The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 01:04:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miranda's cheapskate Steampunk apparel  (Read 7409 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 11:17:39 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A garter-borne hip flask. Brilliant.

It's also just what I need for officiating tea-duelling.
Thanks for the idea, Miranda!

I remain yours,
Prof Cecily

One thing though to note is that garter belts are not actually that tight (otherwise they'd cut off the circulation and you'd get a numb leg...) I don't think the idea of a sallon-girl with a derringer tucked into her garter belt wouldn't work; after jut a few steps aformentioned garter and gun wold be down around her ankle. For my 'Vampire hunter' one I attach it up to my corset via suspender straps to stop it 'going south', and I think this will be a must when holding a hip-flask.

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
 I managed to buy a small hip-flask at the EuroSteamCon in Barcelona and after I've steamed it up, your advice shall be my guide.
Thank you, My dear!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 09:56:27 pm »

Will you be posting photos of the event somewhere on the forum?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 08:37:52 am »

My dear admiral, there was a plethora of photographers at the event and their work can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/eurosteamcon.barcelona
The album is being updated daily and well worth perusing!
May I draw your attention to the fact that almost ALL the outfits are designed and made by the folk wearing them. I was most impressed by the 'cheapskate' approach to Steampunk apparel.
Here's a video where you can actually see my portable time machine- entirely made from bits and pieces found in the street and paint.
http://www.btv.cat/btvnoticies/2015/10/04/fira-steampunk-ciencia-ficcio-tecnologia-vapor/

The time machine is featured at 00:12.
The dear baron and I are featured a bit later on.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 06:45:10 pm »

My dear admiral, there was a plethora of photographers at the event and their work can be seen here:
May I draw your attention to the fact that almost ALL the outfits are designed and made by the folk wearing them. I was most impressed by the 'cheapskate' approach to Steampunk apparel.
Here's a video where you can actually see my portable time machine- entirely made from bits and pieces found in the street and paint.
http://www.btv.cat/btvnoticies/2015/10/04/fira-steampunk-ciencia-ficcio-tecnologia-vapor/

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

A good looking bunch, and it looks like you had a good crowd in attendance. I'll have to check back in to Facebook to see if more pictures have been posted.

Thanks!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Do love the time machine, and do love your hat!

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2015, 06:28:07 am »

Thank you, Miranda!
The time machine is made entirely from hings I found here and there, assembled , painted and glued together, Total cost, about 1.50€.

The hat was made from an exercise mat, painted and varnished and trimmed with white lace  I'd painted painted black  to achieve stiffness, edged with thin black ribbon and garnished with over a hundred brass studs.
Four curled black ostrich feathers, a  black spotted  veil and a giant steampunk cricket completed the hat. Total cost to construct the  hat- 10 euros. The trimmings were another 15 euros, but can be used with other hats. I had fun learning to curl ostrich feathers.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2015, 11:00:28 am »

I am envious of the skills of both you ladies.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2015, 02:47:11 pm »

Thank you, Miranda!
The time machine is made entirely from hings I found here and there, assembled , painted and glued together, Total cost, about 1.50€.

The hat was made from an exercise mat, painted and varnished and trimmed with white lace  I'd painted painted black  to achieve stiffness, edged with thin black ribbon and garnished with over a hundred brass studs.
Four curled black ostrich feathers, a  black spotted  veil and a giant steampunk cricket completed the hat. Total cost to construct the  hat- 10 euros. The trimmings were another 15 euros, but can be used with other hats. I had fun learning to curl ostrich feathers.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

From an exercise mat! How wonderfully resourceful! Now I would never have guessed the foundations of your handsome headwear.

I am envious of the skills of both you ladies.

Many thanks!

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »

A quick missive; for those ladies reading this who like to blend their eras (and live in the UK), I noticed today that Roman Originals have in new season stock some 20s inspired 'flapper' dresses in black and red; multi-layers of tassels and beaded neckline. However, not exactly cheapskate at £50. I shall take my chances in the end-of-season sale with these...

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:38 am »

This evening Steampunk Madrid goes diesel, in honour of the International Dieselpunk Day.
We're celebrating Madrid's first event centred on Deiselpunk with afternoon beers in a 1930's bar followed by a private viewing of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow in a CinePub (Dr Steam) and followed by discussion til any hours and Indian food in one of Lavapies' many Indian restaurants.

I have my ourfit planned- longish tweed pencil skirt, brown silk blouse (a € apiece in a charity shop), a cream canvas halter underbust corset, perfect shoes, a vintage mini doctor's bag handbag and a 40`s vintage faux fur coat.

Now I have to trim a little hat I found for 5 euros. Miranda's example gives me the courage to think I can pull off the look by rummaging in my trimming boxes.

Thanks so much for this thread, Miranda. I reckon it's a public service for all who want to 'hoist the colours' without bankrupting themselves.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 08:58:53 pm »

This evening Steampunk Madrid goes diesel, in honour of the International Dieselpunk Day.
We're celebrating Madrid's first event centred on Deiselpunk with afternoon beers in a 1930's bar followed by a private viewing of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow in a CinePub (Dr Steam) and followed by discussion til any hours and Indian food in one of Lavapies' many Indian restaurants.

I have my ourfit planned- longish tweed pencil skirt, brown silk blouse (a € apiece in a charity shop), a cream canvas halter underbust corset, perfect shoes, a vintage mini doctor's bag handbag and a 40`s vintage faux fur coat.

Now I have to trim a little hat I found for 5 euros. Miranda's example gives me the courage to think I can pull off the look by rummaging in my trimming boxes.

Thanks so much for this thread, Miranda. I reckon it's a public service for all who want to 'hoist the colours' without bankrupting themselves.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

That sounds delightful - both the day and the couture; do please post a picture when you have time. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a very good choice of film too!

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 04:04:03 am »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

couldn't understand a word  - but it all looked   splendid

[ and that is the important thing ! ]
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 12:33:28 am »

This entry is a homage to the idea that you never throw anything away. Yes, your home will begin to look like a cross between a jumble sale and a council tip, but you never know when things will come in useful.

So, we needed outfits for the recent Steampunks in Space, to which there was to be a pirate theme. My youngest designed her outfit, deciding it should be predominately gold, with a full skirt and short sleeves. I was all set to head out to try to hunt down some material, but then a little memory stirred of an old purchased costume at the back of the eldest's wardrobe:

So this is obviously a Pirates of the Caribbean costume that my eldest had when she was about five. So, already looking the part but far too short - my youngest is now eight. However, it was still wide enough for her (she's a slim thing), so time for a bit of re-working:

The skirt was taken off the bodice, and the two made separate. The sleeves removed from the top and cut down, with just the filly part used to make the short sleeves she wished for, whilst the remainder made the necessary extension to lengthen the bodice, with a bit of lace added. The adornments of cameos and cogs were laid out by my daughter.

For my own part, I needed to make a faux corset. Why, you may ask, bother, when I'm going to be wearing a corset anyway? Well, I wanted it to go with the red lace top I'd purchased a while back and thought looked suitably piraty (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43644.msg928433.html#msg928433). Now, I own two corsets. My Axfords one is black, but it's also over twenty years old, so whilst it still works it's a bit too frayed to be used as outer-wear. My other is purple, so would not go with the red. So, I needed something that would look appropriate and work with the red lace.

I started with this old stretchy body which has been sitting in the 'to be recycled' box:

The first thing that was done was to turn it back to front, as the low back would make an underbust look for the front. Then plastic boning was sewn in around the body to give some shape; easily done as the plastic was bonded to a ribbon which could be sewn directly to the fabric. The seams for this were then picked out using thin metallic copper piping. A cog and pin motif was added at the front to masquerade as a busk and some false lacing added to the back:

The full outfit is here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg956339.html#msg956339, although unfortunately the pose isn't really showing the pseudo-corset.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:42:08 am by Miranda.T » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 10:01:57 am »

What a clever thing you are, my dear Miranda!
What a joy and inspiration to read your sagas of derring-do!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »

What a clever thing you are, my dear Miranda!
What a joy and inspiration to read your sagas of derring-do!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Many thanks!

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:40 pm »

This year's Whitby outfit embodied a few different themes. Of course the cheapskate approach, but also a dose of practicality; for once I wanted to stay warm! Earlier in this thread I detailed the making of a jacket from a short pile blanket, with thoughts of Halloween outings and Whitby. Well, it worked fine in the late autumn in the midlands, but mid spring in Whitby - I was shivering from that Whitby wind.

And the latter prompted a re-think on the lower part of my outfit. For the last couple of years we've stayed outside the town, so needing to drive necessitated wearing shorter skirts. However, this year we were billeted near the harbor, so my thought had been to wear my crinoline. However, it stuck me that this could actually be dangerous - if the Strong wind caught it whilst climbing one of the many sets of steps around the town (Whitby is quite a 'vertical' place) I could imagine being thrown off them. So, a re-think. Unfortunately, this came to me just two and a half weeks before the event, so whatever was going to be made, it had to be quick, which gave the third theme - an expedited production, leading to the last theme - make do and mend, as in whatever was going to be made had to be from what was in stock as there was no time to look for new materials.

What was in stock (from our local charity shop of course) was a grey duvet and pillow set, with a darker ersatz silk type material on one side and a lighter cotton on the other. What drew me to it was a fancy panel on the one side of both the pillow and duvet cover, which I though would make a good centre panel for both a jacket and skirt. Unfortunately, it was just a single set, so not a lot of material to play with. However, I had a bag of scraps from previous projects with some decently sized sections of purple material. I'd always liked Winona Ryder's grey outfit in Bram Stokers Dracula in that it looked quite constained from the front but then had this wildly over the top bustle at the back. So I decided to use the purple material to make the bustle, and the colour would help lift the overall outfit.

For warmth, I had in stock a charity shop short fur coat. I had bought it to add a fur collar and cuffs to an 'everyday' M&S jacket I have to give it a bit more interest, but I thought it could do just as well here. So with that, a black duvet for lining and one more element I shall mention shortly, I was ready to start.

Here is the skirt and jacket front and back (a bit baggy in these pictures as the dress form is about a size 8 and I'm... not  Wink):

The pattern used for the body is here http://patternkingdom.com/Butterick3012.html, and works really well as it flares out over the skirt at the front and side but is cut high at the back to make way for the bustle. However, for anyone using this watch the sizing. I cut it as a UK 14 for the waist and over a 16 across the bust, but when I tried on the lining (made up first to check the fit) I found the waist needed to be taken in and it would not close across the chest. This was not a problem as I was adding the fancy front panel (and a panel behind it to button through from) on to this pattern, and that then gave enough width for my bust. All I needed to do was cut up the centre of the original front panel and then, by a little trial and error, curve this so that when the final panel was sewn on there was a good fit.

I got all but two of the bodice panels from the cotton side of the pillow case, but had to steal from the edge of the duvet for the last two. The sleeves would really have used up two much material if I hadn't decided on a little cheat; I unpicked the sleeves from the fur jacket (including the lining), and then cut the fur part just below the elbow to give the elongated fur cuffs. This saved material and the time to make the sleeve lining and cuffs. I used this pattern for the upper sleeve http://www.simplicity.com/misses-steampunk-costume/1819.html, but even then it took the other side of the pillow (the dark grey for contrast to the bodice panels) and a section from the duvet. The top fur was easy to add - its was just the upper selves opened up for the back and the collar of the coat for the front.

The skirt was of course made from the duvet, using the fancy panel for the front and the cotton section for the rest. Now, here is a really quick way of making a full skirt. Make up the skirt just from a rectangle of your material, obviously wide enough for the botton of the skirt and long enough for the drop you want. Make up a waist band of the right size, and then just gather the top of the skirt to the waist band and you're done! On the dress form I could see the duvet was long enough to cut a rectangle of material from at the bottom, and I added the cotton part of this back into the skirt to give as much fullness as possible. The fancy panel part was cut into four strips and used to edge the botton of the skirt (to save all the tedious and time consuming invisible stitch hemming).

Now the bustle; here's some detail on it:

The remaining material from the duvet (the dark grey for contrast) was gathered to make the lower bustle (with some purple trim), and the upper from the purple material scraps, sewn together with the seams hidden in the ruffles. The top was stiffed with a little left over netting, but even so that would not give enough volume. Which leads to the bustle's little secret... I decided what was the point of a bustle which was just a load of padding or a cage? Why not make it something useful - a bustle bag.

This is an old handbag we had in the loft. Into it has been sewn thin plastic plumbing tubing to give it shape, and punched into it eyelets so the lower (grey) and upper (purple) bustles can be laced on (I'd like to be be able to use this with other outfits). The upper bustle is simply lifted up to access the bag.

To hold it in place, it's attached via clips to an old leather belt hidden in the waist band of the skirt:

The eyelets used to expose the laces are camping ones, and as you can see the paint I used on then wasn't too successful - that will need a bit of a rethink, but the bustle itself worked really well. It carried around my umbrella, hair brush, emergency repair makeup (no, and not a tr owl for the person who shouted that out from the back!) and various purchases from the Bizare Bazaar (including a bottle of Transylvanian tonic water...) and, with a little bag for money and mobile hanging off my chain belt, I was able to go handbag free, which was quite nice as it left my hands free for pushing the hair away that the wind kept blowing into my face...

One final little part to this. I of course needed a hat, and the one posted right at the start of this thread worked quite well but just wasn't quite right. Then I realised I missed a tick with that. It was made from a Pringles mini-tube with the top material sewn onto the plastic cap, which I'd then stuck on. So it struck me, why not make the cap interchangeable so others could be made with the material of the outfit on them? So I carefully praised off the original, tidied up the trim and made a new one with the purple material on it:

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:03:27 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2016, 09:24:06 am »

Of course.
A bustle bag.

Your inventive creativity is beyond praise, miss Miranda.
I shall rethink my bustles...

Obviously, the next time I'm in a second-hand shop, garish duvets and curtains shall receive a fresh consideration.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »

I've already said how much I like this outfit elsewhere; now I am in total awe.  A brilliant bit of designer workmanship, made even more so by the fact that it is made of 'previously owned' fabric and in such a short space of time.  It's splendid!
My heartiest congratulations.

Regards,
Cora

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2016, 06:01:45 pm »

For those here with an interest in sewing and access to the BBC, The Great British Sewing Bee returns to BBC2 next Monday (16.5.16) at 9 pm BST.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »

Yes, with a new judge (but the divine Patrick is still there). 
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:54 pm »

Excellent! Thanks!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

My only question is, how did you access it? Did you reach behind yourself and retrieve items by feel, or were you able to shift it to one side momentarily, or...?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

My only question is, how did you access it? Did you reach behind yourself and retrieve items by feel, or were you able to shift it to one side momentarily, or...?

Thank you! Yes, by touch is possible but its a lot easier with family in tow so they can do the loading. As a final option it can be unhooked from the belt for access (also fairly necessary when taking a comfort break  Roll Eyes). I kept the things I needed quick access to (money, compact camera, 'phone and tissues) in the little cylindrical bag hanging off my belt.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 09:48:54 pm »

We are on an excursion tomorrow, and I hit a bit of a quandary over shoes. At the point I started planning my outfit was far too hot to contemplate wearing boots (although the subsequent torrential rain this week has rather turned that around), but equally I didn't feel I had any suitable shoes as all the ones I possess are either an unsuitable style or too high a heel (after having the previous weekend at a 40s event with my heels sinking in the grass and tottering over cobbles, I've decide I'm at a stage in life where I need more sensible heels for walking around in!)

However, I did have these ankle boots, last worn many years ago:

They have some very sensible heels, but they've never been a favourite choice of mine because they are, well, a bit plain... So, time to steam them up a bit:

The cuff is held on with velcro so they can be exchanged for different ones to match the outfit (as you can probably surmise, the weekend's one had a black and white theme). They are made from material sewn onto cardboard. The little faux pearl buttons were just from the Works, and the little key charm from the Range and attached to the zip head by a jump ring.

Now we just need it to stop raining for a few hours...

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: