The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 10:30:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Tinker Gearcoins  (Read 4941 times)
TishToshTesh
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 11, 2014, 11:35:50 pm »

We've done a few Kickstarter campaigns before now, and frankly... it's the creative part that I like most.  Sure, I want to get my goodies out to as many people as may be interested, and an artist always likes to see his/her work appreciated, but this whole promotional angle always seems like finding ways to not be annoying while still begging for attention.  I'm just not very good at it, maybe because I'm the guy that puts up the "No Soliciting" sign on my door, and just has no patience for artifice.

...I know, not much of a sales pitch.  That's OK, I'm no salesman, I'm just an artist who makes cool stuff and wants to get it out into the world.  To that end, I've designed some of what I call "Tinker Gearcoins", some coins that can be used in tabletop games, LARPing, decoration, puzzles, all sorts of things.  We've produced metal goods before, and there's just something fun in making durable bits of art.

We'd love to get them out to anyone interested in them.  Here are the prototypes in all their metallic glory, over on Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/khopesh/tinker-gearcoin-prototypes/

The campaign to get them mass produced is live on Kickstarter as of this morning, found over here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tishtoshtesh/tinker-gearcoins-steampunk-game-coins

If you're interested, we'd love to have you on board!  If you just want to know who we're working with if you want to make some of your own, we can tell you what we've dealt with as far as production goes.  It's a funny world, bringing a product into reality.  Sometimes I just wish I had a blacksmith's shop that I could tinker in and do my own thing.  If I could experiment around all day in a workshop, selling bits of mad science here and there to pay the bills... man, that would be fantastic.

Until I get that fired up, I have to outsource some of the process.  So it goes these days, right?

Thanks for your time and attention!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:37:14 am »

I know absolutely nothing about gaming-there is a reason for the pinning?
They would be much nicer without holes.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
TishToshTesh
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:09:21 am »

The holes are there so that they can function as gears, being pinned to something they can pivot from.  It's an unusual design, it's true, but there's reason to it.  We figured that if they are going to be gears, they may as well function as gears as well as possible.

The Kickstarter video demonstrates one layout with them turning each other.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:49:55 pm »

Sorry, my Pad wouldn't show all.

Maybe the 'hole' design should be rethought. Perhaps, make a collar for the holes so they don't seem as an after thought.
?
TishToshTesh
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:45:29 am »

Believe it or not, my initial designs did have a collar.  I was rather excited to use them at the outset.  I had a subtle design built into them to signify the value of the coins.  That was too bulky, so I trimmed it back to just a simple collar.  Even that was just a bit too much, though.  It was just too distracting, even though it probably lent the hole strength.  So... yes, that is one possible design solution.  It's not a bad one, but after going back and forth on it, I decided to remove the collars.
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:49 pm »

Why don't you forget the holes but leave an indentation where we can drill one if we decide to use them as gears rather than coins?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: