The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 07, 2019, 11:14:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to hitch a riding skirt ???  (Read 5330 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 03, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »

Ok - I have two long skirts suitable to be adapted as riding skirts. But the question is where do I hitch them?

One side? Both sides? Any ideas as to what with ? Does anyone have pictorial examples?

Many thanks.
Chamenas
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »

I might actually be curious about this too for my writing purposes.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:58:19 am »

For riding bicycles or horses? With bikes your main concern is going to be keeping the skirt out of the chain and sprockets. For horses I'm pretty sure they divided the skirts like a pair of culottes.

Kindest regards, Raven

Chamenas
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:25:28 am »

I thought most women rode side-saddle on horses at that time?
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:14 am »

I think my question had horses in mind but I don't intend wearing it riding - it's just the look I want. I think women did ride side saddle however if you look at what pictures I can find you just see women with full skirts. I suppose having a 'photo' done of it hitched wouldn't have been the thing to do. Hence trying to make an un-educated guess. Has no one on bg ever done / seen someone wearing a riding costume
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 10:08:34 am »

It depends on the woman in question and what she's riding for. If she's just walking the palfrey around the paddock then yeah, sidesaddle but if it's say, an expedition, and she has to actually ride any difference then divided skirts would have been much more suitable.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »

Well, I am not really going to get on a horse at all, just part of a costume. Does anyone have any photos of how a skirt might be hitched ? Particularly how the hitched side looks?
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »

It depends on the woman in question and what she's riding for. If she's just walking the palfrey around the paddock then yeah, sidesaddle but if it's say, an expedition, and she has to actually ride any difference then divided skirts would have been much more suitable.

A lady can ride side-saddle over jumps, too, you know.

That's a small pic, I know, but it comes from the Wikipedia article with a caption "Mrs. Esther Stace riding sidesaddle and clearing 6'6" at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, 1915, a feat made possible because of the leaping horn".

Here's a link to the whole article.

This Youtube video might also be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV_oYU5f-8o

--
Keith
Chamenas
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 05:27:32 pm »

Well, I am not really going to get on a horse at all, just part of a costume. Does anyone have any photos of how a skirt might be hitched ? Particularly how the hitched side looks?

Sadly, I must remain as curious for the answer as you.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:07:57 pm »

Hi thanks for the photo and the clip.

I think I may end up just having to create my own fashion as to where the skirt was hitched. Mine is a full skirt rather than an apron like the ladies in the clip are wearing.

I suppose it stands to reason that a lady would not be photographed with a skirt hitched but only on a horse. This may be the reason I can't seem to find the answer,

Chamenas
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:22:26 pm »

Let me know what you find!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »

If you're looking for a historical answer, the skirts of riding habits weren't hitched exactly. Obviously the ladies did need to walk around sometimes. So the extra length was carried in the left hand for mounting, or draped around the right side and held up by nifty little buttons on the right hip or lower back when walking.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »

I'm sure I can remember some old films where the lady rode a galloping horse sidesaddle.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:01 pm »

There's at least one contemporary film I can think of as well.

Angelina Jolie rides side saddle for Tomb Raider

It can be done, but notice they didn't make madam Jolie wear one of those skirts. Certain members of the equestrian set still do it now for re enacting and show purposes, but they wear special open backed aprons instead of full skirts. There's a very good reason for that...

How to Ride Side Saddle like a Victorian Lady
Chamenas
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »

Angelina Jolie rides side saddle for Tomb Raider

It can be done, but notice they didn't make madam Jolie wear one of those skirts. Certain members of the equestrian set still do it now for re enacting and show purposes, but they wear special open backed aprons instead of full skirts. There's a very good reason for that...

How to Ride Side Saddle like a Victorian Lady

Well yes, when riding at a gallop and shooting I imagine it would not be ideal to wear skirts or the like. However, a simple trot and such? I wouldn't know, of course, but that's always the impression I got from my less-than-impressive historical-imaginings.

Some interesting videos nonetheless.

The post on the little buttons was similarly enlightening, and potentially useful for my own knowledge in the story I'm writing.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 02:17:18 am »

That scene of Angelina Jolie's on the Freisian horse in 'Tomb Raider' is marvelous.   Not easy to do all that shooting and sidesaddle riding at the same time, but the best part is the sliding halt she comes to at the end!  Mary in Downton Abbey does some very dashing sidesaddle fence-jumping, too, with the Turkish Ambassador who leads her to ruin.  I think some sidesaddle habits had a kind of frame shaping them over the saddle on the right; very neatly draping the skirts, but if the lady fell off, the hoop sprang up to frame the special bloomers underneath.

I really want that cream-colored ensemble, especially the hat.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:54 am »

I showed sidesaddle for a number of years.

The button on the R side is for walking around - not riding.
Some skirts were designed longer in back than in front so skirt draped below the ladies' foot.
But walking around - the back would drag the ground - so they buttoned it to be level.

When riding - the skirt flows free.

I showed Sidesaddle - Hunter on the Flat and Sidesaddle Costume.

If you can find them - Harper's Bazarre has patterns and designs dating back circa 1900 some earlier.

*Relentless Optimystic *
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 12:01:05 am »

This one actually illustrates how the skirts work.

Description of Vintage English Sidesaddle & Riding Habit by Julie Size
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 04:14:58 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9YKXImdx5o

While American Saddlebred was and still is one of my top three favorites,
the breed I showed back in late '70's - early 80's was the Arabian and Half-Arabian sidesaddle.

Back then, the Morgan Horse also had sidesaddle classes in western and english.

I have been out of the arena for years, so had no idea it'd faded in popularity.

Costume was the most fun - was usually mideval in nature, but often more romanticized versions were popular.

this woman really knows her stuff. I was quite impressed.

(this was where I'd posted a repeat of the above video)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:21:52 am by barb dwyer » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
I took a break in finishing up my attire for next weekend's EuroSteamCon 2014 in Fuenlabrada to read up on riding skirts.
I bought two huge curtains which will give me the fabric to start experimenting on making a riding skirt, one suitable for camel riding, horse riding yet able to make a direct transition to any social occasion.
I found this article, which has a photograph of how the button or hitch was positioned.
http://dressedintime.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/hsf-2-innovation-side-saddle-safety.html

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 02:16:21 am »

My apologies for the double post!

Prof. Fairbass had obviously posted the same videos days before -
(*is* is Professor? How does one address an Immortal...)

somehow the links or videos didn't show up the first times I came through.

*blush*

I note I had some other difficulties -
for example,
it took several tries to change to an Autumnal Avatar
It positively refused until I disabled adblock.

Now, I return to see the video I'd posted already had been.

Please excuse the inconvenient redundancy!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:19:04 am by barb dwyer » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 06:20:26 am »

My apologies for the double post!

Prof. Fairbass had obviously posted the same videos days before -
(*is* is Professor? How does one address an Immortal...)

somehow the links or videos didn't show up the first times I came through.

*blush*

I note I had some other difficulties -
for example,
it took several tries to change to an Autumnal Avatar

It positively refused until I disabled adblock.

Now, I return to see the video I'd posted already had been.

Please excuse the inconvenient redundancy!

Actually Barb, I was the second person to post it in this thread and I didn't realise either.  Cheesy

As I can not take credit for having anywhere near the qualifications necessary to be a professor of anything , Argus will more than suffice. Just FYI (in case anyone still doesn't know) if you take the s out of https in the url, the video will show up in full unless the limit has been reached, which helps to make it a little more obvious what's been posted.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:28:44 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 07:22:59 am »

it worked!
Thank you, Argus!

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 02:37:27 am »

Somewhere in the archives I have an old tailor's manual from around the 1880s, I think.

Almost all of it is men's clothes, of course, but it includes patterns and instructions for a ladies' riding habit.

If I recall correctly (couldn't find the tome just now to confirm), the riding skirt is asymmetric, designed to drape beautifully on a horse sidesaddle but rather awkward to walk in, even buttoned up.

To make things even more awkward, the pattern includes women's trousers to be worn under the skirt.

The trousers are even more asymmetrical, with permanently bent legs, the right leg raised more and bent more to fit around the pommel of the saddle, where apparently women hooked one knee to stay on the horse.

The trouserslook like they would be terrifically binding if one actually tried to walk in the things.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 08:13:22 am »

*snip*

Well yes, when riding at a gallop and shooting I imagine it would not be ideal to wear skirts or the like.
*snip*

There might be more than a few ladies who will challenge you on that statement... They just don't speak English  Roll Eyes

Mexican Sidesaddle Competition Dress

I'm necromancing this thread for no other reason that during my Interenet searches I stumbled on Mexican Rodeo videos. It should be noted that the American Rodeo is in fact a derivative of the Mexican "Charreada." This was one of the very few threads dealing in sidesaddle riding, and I though it's be interesting to post this here...

The Mexican Charreada / American Rodeo is for all practical purposes a ranchhand competition where men skilled in the art of animal husbandry showcase their skill. Somewhat controversial for the handling of the animals (this applies to both American and Mexican versions), this is a form of contest that could be considered the New World version of Spanish Bullfighting.

It should be noted that the American "Cowboy" (a/k/a "Buckaroo" in the 19th. C parlance of the American Southwest) is also a direct derivative of the Mexican "Vaquero" ("Cow-herder"). Most of the sartorial elements of the American Cowboy, such as wide brim hat, saddle style and riding style, oversize spurs and lasso (rope) are in fact Spanish-Mexican items developed during Spanish colonial rule in the New Spain (Mexico), and some elements are older, going back to Spain altogether.

Of particular relevance to this thread, however, I discovered the "Escaramuza" ("Skirmish") competitions. The Escaramuza traditionally is a segment of the Charreada that is reserved for women only. Women practitioners of Escaramuza will wear long full skirts with crinoline and ride sidesaddle, performing feats of precision and acrobatic horse riding.

Often, training for the Escaramuza is done in special riding schools which start teaching children the equine arts from a very young age, as early as 7-9 years of age or even earlier. These schools will hold competitions with one another, in preparation for professional riding which is considered a national sport in that country.

Professional Escaramuza Competition "Villa de Oro Competition",
at Town of Tequisquiapan, State of Queretaro, Mexico

Escaramuza Villa Oro de Querétaro 3er Lugar Nacional

Girls' Escaramuza competition in Naucalpan County, State of Mexico (State surrounding Mexico City)

El Arte de la Escaramuza

Another professional competition - this shows precision handling of the horse. The video also shows different types of dresses
including a 2-piece female version of a Charro suit - the ranch hands' formal attire with a narrow skirt

CALADERO FEMENIL XX Millonario THV 2017

Homage to Victoria "Toyita" Zermeño, 5 time winner of National Escaramuza Championship

Homenaje a Toyita - Federación Mexicana de Charrería

Official Escaramuza rule book:
http://fmcharreria.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Reglamento-Oficial-Escaramuzas-Cat-Libre-y-Juvenil-FMCH-2018-2020.pdf

These people on Facebook make Escaramuza dresses:
https://www.facebook.com/vestidosdeescaramuzaisabel/

Cheers,

J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:33:46 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: