The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:15:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALS Icebucket challenge  (Read 1148 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« on: August 22, 2014, 09:05:56 am »

I'm curious to hear thoughts on the topic, though I'm sure I'll disagree with some of the replies, I still would like to hear peoples thoughts.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:44 am »

I'm curious to hear thoughts on the topic, though I'm sure I'll disagree with some of the replies, I still would like to hear peoples thoughts.

I never heard of it before; it must be because I get out too much.

On balance, I don't have anything against it, and it's certainly less questionable than Neck Nomination.

And there is a long tradition of dunking somebody in cold water to raise money, at least in the UK: at summer fairs when I was a kid there would always be somebody (school teacher, head of year, councillor, mayor, etc) on a ducking stool, for a small fee you could throw blocks at a target, hitting the target would work the mechanism to dunk the victim. The money would go to fund some cause or other (school equipment, non-medical hospital equipment such as children's books and games, etc).

On the other hand, I'm against charities being necessary to pick up the tab for what should be funded by government out of the taxes we pay. The point of a national system where everybody contributes is that everybody benefits from it.

Being so unlucky to fall ill with something that is not covered and having to rely on the goodwill and hope that enough people will help out is an terrible injustice.

I'd better stop; I'm getting into a grey area with regards to discussion of politics, I know.

--
Keith
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »

it's all over both social media and traditional media here. it's gotten enough attention that there are people whining that it is annoying to them to see so many people dumping ice water on themselves.

the goal isn't really to fill a gap in healthcare, it's to generate awareness and funds to increase the available resources toward therapies and maybe one day a cure.

By all accounts last year the cause had 1.5 million usd in donations. This year 15 million and counting. More than that is the fact that over a million people have posted videos talking about something that a year ago most people didn't ever think about.

and for me one of the most important things has been: Every day a person with an unknown illness wakes up they face the truth that there is a monster in the room with them and it will be there sapping their energy for the rest of their shortened lifetime... and nobody else in their community sees it, nobody knows the monsters name or sees it following everywhere they go. It's terrifying, tiring, and lonely. And now suddenly over million people are on line telling these folks they see it now too and they are naming it and they are spreading the word and supporting the fight...

That alone I think is a message worth going viral.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »

It sounds really cold. Good way of getting attention too.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »

Kermit the Frog Takes the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:06 am »

By all accounts last year the cause had 1.5 million usd in donations. This year 15 million and counting. More than that is the fact that over a million people have posted videos talking about something that a year ago most people didn't ever think about.

There ya go.. that's all that's needed to shut the critics up. Even those who whine about people doing the challenge but not donating: they are still doing their small bit spreading awareness about ALS. And to those that whine to people who donate but don't do the challenge: I'm pretty sure you're missing the point entirely.. Tongue
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 06:08:12 pm »

I'm starting to realize that the real trend going on out there is condecending disapproval. I mean there is no easier way to seem so super smart and a real grown up is to belittle the whole thing as a waste of water for being an attention whore, while kids in africa go without water.

it is starting to really tick me off. Because not only does it make people who would otherwise support the cause hesitate, and it misses the point all together, but I promise you the ones doing the whining haven't stopped taking three showers a day and haven't donated a damn thing to africa or ALS.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

If people want to do it it's their choice. I just donate money without the risk of a lung infection. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:04:08 pm »

I think I might do this, challenge. contrary to what some of the people elsewhere say, the point isn't just the money. Like I said before people have been donating all hush-hush for years now. Soon as we start dumping ice water on ourselves the money donated jumps by 15x. and then we get videos like
#ALSicebucket Haters... watch this...

Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:11:01 am »

My shares in 'Ice Cubes 'R' Us' and 'Bucket-U-Like' have gone though the ceiling.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:39 am »

I plan on taking this challenge this weekend. I also plan on challenge as many Brass Gogglers as will respond.

What do we want? Decapitations!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 04:33:12 pm »

http://rt.com/news/183236-ice-bucket-als-water-scarcity/

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:10 pm »

According to a new survey:

"53% of people who did complete the challenge did not know what cause it was supporting... 56% of those who did participate said they did not donate afterwards, while over a third of respondents said they did the challenge just to gain attention on social media... Only 16% said they donated between £1 and £3 to an ALS charity after completing the challenge, while 3% said they donated £10 or more".

In all fairness, I think this study (carried out by VoucherCodesPro, that well-known polling organisation) was hardly scientific. Also the different names for the condition (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig's disease in the US, Motor Neurone Disease (MND) in the UK) probably cause some confusion.

And at least the net effect has been overwhelmingly positive... According to the same article, "Despite the less than encouraging responses, the ALS Association has received a record $94.3 million (£57 million) in donations since 29 July. The group received $2.7 million (£1.6 million) during the same time period in 2013, highlighting the success of this year's challenge."

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 09:06:11 am »

Would it be appropriate to start a thread on what our community can do? And what section would that be, Metaphysical or Aural Ocular?  I haven't seen anything from Steampunk yet, but the Foglios have taken the challenge.

Professors Foglio & Foglio accept the Chilling ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:09:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:25 am »

Would it be appropriate to start a thread on what our community can do? And what section would that be, Metaphysical or Aural Ocular?  I haven't seen anything from Steampunk yet, but the Foglios have taken the challenge.

Professors Foglio & Foglio accept the Chilling ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!

Just awesome guys Smiley
Challenge completed and a cracker of a videogram to boot Cheesy

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:07 am »

"53% of people who did complete the challenge did not know what cause it was supporting... 56% of those who did participate said they did not donate afterwards, while over a third of respondents said they did the challenge just to gain attention on social media... Only 16% said they donated between £1 and £3 to an ALS charity after completing the challenge, while 3% said they donated £10 or more".

In all fairness, I think this study (carried out by VoucherCodesPro, that well-known polling organisation) was hardly scientific. Also the different names for the condition (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig's disease in the US, Motor Neurone Disease (MND) in the UK) probably cause some confusion.

And at least the net effect has been overwhelmingly positive... According to the same article, "Despite the less than encouraging responses, the ALS Association has received a record $94.3 million (£57 million) in donations since 29 July. The group received $2.7 million (£1.6 million) during the same time period in 2013, highlighting the success of this year's challenge."

Hang on, so £55.4 million where the donated more than last year? 56% of the participents donated, of witch 16% about £1-3, 3% £10 or more. I don't know how many people did the challenge, but not nearly enough people are on the planet to gather that kind of money with those percentages. Without doing the math, one can clearly see that most of the donations where made by non-participents.  Undecided

If I get challenged, I'd probably donate €3 and won't accept and forward the challenge. In that case I would have done more than the average icebucket thrower... I also don't feel the need to share my donation for feelgood "likes" on Facebook.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good cause and a good way to raise awareness and money, but the point is made. In general, it's slacktivism. Forwarding the challenge to raise awareness, without donating is like telling people to "do as I say, don't do as I do". No offence to those who did.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »

Hang on, so £55.4 million where the donated more than last year? 56% of the participents donated, of witch 16% about £1-3, 3% £10 or more. I don't know how many people did the challenge, but not nearly enough people are on the planet to gather that kind of money with those percentages. Without doing the math, one can clearly see that most of the donations where made by non-participents.  Undecided

If I get challenged, I'd probably donate €3 and won't accept and forward the challenge. In that case I would have done more than the average icebucket thrower... I also don't feel the need to share my donation for feelgood "likes" on Facebook.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good cause and a good way to raise awareness and money, but the point is made. In general, it's slacktivism. Forwarding the challenge to raise awareness, without donating is like telling people to "do as I say, don't do as I do". No offence to those who did.

Most people I know who did it paid the full donation anyway and did the ice bucket to generate visibility to pass it along to 3-6 other people.

The math works fine that way even if you stick with a lesser donation. 1 person donates $10, calls out 3 friends who each donate ten dollars in a video where he dumps water on himself, three people donate 10 in videos where they dump water on themselves and call out 9 other people...

it's like compounding interest payments. and it doesn't happen if a person quietly donates and nobody but them is aware of it.

But when you throw in people who called out more than three folks, donated more than $10, and those who where never challenged by a friend but joined the process and started their own friends to the process... and then you take those who donated because of increased awareness due the challenge without actually partaking of the challenge.

They all add up to the greater increase in donation and awareness, and none of which happens without the challenge.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 03:54:19 am »

so I did up some video... but the sound quality was crap so I'm going to redo that part. once I dub it and edit (any advice would be most welcome, this is literally my first video for online) does anyone care to be challenged?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: