The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2020, 10:25:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 207788 times)
JoannaSpanner
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1000 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:19 pm »

Not a persona name so much but my forum name Joanna Spanner is basically one of my nicknames. Ive a feeling its got less to do with my handyness with tools and more to do with the fact that it rhymes and also that when I was growing up someone who was a spanner was a bit of a twit...Yup, sounds like me  Grin
 Im also Oggybear and Colin the mole...Split personality?  Me?Huh   Shocked  Wink  Smiley
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #1001 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:51 am »

Im also Oggybear and Colin the mole...Split personality?  Me?Huh   Shocked  Wink  Smiley

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're ok now! hehehe... 

Or you could do, "Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I!"

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1002 on: September 17, 2010, 06:46:21 am »

Careful Xenos. Split personality and schizophrenia aren't the same thing.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #1003 on: September 17, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »

Perhaps it's changed since the last time I looked into the matter (I've had cousins suffering from said conditions) but I was under the impression that MPD was a subclass of schizophrenia.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #1004 on: September 17, 2010, 08:19:11 pm »

Aye, I'm aware.  Scizophrenia kinda runs in my wife's side of the family.  Dissociative identity disorder (or Multiple Personality Disorder, or MPD) is TOTALLY different (although, to be fair, most who suffer MPD are also schizophrenic).  Scizophrenia is actually closer to disassociative disorder (a losing touch with reality), and often times those who suffer from it are misdiagnosed with something else altogether (MPD, Borderline Personality Disorder, even Bi Polar, since Bi Polar and schizophrenia are VERY close...)!

Sorry about that, and I hope I didnt offend anyone with my strange brand of humor.
Madame Momerath
Snr. Officer

All is not lost! Some of it is hidden.

« Reply #1005 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:13 am »

My name comes from "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. Well, part of it at least. Back in high school (in the days before the aethernet), my sister and I came up with nicknames for each other. She's Sister Slithytove, by the way. When I finally got online for the first time, I began using the name and it's been that ever since.

Look to the sky. You will not find answers there, but you will certainly see what everyone's screaming about.
Wolfie
Gunner
Mexico Mexico

Storyteller

« Reply #1006 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:20 am »

In my teens I hung with all sorts of people in black uniforms (metal, synth, goth etc.) and for a while they tried to give me the nickname Wolf(well, Vargen, I lived in sweden then). Now whilst this may be an ideal nickname in the metal community, I just felt it was way too pretentious, as I felt about nearly that entire crowd. My best friend called me Wolfie at some point as a joke. She said it in the same sense that I do now: a sort of "fuck all these dark or macho nicknames", and so it stuck.

"Wolfie" became my way of mocking all those people around me who took themselves too seriously, and it became my permanent online alias.

I invite you all to follow the development of The Amazing Mechanical Mind Enhancer
http://mechanicalmindenhancer.blogspot.com/
C Pendulum-Tickworthy
Officer
England England

« Reply #1007 on: September 27, 2010, 04:30:57 pm »

"Wolfie" became my way of mocking all those people around me who took themselves too seriously, and it became my permanent online alias.

http://www.tootingpopularfront.com/
In the UK, back in the seventies, we had a TV program where Wolfie was a loveable rogue Smiley

For me, I have always been a tinkerer, when thinking of a name I wanted something that related to my day job and love of all things 'automatic' but not too moderm, a clock maybe?
A random conversation brought up the old TV series 'Planet of the Apes', I remember Conelius Galen being one of the main characters - "Cornelius Pendulum" has a sort of rhythm, -Tickworthy is just more clockwork, a pendulum is no use if it isn't tick-worthy!
Convoluted or what!
Poppy Locks
Gunner
England England

« Reply #1008 on: September 27, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »

Poppy Locks is a very recent creation!  I'd been searching for a name for rather a long time and was mulling the problem over while I was working on a customers handbag....  You see, in order to create the rest of the persona, I always need a name to work with!  Anyway, back to this customers handbag.....

The customer was called Poppy and I was resetting the Lock........

Huzzah!  Poppy Locks was born!

Poppy Wink

SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #1009 on: September 27, 2010, 09:52:29 pm »

considering the expression "Poppycock" (also a tasty treat here in the US) I think Poppy Locks flows rather well.  I think I also displays the lighthearted spirit of steampunk  Grin
Wolfie
Gunner
Mexico Mexico

Storyteller

« Reply #1010 on: September 27, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

In the UK, back in the seventies, we had a TV program where Wolfie was a loveable rogue Smiley

Did not know that! Cheesy
Seems I have to go hunting along the amazon.com to track it down!
Now where did I leave the key to my steamboat...?
Poppy Locks
Gunner
England England

« Reply #1011 on: September 27, 2010, 11:10:31 pm »

considering the expression "Poppycock" (also a tasty treat here in the US) I think Poppy Locks flows rather well.  I think I also displays the lighthearted spirit of steampunk  Grin

Why thank you very much!  I must admit that for some reason, it always makes me smile!  Cheesy

Poppy
capt. otto
Swab

« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2010, 10:46:35 am »

new here so this is my first post for the site. sometimes when im board i daydream im a sky pirate captain and i use the name Captain Otto Zedock a gentlemen to the ladies and scoundrel to men!
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #1013 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can I just throw in the even more unusual word Xenophrenia

Meaning foreign or alien state of mind, I came across it in reference to the experiences of  initiates into the Mystery religions in the early First Millenium BCE...

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #1014 on: September 30, 2010, 06:57:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can I just throw in the even more unusual word Xenophrenia

Meaning foreign or alien state of mind, I came across it in reference to the experiences of  initiates into the Mystery religions in the early First Millenium BCE...

Makes perfect sense, really...  Xenos is greek for "foreign" or "stranger," also "alien!"  So, yeah, the nomenclature makes perfect sense...
Captain Emilia Etherheart
Swab

« Reply #1015 on: September 30, 2010, 08:16:47 pm »

Well, I didn't see any air pirates over the weekend and I wondered about that.  In the car on the way home I was thinking about going as an air pirate captain next year, and it evolved from Amelia Earhart.  I also was approached by a friend (the wonderful Fi from Adixxition) about making steampunk jewellery to go with her corsets, so it'd be part of that too.  We'll have to see how that goes though, she's taking samples to the Whitby Goth Weekend to see how they sell.
Major Dickie Woodruff
Deck Hand

« Reply #1016 on: September 30, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »

I say emilia

I didn't realise it was you, is your young man on here??

By the way my nick on here comes from my good lady and myself wondering the graveyard at WGW where she came up with Eliza and I being Rikki came up with Dickie and Major and MC<Mso & DSO well they speak for themselves

Major Dickie Woodruff, M.C., DSO, MSO.
Hunter of the last sabre toothed Duck billed platipus.
Troppo Laird of Dunans Ca
« Reply #1017 on: October 01, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »

Well my name is a combination of a couple of different titles/reasons.
I grew up in far north queensland and up there if you went mad/nuts/crazy it was known as going 'troppo', always being an outsider and a rider of a short fuse i was always told i was 'troppo'. Then when i eventually went online i needed a nic, it seemed troppo was already taken so i took troppolad which was soon shortened by all and sundry to troppo. I worked with guys for the best part of ten years who actually thought it was my real name lol.
he Laird of Dunans Castle is actually a legal rightful and legal title for me to use, though where would i use it, other than in a place that appreciates things like that? Mrs Troppo bought me  the title for my birthday a few years ago and while i managed to get a few 'yer lairdship' beers out of it its been worth little more than a laugh till now.
So i`m not really bothered what i get called but i answer most often to troppo.
Cheers all
Troppo
JackGreycloud
Deck Hand

« Reply #1018 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:21 am »

Hello all!
I used my own mixed heritage as a base to create a native american character, with a cool sounding Indian name. 'Jack' comes from my nickname, so that part was easy, the 'Grey Cloud' part actually comes from a line from one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs '...I taught the clouds how to cover up a clear blue sky...'.
Yup, so that's me!
Hallivand
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

~ Bring back the Aristocracy

« Reply #1019 on: October 08, 2010, 02:33:37 am »

Well due to my obsession with aviation from a young age, I was always a fan of the designs from Geoffery de Havilland (especially the Comet 3 ^_^) and since I never liked how "de Havilland" sounded, just changed it to van Hallivand and the names stuck with me for my online persona ever since...and the occasional acting Wink

IT MUST BE GRAND. EXTRAVAGANT. MAGNIFICENT.
Killford
« Reply #1020 on: October 10, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »

Killford is a spoonerism on my last name.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1021 on: October 10, 2010, 07:48:49 pm »

Fillkord? Cheesy

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Killford
« Reply #1022 on: October 11, 2010, 07:12:04 am »

haha! or the almighty fliklord!!! i do appologise it isn't a spoonerism because you do have to swap 2 letters for a C and another F....  Tongue
Dante Coal
Officer

Forever a martyr

« Reply #1023 on: October 12, 2010, 08:24:50 pm »

the name Dante has always rang a bell in my head and after i started reading the Inferno i thought it would be a good choice, as my friends often refer to me as a poet.
as for Coal, it was originally Cole, but i then made a friend with that last name and i thought it would be strange to take it as my own. so Coal it was. Also, my brother and i work at the forge from time to time, Coal would only be fitting of a metal worker.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Vinnie J NL
Swab

Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1024 on: October 12, 2010, 09:07:28 pm »

he people I just registered at this forum im researching steampunk for school I study Fashion&managment and I hope you guys can help me
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: