The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 05:42:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk robot vacuum cleaner (WIP)  (Read 4728 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »

So I was looking around for a new project, something that had not yet been done in a steampunk manner. This is not a small order by any means...

Then I came across an old post from circa 2007 here on BG, about making a steampunk Roomba robo-vac (which ultimately never ended up happening). This gave me an idea, and after an extensive Google search under various terms, I can safely say that a "Steampunk Roomba" is nowhere to be found. Excellent!

Sadly the price of a real Roomba is....well frankly hideous. So that isn't going to happen.

However, Thanks to some factory in China, I found this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's smaller than a Roomba, has much less powerfull vacuum, the intelligence is comparable to a box of really stupid rocks, has REALLY tacky red and blue flashing LED lights (WHY?) and has no roller brushes underneath to sweep up bits. But at less than £50, it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

We have a winner!  Grin

So a short time later I received my new robot vacuum cleaner. And to be honest, for the money, it's not bad! It's about as simple and lowcost as possible, but it still does a reasonable job at cleaning (on the specified hard floors or thin pile carpet). So it actually WORKS - BONUS!!  Grin

Currently it is stripped down, and the first parts have been painted.

Pictures of build to come soon.

[Server Prayer]
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »

With a bit of spit and polish that has all the hallmarks of a splendid thing.

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »

I shall be watching this with interest.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:47 pm »

Like to see what you come up with Mr Skumins.

I was going to post some inane comment about Noo Noo, but,.......We have serious virtual robot Vacuum wars to contend with here....

~SeVeN~

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »

robot Vacuum wars

OK, this absolutely HAS to happen! Where do we sign up?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:28 pm »

robot Vacuum wars

OK, this absolutely HAS to happen! Where do we sign up?

Obviously you lot have never heard of the DOOMBA...:

Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »

Is Professor Heinz Wolff still available for the TV presenter?

Robot wars meets dust devil, dyson duel extravaganza.

I'd watch it!  Grin

~SeVeN~

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »

Back to topic...  Wink

Here are the first pics:

The top lid is sprayed in brass, the outer ring is "gold" (actually more of a coppery colour) but very thin so the LEDs still show (required), the bumper is brass and the area behind it on the body is in "gold" / copper.
On the bumper, I have used a brush-on enamel metallic copper paint in the edges to simulate the areas that would be missed during polishing (brass tends to discolour with time to a copper colour)

The glossy black parts of the body are going to be sprayed with a textured paint, then oversprayed with several brown, orange and black colours to give an appearance of cast Iron. OR there is the possibility of using black wrinkle finish paint.

Now here I need opinions - do I age the robot to look like it's from the Victorian era, or keep it clean as if it is a recent item (keep in mind my house is steampunk / Victorian in style so it would not look out of place if bright and shiny)??
Either way I will be adding some degree of aging to give a more realistic effect - the brass and gold colours are very stark and flat, so will be made to look worn, like a device that is used often.

Lastly, I feel I require some sort of pattern or design on the large brass lid - any suggestions?

Once I have decided on the aged / new effects, then I will begin the rest of the conversion process - I've got some goodies for this...  Wink
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »

Dear Mr Skumins,
That is beautifully executed paint work - the beast is fully transformed from its lackluster origins, although I must say that on initially scrolling down to these pictures, I was concerned that I was viewing a captured Dalek scout...  Shocked More seriously, I very much look forward to seeing it in its full, finalised glory.

Yours,
Miranda.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:00:43 am by Miranda.T » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »

Great start.  It needs battle scars!

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »

Thanks for the comments!  Smiley

No further work yet, it's far too damp and humid to be spraying paint unfortunately. However I'm starting the bodywork modifications in just a minute, so some progress will be made.

I'm in two minds about adding a chimney stack, the problem being it would affect the ability to go under things like the sofa etc. Would look awesome though...  Undecided  I also thought about adding a large key winding mechanism, but same problem applies. Don't want to affect it's ability to actually do a usefull task (I have a cat, and it's very handy to keep the fur off the floor).

More to come soon.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 12:03:37 am »

a kraken holding brooms and dustpans would be a nice touch.
put the winding key or chimney on a piece of cable running though a steel washer and a ring magnet under the cover to hold it in place, if it's knocked loose, the cable will keep it from getting lost.

a dusty patina of an item that is ignored until it should actually break down, and even then get no more than a wipe and a pat on the head.

a good industrial green enamel with numerous paint chips exposing the brass and iron underneath. red or gold striping and some gold stenciled filigree possibly?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:04 am »

a dusty patina of an item that is ignored until it should actually break down, and even then get no more than a wipe and a pat on the head.

a good industrial green enamel with numerous paint chips exposing the brass and iron underneath. red or gold striping and some gold stenciled filigree possibly?

Oooh! That gives me a few ideas!  Smiley

I finally found a fine enough texture paint mix for the base coat, this will give it the slightly rough texture of cast Iron (new (vintage) cast Iron is polished smooth and shiny, but quickly forms surface rust, giving it a fine textured surface). However I'm now wondering about wrinkle finish paint with gold and red pinstriping. Hmmm... Undecided

Thanks a lot, damn you!  Cheesy
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 07:49:45 pm »

Time to dust off this old topic - I have recently been working on this long neglected project, and other than a few minor decorative flourishes I can call this one completed. Smiley

Will post pics up shortly (need to find a new image host)...

Started 2014, finished 2017.  That is pretty damn slow even for me!  Roll Eyes
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

Now I'm sad the old pictures are no longer visible

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 06:06:49 pm »

Now I'm sad the old pictures are no longer visible

Yes, I will get these updated soon - I have new ones to post that show the finished robot. Just need to decide what hosting service I am going to use.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 03:25:53 am »

Waaaaa....

I wanna see the pics.  Cry

Seriously, hope you can get 'em back up soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: