather than "Hauptmann Wilheim Van Der Smeeks" or something similar.

The breakthrough came when I assisted my mother in our family geneology.  And low and behold, there was the Scottish "Patterson" family line (not Irish, we checked).

So, I based my persona on the real events from one branch of the family line:  From Scotland, stopped over in Ireland, went to Canada, then settled in Carver County, Minnesota.

The name's Dan Patterson, first generation Scottish born in the United States.  Nicknamed "Mungo" by my relatives after my grandfather, who was also a big fella.   

Cheers,

Dan Smiley     
brasseyes
Deck Hand

« Reply #1089 on: December 28, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

I guess I just wanted something I hadn't had before, and something relevent to steampunk. I didn't think about it long.
Oh yeah, I also had the TV show, Brasseye in mind whilst coming up with it  Grin
C/Sgt Winston Ulyanov
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

Load yer rifles boys, it's fightin' time!

« Reply #1090 on: December 31, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

The offspring of a migrant Russian noblewoman and her lover, an Afro-Caribbean inventor, Winston Ulyanov led a dull life in his mothers home in Sussex. Upon his seventeenth birthday, he promptly joined the Royal Marines and served with distinction, earning the rank of Colour Sergeant. He is currently serving aboard HMSD Nelson over South Africa as it performs counter-insurgency operations against the Boers.
Orswel Dnswel
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #1091 on: January 02, 2011, 01:57:36 pm »

Greeetings fellow steam associated individuals.
               Allow me to introduce myself as Orswel D'nswel (a variation on: All's well that ends well).

Backgraound: Born into a family of wealth as the soldier son. Trained as an officer of her majesty royal army, witness to the slaughter of his unit. Betrayed by his country and family for a crime i didn't commit. Currently seeks redemption and retibution. Known associate to numerous
seedy underground individuals.

Skills: expert hand to hand combat, skilled marksman, skilled with any blade.

Willings to take any offered job, no matter the danger involved...

Orswel D'nswel
Prof. M. F. Sanders, Esq.
Deck Hand

« Reply #1092 on: January 02, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »

Well, I am a professor, and my initials are M.F. Sanders, so there's not a lot of originality in my choosing. Tongue The Esq. bit just came from an old book I have of titles, honourifics, prefixes and suffixes. As many higher gentlemen during the Victorian era were labeled as such, I found it both appealing and apropos. I could have just as easily called myself Prof. M. F. Sanders, Gent., but I felt Esq. was a better fit.

No, I do not practice law. That is some bizarre futuristic Yank convention. Wink
flashheart
Deck Hand

« Reply #1093 on: January 03, 2011, 01:44:32 am »

Well, obviously enough Flashheart is from Blackadder, But i almost used (now i am wondering why i didnt..oh well, too late now) Einar Gosric, who in my gaming universe is a Space Pirate and the last descendant of Jacob F Gosric. Captain in Her Majesties Air Service and first man to make an ether walk...
The name Gosric sounded kind of like a good Germanic/early British name, and likely is,  but in this case  is actually from the way a Japanese friend of mine pronounces the word Gothic (Oh my god, that is so Gosric) so i had to use it.

Damn you Edison!
Paulstaf Green
Snr. Officer
England England

The Topper Above a Sea of Mediocrity

« Reply #1094 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:52 pm »

Due in part to my dark sense of humour combined with my 'stalking' (I was hardly stalking! I was merely going somewhere with purpose) around the neighbourhood in the recent fog wearing a highwayman's coat and top hat (and cane, of course) I have become known among friends and enemies alike as Attleborough Jack. It's a name I'm bloody proud of as it is undoubtedly more Steampunk than another nickname I acquired - Puppy.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd
Dr. D.P. Nelthorpe IV
Gunner

Call me Nel :)

« Reply #1095 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:50 pm »

I wanted to reply to this because I had quite the debate with myself over what name to use here.  My real name is unique enough, and I always go by it on the web.  As my last name is ridiculously long and obviously german, it probably would have made a great steampunk-ish name.  However, the whole point of me checking out this website, and then deciding to join in, was to further develop my steampunk writing; so in the end, I decided to go by the name of my female lead character in my first steampunk novel; Dr. Dahlia Parker Nelthorpe IV.  I may eventually decide to take her into role-play, but for now, I shall just use her name.  She is very wrapped up in her research, and can get a bit -erm, blunt- when interrupted.  Her name came from a variety of name generators, just mixing and matching things until I found something that sounded like her.  She's been with me for a few years now, and her character is LOOSLY based on the captain from Disney's Treasure Planet. 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."-- C.S. Lewis.
NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« Reply #1096 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »

Im accident prone

Somehow got the needle from the sewing machine in high school stuck in my finger (it broke apart from the machine so lucky i didnt have to carry that to hospital) but i had the safety on so there was no way i could of done it... but somehow i did. I heard some kids calling my Natz The Nutter so i took that name and have used it for pretty much everything ever since.

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1097 on: January 05, 2011, 10:57:28 pm »

Im accident prone

Somehow got the needle from the sewing machine in high school stuck in my finger (it broke apart from the machine so lucky i didnt have to carry that to hospital) but i had the safety on so there was no way i could of done it... but somehow i did. I heard some kids calling my Natz The Nutter so i took that name and have used it for pretty much everything ever since.

I cringed a fair amount reading that.
NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« Reply #1098 on: January 05, 2011, 11:24:12 pm »

Sorry didnt think about people finding it nasty  Tongue

Thats the one time i done something like that and was amused by peoples reactions rather than screaming my own head off in pain.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1099 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:06 pm »

I did something vaguely similar at work once. I shan't elaborate. Let's just say that I was more bemused at how everyone else took it and not getting blood all over the workpiece than I was about getting to the hospital for stitches! Some lessons you only need to learn once, eh? haha!

Welcome aboard, by the way. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:31:25 pm by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: