The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2021, 03:05:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Come inside and witness the terror of the beast that is half bear half hyaena!  (Read 1648 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« on: June 25, 2014, 09:21:26 pm »

In the latest issue of Fortean Times, there is an article on the cryptid known as the Nandi bear. They talk about a creature that was exhibited in Mander's Royal Menagerie, which might have been a living specimen of Nandi bear. Due to people here having an interest in the victorian age, I figured some might also have information on the travelling shows back then. The show travelled around in the mid 19th century it seems, and the beast in question was called an Indian Prairie Fiend. They were described as having a head like a hippopotamus, body like a bear, claws like a tiger and ears like a horse. Has anyone come across any mention or drawings of such a beast?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05:19 pm »

I have read of the Nandi Bear, but never seen a picture or drawing.  I thought that it was a fictional animal.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:44:49 pm »

I just felt like resurrecting this thread, to see if anyone heard of it.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:19:42 am »

This cryptid has a Wikipedia page, for what that's worth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandi_Bear

Some artists' interpretations:

http://www.enchantedlandscapes.com/blog/beast-call-nandi-bear-exist/

http://cryptidz.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hyena_bear_nandi_bear_or_agriotherium_by_hodarinundu-d6vegnd.jpg

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:46:37 am »

looks like a hyena to me

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:50:54 am »

Yup; one of the "best guesses" for what this thing might be, if it exists (or ever did) is a hyena-like predecessor of the modern animal. One of those ancestral animals looks like a cross between a hyena and a giraffe.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »

Or, perhaps a lowyaena? Wink

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

Or, perhaps a lowyaena? Wink

Comic Rimshot!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:35 pm »

Here's that giraffe/hyena looking thing (which is actually more closely related to the horse; go figure!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChalicotheriumDB1.jpg

Chalicothere went extinct (unless it's the Nandi Bear!) circa 3.5 million years ago, during the Late Pliocene.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:13:26 am »

In the latest issue of Fortean Times, there is an article on the cryptid known as the Nandi bear. They talk about a creature that was exhibited in Mander's Royal Menagerie, which might have been a living specimen of Nandi bear. Due to people here having an interest in the victorian age, I figured some might also have information on the travelling shows back then. The show travelled around in the mid 19th century it seems, and the beast in question was called an Indian Prairie Fiend. They were described as having a head like a hippopotamus, body like a bear, claws like a tiger and ears like a horse. Has anyone come across any mention or drawings of such a beast?

Mander's Royal Menagerie?  That wasn't Her Majesty Sallie Mander, by any chance?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:11 am »

Mander's Royal Menagerie?  That wasn't Her Majesty Sallie Mander, by any chance?

Let us not forget her politically-inclined cousin. Yes, I refer to the famous Gerry Mander
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:51:35 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: