The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 02:59:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRINKLES, or Hints to Sportsmen  (Read 700 times)
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:44 am »

My Dear Fellows,
You may enjoy this free PDF by "The Old Shekarry" - a traveller and big-game hunter in late Victorian times who seems to have been impecunious, perhaps a younger son, and who therefore adopted a lifestyle which took him to the wilds. The interesting thing about this book is that he must have been a real trial to the hunters' outfitters, because he kept inventing bizarre equipment which they had to make for him. A case in point is the Poncho which could also be used as a tent and an inflatable raft:
Those were the days!
http://books.google.com/books/about/Wrinkles_or_Hints_to_sportsmen_and_trave.html?id=N0UCAAAAQAAJ
Just the thing for a present to one's great-nephew. . . .
Camellia
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:18:46 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: