The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 05:51:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those Pitti Uomo dudes are at it again.  (Read 10081 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 11:31:30 am »

Lol, you gals can be cruel. That is the problem with fashionistas though, those folks only care about what's currently in vogue rather than stopping to think if it actually suits them.

I follow Mr Parisian Gentleman on FB, he does know his stuff when it comes to tailoring I must say. Of course I do sometimes wonder, if while taking such great care with the cut of his clothes, why he doesn't consider doing the same for his hair. Don't get me wrong, mine's currently five times longer than that, but I've never set myself up a a style guru, and I'm not sure this Karl Lagerfeld thing's working out for him (anymore than it is for Lagerfeld)

I've been harping on about wanting a pair of those button up boots for years. The only vaguely affordable pair I've encountered so far, have fake buttons and a zip up the side (which I consider such an abomination I can barely bring myself to speak of them). So yes it's one of those things I'm hoping might catch on if only briefly, so we can get some affordable high street versions. Call me a pleb if you wish, but all the others are custom bespoke jobs, and lovely though that is, even if I had a few grand to spare I wouldn't spend it on shoes.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:17 pm »

Lol, you gals can be cruel. That is the problem with fashionistas though, those folks only care about what's currently in vogue rather than stopping to think if it actually suits them.

I follow Mr Parisian Gentleman on FB, he does know his stuff when it comes to tailoring I must say. Of course I do sometimes wonder, if while taking such great care with the cut of his clothes, why he doesn't consider doing the same for his hair. Don't get me wrong, mine's currently five times longer than that, but I've never set myself up a a style guru, and I'm not sure this Karl Lagerfeld thing's working out for him (anymore than it is for Lagerfeld)

I've been harping on about wanting a pair of those button up boots for years. The only vaguely affordable pair I've encountered so far, have fake buttons and a zip up the side (which I consider such an abomination I can barely bring myself to speak of them). So yes it's one of those things I'm hoping might catch on if only briefly, so we can get some affordable high street versions. Call me a pleb if you wish, but all the others are custom bespoke jobs, and lovely though that is, even if I had a few grand to spare I wouldn't spend it on shoes.

True fashion is timeless. There will always be classic pieces. Keep your eye out for the sales and you will eventually find just the right pair.
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 10:03:21 pm »

Argus you have struck the nail squarely on the head. Easy fit boots are indeed an abomination. Zips up the side indeed, shudder!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:45 am »

My biggest problem with so many of the suits pictured is that they look too small for the wearer.  I love the dandy look, but buy the right size!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »

I have a pair of old skating boots that I have had the skates taken off.  They are perfect, an old-fashioned yellow in colour with long laces all the way up the front.  And it takes me ages to get dressed in them. 

It is definitely necessary to put one's boots on before one's corset.  If they (the boots) come undone when one is perambulating one just has to have a gentleman around to bend down to do them back up again.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 11:44:56 pm »

I have a pair of old skating boots that I have had the skates taken off.  They are perfect, an old-fashioned yellow in colour with long laces all the way up the front.  And it takes me ages to get dressed in them. 

It is definitely necessary to put one's boots on before one's corset.  If they (the boots) come undone when one is perambulating one just has to have a gentleman around to bend down to do them back up again.

I shall have to remember that trick Miss Frances- and the one about putting a corset on 1st.
Burgess Shale
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:45 pm »

I wish someone would start a fashion like this:

Well, Argus, are you up for it?

I'd wear a jacket and vest out of that fabric in a heartbeat, or several heartbeats, depending on how quickly I could find the armscyes with my hands.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 05:42:36 am »

My Good Netizens -

I cannot stop myself - I must express my candid displeasure with the Pitiful Dumo fellows.
I mean come on, otherwise classy duds that are ruined by wearing them tight, puckered, and too short at the wrist and ankle?

Heavens, the poor sods literally look like they either raided their smaller little brother's closet for nefarious purposes
or are participating in that absurd delusional game: " look at what I found from when I was 15 and it still fits!"

and beachwreck rags?

my word the faux pas are just too overwhelming for words... These fellows give "fashionable mens wear" a kick in the grenables...

i remain, in sadness
prof (sad) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:03 am »

A really mean person might say that they look a tad peter pan , rough trade lost boys  in   ill fitted clothing  - but I might l let you buy me some better duds - sort of fellows
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »

Not a tragedy, but I love your phrase "Pittiful Uomo"  Grin I'm still trying to figure out why Mr. Wooster in the previous pages looks like he's wearing a coat made from a quilt (a bit of Americana culture?) and apparently forgot to wear his pants.  Also I think he borrowed his wife's purse!

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »

I wondered how they'd cope in the heat this year. It sounds like textile manufacturers are evolving the design of natural light weight summer fabrics, which is great to hear. All the preening of Pitti Peacocks aside for a moment (and you've gotta love all those accents), it's good to know some useful practical advancements are coming out of all this as well. And hello everybody, I know I haven't been around much lately but I trust you are all well.  Smiley

~
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »

Indeed Mr. Fairbrass, you have been absent for some time!  Report on the double to the Off-Topic section/Question for the mature listener thread and use you musical knowledge!

Now, I have a question on the subject of this thread.  Are the Pitti Uomo, responsible for the recent change in collar styles for men's button-down shirts?  I see it everywhere now. The angle of the collar flaps is now "negative." Like No. 5 and No. 6 below:

http://www.hejda.com.au/bespoke-shirts/styles/collars.php

All shirts make you look like you have a fat neck, or the collar is three sizes too small  Angry  On the other hand the shirts are brighter and far more elaborate, with hidden bright Paisley cuffs and interior collars/  The shirts are now as decorated on the inside as they are on the outside, which I haven't seen before.

Linen has made a big comeback this year, as I see it at my work place.  Even linen pants for men are a popular item now.  Ironically this is turning out to be a relatively cool Summer.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:30:00 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 02:21:48 am »

Linen has made a big comeback this year, as I see it at my work place.  Even linen pants for men are a popular item now.  Ironically this is turning out to be a relatively cool Summer.

Ah but that is because the Pittiful Dumbass fellows are from Europe, and Northern Europe is experiencing a psychotic and unprecedented heat wave, the like of which they have never before seen ( but isn't that the definition of unprecedented ) .

yhs
prof marvel
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2015, 01:31:29 pm »

There is a lot to get through in this thread isn't there? It is a joy to see that the universal item that attempts (sometimes successfully and sometimes not) to pull most of these looks together is a good tight waist coat.

For my money the person who invented this item probably shot themselves a day later when they realised they would never surpass the achievement of it's invention.

A good waistcoat gives line to the body and can rein in the most unruly of shirts. They are also practical with at least 2 hard wearing pockets (although 4 doesn't look remiss when worn by an ardent tinkerer.) They are also a god send in a cold snap.

One can never own too many although it is advisable to have a good selection and for the love of god make sure you have a good fit from the chest to the waist (unless you like looking like a sail, or like your wearing your age paunched fathers old hand me downs). I'm currently adjusting several at the moment.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2015, 02:14:36 am »

Those collars are horrible.  They look as if the  men are schoolboys who have grown out of their shirts, and the jackets look too small in the shoulders (sloping shoulders too tight under the arms) and the cutaway fronts cause the buttons to look as if they are straining to close.  This fellow looks good despite his collar, though this would be too much hat for most guys!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:16:35 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2015, 08:22:03 am »

The first thought is that the collars fail to cover the tie properly.  Only a bow tie or cravat, 20th C ties are meant to hide behind the collar, save for the know.  Failed design, IMHO.  The tie would have to change it's nature.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »

Those collars are horrible.  They look as if the  men are schoolboys who have grown out of their shirts, and the jackets look too small in the shoulders (sloping shoulders too tight under the arms) and the cutaway fronts cause the buttons to look as if they are straining to close.

The first thought is that the collars fail to cover the tie properly.  Only a bow tie or cravat, 20th C ties are meant to hide behind the collar, save for the know.  Failed design, IMHO.  The tie would have to change it's nature.

And that is my entire point - the apparel design appears to be a Deliberate Fail - and the why escapes me!

Extravagantly Priced Poor Fit as a fashion statement? 

I reject their reality and substitute my own!

yhs
prof marvel
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 09:59:28 am »

Yeah I'm not a big fan of those particularly wide spread collars either. Then again there's quite a few vintage collars I'm not a fan of, and they are a legitimate old school style. I have noticed a few of these guys appear to have narrow sloping shoulders, and these closely fitting unconstructed jackets with minimum of shoulder padding do rather highlight that. I'm not actually a huge fan of overly wide shoulders either, (kinda got cured of all that in the eighties) but obviously in a tailoring sense these details can be used to compensate, which once upon a time is what tailors used to attempt to do. In these circles there's been much discussion lately about the position of the armholes (and something else the name of which escapes me) on a coat or jacket. Essentially a detail which if supposedly done right, allows you to do this without your jacket riding up.

All well and good, but knowing these chaps they're going to take it to extremes, so expect more narrow sloping shoulders coupled with high armholed jackets in the future.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:51 pm »

Too funny.

The Life Of Pitti Peacocks - Pitti Uomo Mockumentary on Vimeo
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:31 am »

The mockumentary is somewhat removed from reality.  I doubt the  parading of these peacocks is to find a mate. It appears to be a "boys only"club. No girls allowed
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:28 am »

Still very funny though...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2016, 05:05:33 pm »

It was. And one does get the impression that these chaps in their bold outfits do not take themselves too seriously  themselves
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: