The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:34:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any sewing pattern for this uniform?  (Read 3608 times)
Metal Cavalry
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 23, 2014, 07:52:46 am »

Greetings from the States. I would like to produce a uniform similar to what my great great grandfather wore during the first days of the Chinese republic. No repros. I'm a little short on cash and there is absolutely no reproductions available on uniforms like these. So I'll make them with my sweat and blood. I can find a way for the equipment. The basics(shirt, pants, peaked cap, and gaiters) that's my bread and butter. Here's a photo of what my grandfather would of worn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." -Bob Marley
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Send information to D. Oakes (Danny Oakes) who is on this forum.  He can make these items at a reasonable price, or perhaps help you find information on making them yourself.  He has an etsy shop called Brass Kepi.  Contact him for information.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:30:02 pm »

The ammunition pouches look like the early style for the Russian Mosin Nagant.  The problem items would be the belt buckle, buttons, & any insignia.  Try ebay for those.  Best of luck.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:40 pm »

I see that you are in the U. S.- may I ask where?  Danny is in Pennsylvania.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »

At a glance  that is a Nehru or Kurta   shirt/ jacket  & pajama or  jodhpuri  pants,  the characterising features being the Mandarin collar  and loose pants. This style of dress is still common in the broader population of Asiatic men.  Try the Middle Eastern, Indian , Vietnamese, Korean  or Chinese  etc shopping precincts

The uniform may be in the Safari Style Nehru suit.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:37:47 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Metal Cavalry
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:03 am »

I see that you are in the U. S.- may I ask where?  Danny is in Pennsylvania.
I live in Hawaii and I really don't want to spend any cash. My parents won't allow me to have a job til I'm 18.
Metal Cavalry
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:23:36 am »

At a glance  that is a Nehru or Kurta   shirt/ jacket  & pajama or  jodhpuri  pants,  the characterising features being the Mandarin collar  and loose pants. This style of dress is still common in the broader population of Asiatic men.  Try the Middle Eastern, Indian , Vietnamese, Korean  or Chinese  etc shopping precincts

Wonderful! Is there a sewing pattern for this type of suit?

The uniform may be in the Safari Style Nehru suit.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:18 pm »

There will be an army of patterns for  that type of suit.  Check the internet for current  and vintage patterns and any good sewer can whip you one up for a modest price. You may be able to pickup pieces of clothing  to make up a uniform quite cheaply in the right ethnic  shops
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:00 am »

The shirt/jacket looks like a slipover with a very deep neck.  Note that there is no overlap, no seams, no buttons below the waist.  Looks like a modified Russian M43 gymnastyorka pattern (deeper placket[neck opening] & different cuffs & pockets) might work.  Again, Danny Oakes would be able to help here.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:50 am »

*magically appears*

Typical jackets of the 19th century and even into the 20th can be easily patterned using such things as a Civil War shell jacket pattern.  These can be found for free online, but you need to know how to size yourself for them.  I believe these uniforms featured a 2-piece back, and were quite "square" in shape, so take your widest body measurement and that will be used throughout the whole jacket.  That said they are SHORT!!!!!!  Look where the belt is, typically in proper dress order a military equipment belt, especially of this era is worn above your belly button, sometimes just below the ribs.  (the belt can easily be replicated by finding a plain plate buckled belt at a surplus store or thrift store)  To get the look you want for the jacket you will either need to make it or find a jacket tailor made for somebody shorter than you, but with the same chest size.  The pockets are simple patch pockets with flaps. 

The trousers- a lot of Asian countries went VERY simple on trousers.  These are not breaches, they are quite basic loose fitting trousers.  Find a pair of scrub pants and dye them and it should give you the same look.  (you can find these VERY cheap at thrift stores or if you can find pajama style pants of a similar color)  

The cap is the hardest part.  From Germany, to Bulgaria, to Russia, this style of visor cap is very particular.  It tended to have a higher band than most modern examples and a non-peaked round crown.  The visors were either made from a cloth/paper composite or leather.  I do not know what your skills are, but finding a proper cap to mod for a good price would be next to impossible.  It is something you will have to pattern and make yourself.  (Price to have one made-$30-$100's depending who you talk to)

The gaiters are fairly easy to make and there are many patterns online. 

I agree with Howard on the pouches.  They are "box" pouches of the sort used with the early 1871 Mauser, M1891 Mosin Nagant, and others.   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:34:43 am by D.Oakes » Logged

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Metal Cavalry
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:13:15 am »

*magically appears*

Typical jackets of the 19th century and even into the 20th can be easily patterned using such things as a Civil War shell jacket pattern.  These can be found for free online, but you need to know how to size yourself for them.  I believe these uniforms featured a 2-piece back, and were quite "square" in shape, so take your widest body measurement and that will be used throughout the whole jacket.  That said they are SHORT!!!!!!  Look where the belt is, typically in proper dress order a military equipment belt, especially of this era is worn above your belly button, sometimes just below the ribs.  (the belt can easily be replicated by finding a plain plate buckled belt at a surplus store or thrift store)  To get the look you want for the jacket you will either need to make it or find a jacket tailor made for somebody shorter than you, but with the same chest size.  The pockets are simple patch pockets with flaps. 

The trousers- a lot of Asian countries went VERY simple on trousers.  These are not breaches, they are quite basic loose fitting trousers.  Find a pair of scrub pants and dye them and it should give you the same look.  (you can find these VERY cheap at thrift stores or if you can find pajama style pants of a similar color)  

The cap is the hardest part.  From Germany, to Bulgaria, to Russia, this style of visor cap is very particular.  It tended to have a higher band than most modern examples and a non-peaked round crown.  The visors were either made from a cloth/paper composite or leather.  I do not know what your skills are, but finding a proper cap to mod for a good price would be next to impossible.  It is something you will have to pattern and make yourself.  (Price to have one made-$30-$100's depending who you talk to)

I agree with Howard on the pouches.  They are "box" pouches of the sort used with the early 1871 Mauser, M1891 Mosin Nagant, and others.   

Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the help.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 11:02:18 am »

*magically appears*

Typical jackets of the 19th century and even into the 20th can be easily patterned using such things as a Civil War shell jacket pattern.  These can be found for free online, but you need to know how to size yourself for them.  I believe these uniforms featured a 2-piece back, and were quite "square" in shape, so take your widest body measurement and that will be used throughout the whole jacket.  That said they are SHORT!!!!!!  Look where the belt is, typically in proper dress order a military equipment belt, especially of this era is worn above your belly button, sometimes just below the ribs.  (the belt can easily be replicated by finding a plain plate buckled belt at a surplus store or thrift store)  To get the look you want for the jacket you will either need to make it or find a jacket tailor made for somebody shorter than you, but with the same chest size.  The pockets are simple patch pockets with flaps.  

I agree with Howard on the pouches.  They are "box" pouches of the sort used with the early 1871 Mauser, M1891 Mosin Nagant, and others.  

Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the help.

No problem, if you need anymore help feel free to message me on here or on www.facebook.com/brasskepi.  I do not get on brassgoggles enough anymore with a part-time job, BrassKepi, and my family.  

That said, this era/uniform interests me.  With my Russian Civil War stuff there were several Chinese and Mongolian Communist units who participated in the European side of the Russian Revolution/Civil War, but wearing their national uniforms.  I will see if I can track down one of my books that has the photos.  If I remember correctly it is the same uniform minus the pockets.  (ca. 1917-1920)

If you want close ups of "Czarist" Mosin Nagant pouches to copy, I have a top of the line repro one I will gladly photograph for you.  Nearly all of the parts are available from Tandy leather. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:04:21 am by D.Oakes » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »

Yes, Danny can be QUITE helpful for this period...
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:21 am »

if you look closely, you can see a red piping going up the leg and crossing his body a bit, mainly because the pants are HUGE on him. the front seems to be pinched and overlapped about 8 inches.

you want baqgy, but his pants are just really poorly fit to him.  the jacket is poorly fitting but it too should be loosely fitting, since it is a pullover style

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-pc-new-british-military-surplus-dress-uniform-with-bag?a=1545262

35 bucks and only in xl, sounds like they run tight for xl, more like large/tall! modify the jacket and put the piping on both the pants and jacket. adding the gaiters will totally change the pants and just shortening the jacket and removing a few extraneous bits (belt and epaulets) will work wonders. washing both items before anything else would loosen it all up and shrink it and shrivel it too. might need a few washes to soften the color, but be careful it doesn't fall apart.

save the jacket cutoffs and any pants cutoffs to do the hat. buying a surplus cap in an army/navy store and making a slip cover for it might be the easiest. just remove any interior wire in the crown and replace it with a heavy cardboard ring or flat, just make it smaller diameter and hold the extra cloth under by adding a drawstring to the seam at the edge of the present crown. an old marines cap would be the right color already, just make a band to wrap around the headband area.

I modified an Italian marines cap by removing the wire and sewing the underside of the crown where it meets the headband section so that it's about half an inch taller on the sides and the crown is floppier. I put a white beret cap over the crown and it looks a lot older now
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »

Greetings from the States. I would like to produce a uniform similar to what my great great grandfather wore during the first days of the Chinese republic. No repros. I'm a little short on cash and there is absolutely no reproductions available on uniforms like these. So I'll make them with my sweat and blood. I can find a way for the equipment. The basics(shirt, pants, peaked cap, and gaiters) that's my bread and butter. Here's a photo of what my grandfather would of worn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To me this looks like a very ill fitting "undress blouse."  That's the military technical term: undress = daily wear, not for special occasions; you will have undress blouses (shirt) and frock coats around the turn of the century for military purposes in many armies, like US (Spanish American War, 1898), as well as the Japanese.  The uniforms were being "modernised" to the type of military uniforms we know today, and the copncept of fatigues was being born at that moment

Look at this excellent website. not for purchasing anything, just getting familiar with the styles and terms:
http://www.ushist.com/spanish-american-war_uniforms_us_saw_f.shtml

Also for everyone else, this website is an insanely good source for anything `19th Century by way of civil dress for men women and children as well as period military uniforms in North America.

When I have money, I shall get myself a proper military uniform for my alter ego, Admiral Wilhelm:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: