The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:32:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non Brown Steampunk Costume  (Read 6312 times)
OArmitage
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

non volunt, et invicta est, gradus in lucem

« on: June 26, 2014, 12:07:20 pm »

Hi everyone first post from a long term Lurker
I'm attempting to do a costume for a Comicon trip with friends we are all "steampunking" it up but I've hit a brick wall on my creativity. I'm attempting to do a military uniform theme centred around WW1 style (is that still steampunk?) my base image are these Austrian cavalry:

so far ive come up with Anglicising a little with the addition of a British style Pith Helmet :

I've got a red military braid style jacket and am in the process of making a prosthetic arm:

the arm is going through a remake right now to make it look more realistic and to add some more details  like tubing running to a "power pack" on my back which would most likely double as my rucksack for carrying stuff.  I'm thinking of adding blue style trousers sewing a red ribbons down the seam much like military uniforms from the 19th century. possible other additions im thinking a sam brown style pistol belt and posisbly buying a cheap wall hanger blunt sabre. does anyone have suggestions   

sorry for the potato Quality of the images my phone is slowly dying.
TL : DR need help and suggestions on a military style Steampunk costume

thanks

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:53:56 pm »

I can't credit everybody, simply because I don't know who everybody is. If anyone does, feel free to let us know. Either click on the pictures, or right click and choose view image for more detail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
OArmitage
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »

I can't credit everybody, simply because I don't know who everybody is. If anyone does, feel free to let us know. Either click on the pictures, or right click and choose view image for more detail.

thanks I always did think that guy looked like a bit of a tool I've got some idea from there a post somewhere else told me to distress it a little make it look like its been through combat  I think i can take some ideas from those images
thanks
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »

I have been working on such for quite a while now.  There are certain things you might watch out for - such as with the hussar-style jacket you have there - very nice, btw - make sure you don't end up with the circus ringmaster look. 

There are quite a few reproduction militaria dealers around - one of the best used to be in the UK... still has a site, can't vouch for current quality http://www.sutlers.co.uk/

Best of luck, and if there is anything we can help you with...

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »

There are quite a few reproduction militaria dealers around - one of the best used to be in the UK... still has a site, can't vouch for current quality http://www.sutlers.co.uk/

*Cough*

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29960.0

*cough*

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:56 pm »

Obviously photoshopped, but actually a really cool idea for a pith helmet neck cover that I haven't seen anyone use yet.

Isn't that Darth Vader disguised as the Russian Orthodox Metropolitan of Moscow?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:21:40 pm »

Obviously photoshopped, but actually a really cool idea for a pith helmet neck cover that I haven't seen anyone use yet.

Isn't that Darth Vader disguised as the Russian Orthodox Metropolitan of Moscow?

Something like that. It's obviously a religious uniform of some kind, but I like the head gear.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:52 am »

I have been working on such for quite a while now.  There are certain things you might watch out for - such as with the hussar-style jacket you have there - very nice, btw - make sure you don't end up with the circus ringmaster look. 

Best of luck, and if there is anything we can help you with...

Cheers!

Chas.

Try and avoid the hired costume look as well, because unfortunately it's out there.

This is why it's an idea to try and throw in new things and innovate. Anything that can be pinned down easily can also be commodified easily. Gotta stay one step ahead and keep 'em guessing!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:55:43 am »

keep your eye out for the "right " Sam Brown and other accessories. Don't grab the 1st ones you see.  Choose carefully and individualise your uniform.

still giggling over the idea of a fake fake arm  but I will get over it. The examples shown do actually look quite effective.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:17:27 am »

perhaps instead of a prosthetic arm, it's more of a cybernetic affair? leave some "skin" showing but make it a gruesome scarred mess. I have accidentally ruined vinyl material with a torch (always look where you point a torch, duh) and it puckered and got sort of sinewy wrinkles to it. maybe start with some light tan scraps and see. you could paint the burns and discolored flesh onto it.
add a small bottle with a tiny pump affair to it and label it whimsically, like "professor Mulagrew's magical teat balm and burn paste" make a big fat fake needle entering the burnt skin like its pumping it inside the arm, possibly multiple needles to make it even more morbid. carriage bolt heads and wing nuts on opposite sides of the arm so it looks like its bolted through the arm instead of around it. now if you could rig up your index finger so it doubles as a cigarette lighter, you would have them all beat!
OArmitage
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:25 pm »

thanks all for the help it pt some ideas in my head right now I'm currently unemployed as I've just finished uni so this project is very much on the back burner will try and do some updates when i get a job and my first paycheck

but thank you for the warm welcome to the community
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 10:31:36 pm »

Cheers!

Chas.
Hey! What's wrong with the ringmaster look!?!
 Wink

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »

I have been working on such for quite a while now.  There are certain things you might watch out for - such as with the hussar-style jacket you have there - very nice, btw - make sure you don't end up with the circus ringmaster look.  

Cheers!

Chas.
Hey! What's wrong with the ringmaster look!?!
 Wink

I am in accordance jringling  Angry Cheesy

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: