The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:22:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk in summer  (Read 1266 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 13, 2014, 01:04:44 am »

Ok - a holiday away and back to England on a beautiful sunny day and I am thinking about my steampunk summer wardrobe - non existent.

What should be in it which is everyday  practical. Hats are good - corsets are not my style, but a half finished pair of bloomers and that is all I have.

I can see the need for a hitched skirt to add to the bloomers - I
Am am athlete so much prefer bare exposed legs, at least knee down (not terribly Victorian I know !) but I really struggle with what to put on my top half. (Ironically where as I much prefer bare legs, I don't do skimpy exposed tops)

So which creative one of you can give me some suggestion
S from that muddle!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:30 am »

I understand the feeling. In summer I revert to wearing t-shirts/tank-tops and shorts, and winter means so much rain that steampunk wear doesn't feel that practical. Of course if it's kaki shorts with some appropriate steampunk accessories, one could probably pull off the expedition look. 

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »

A few ideas have been kicked around the ballpark.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28833.0

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:17:42 am »

I suggest trying the Turkish Harem Silk genre of summerwear- it is all the rage in various manga, but I fear I do not have the good legs to pull it off, and combined with the mustache and beard it will oft' frighten the children and horses...

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 12:32:28 am »

Something like this is great!

http://www.clockworkcouture.com/steampunk/spring-punk/wind-at-your-back-summer-dress.html

Unfortunately this particular one is sold out. I'm sure you could find similar dresses at a good farmers market.

A clockwork heart can't replace the real thing.
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:15 am »

The above-link makes me realize I just donated a very similar dress to our local Goodwill shop not too long ago. Because I couldn't see myself ever wearing it. *facepalm*

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:41:27 am »

I was just browsing Target's website and came across these lovely boots! How perfect for spring/summer!!

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-mossimo-supply-co-kessi-crochet-boots-taupe/-/A-14915093#prodSlot=medium_1_42

steamgirl88
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 05:36:29 am »

Those are great! I also was thinking that some cut out boots like this might work too. Maybe not these exact ones but at least they're a bit lighter and wouldn't boil your feet?

https://www.sacha.nl/shop/damesschoenen/enkellaarsjes/cut-out-boots-by-sacha/3x0765/

I also have a pair of these, which I wear in the summer. Very light and comfortable (mine are the ones with the upper lace detail if that makes sense?).

http://bunker.es/es/49-botas-y-botines
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:28 am »

A white / cream blouse with a brown waistcoat and belt should work quite well for the top half. Loose fitting to allow you freedom of movement so it's practical for everyday wear.

Accessorize to suit.

MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 01:06:06 pm »

Oh yes - I found the perfect blouse a while back - cream colored, with lace across the top/shoulders and the rest is a very light material. Very lightweight and breathable. I love that shirt....my Mother has the exact same one, however, so I have to be careful when I wear it!  Wink I like to pair mine with my waistcoat...which I've been meaning to wear lately.

I need to find some suitable attire for the bottom half...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 06:21:07 pm »

ruffled tops/ blouses , crochet,  chemise, peasant blouse
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:43:45 am »

If you watch the movie, 'Picnic at Hanging Rock,' it has a lot of ideas for Victorian/Edwardian summer steampunk, like wearing black stockings with white lace and a black ribbon belt, and adding your own hat and sword-parasol, etc.  I find snow-glare sunglasses with leather side pieces as used by skiers work well as a kind of summer goggles alternative, as well as being practical.  Though not for driving, as they affect peripheral vision.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 07:31:07 am »

an excellent Australian book and movie.

A warning for all young ladies on the dangers of  being led astray 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: