The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 05:40:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Kingdom For His Daughter's Birthday  (Read 735 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:09:14 am »

This The Kind Of Story Who Fit The Spirit Of Our Forum If Not Of Our Beloved Genre:
http://mic.com/articles/93504/this-little-girl-may-be-the-new-ruler-of-one-of-the-last-unclaimed-pieces-of-land-on-earth?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:52:05 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:30:02 am »

Wow.   I never even got that pony I wanted.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:27 pm »

They may have to give up their US citizenship due to the question of 'can royalty be citizens of a republic? Or does the fact he's fled his kingdom mean he's abdicated?

Many years ago someone did something similar in Britain and created the 'independent principality of Sealand' on an abandoned WW2 fort which was outside the 3 mile territorial limit. Except he lived there and made it economically viable, fought off an invasion from someone who tried to take it from him and so on.

Last I heard it was being used as a 'secure data storage facility' for firms trading in London because it couldn't be hacked either through the phone lines or electricity supply.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »

They may have to give up their US citizenship due to the question of 'can royalty be citizens of a republic?
The US government isn't supposed to grant titles of nobility.  There is a catch regarding foreign titles and public office.  And persons being naturalized as US citizens renounce foreign allegiance.  But I don't see those applying in this case.

Whether neighboring nations recognize the claim or invasions can be repelled seems more the issue.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »

Actually, it's *his* daughter, and she's not the ruler - it is a Kingdom, not a Principality.

I think he'll be left alone by the various states of the world, simply because if Egypt or Sudan got involved, they'd be acknowledging a claim over it, and if the US was to remove their citizenship due to foreign allegiance (though I don't think they actually do that, it's possible to be a dual citizen), they'd be recognising the Kingdom. Countries could recognise it's independence, but they'd have to word it properly to avoid stating who it is independent from...

That won't stop non state actors such as warlords, however. I recommend that he builds his castle on the northern mountain, facing Sudan since it's the most likely place for a threat to emerge from. Connect it to an airstrip at the foot with a light mountain rail system. He might be able to grow to a few thousand people before people really take notice...

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:03 pm »

He would have been better off, going for Marie Byrd Land, much more space and snow, and not claimed.

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:16 pm »

Although, if all goes to plan, I will as representative of Australia and New Zealand, claim it as part of our claims.

Marie Byrd Land is the white area on the map
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »

I've seen borders that are straight lines, but Antarctica is the only place with triangular subdivisions. 'cause they're like, so cool I guess.

Bir Tawil was also unclaimed.

I think that he'll probably get to the same level as Sealand and Hutt River, maybe using his castle as a holiday home with a caretaker through the year, but he might be able to build a town.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:40 pm »

Actually, it's *his* daughter

Oupsy.

Typo Corrected
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: