The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:38:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice/help on a coat for the missus  (Read 745 times)
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:53 pm »

We've been looking for a coat for the missus for some time now, tried various places but not seen anything suitable without a silly price tag, so I thought I'd open it to the hivemind and see if any of you lovely folks could help.

For reference, Vanessa Ives from Penny Dreadful:

Something in this style but a bit longer this would be ideal. Size-wise around a UK 16 or 18 as the missus is tall, nearly six feet, and quite broad in the shoulder so she needs the bigger size to get the shoulder width and arm length.

Here's a picture of the missus in her 'Gal Capone' garb, to give you an idea of her build:

I know we could get one made, but she really doesn't want to spend bespoke money on something she's only going to wear a couple of times a year.

Any assistance on this seemingly impossible task would be most appreciated.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:40 am »

It looks like the kind of thing that could've been had from Laura Ashley once upon a time. Not any more sadly and vintage LA comes at a price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301194859384?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Other than the colour the most distinctive detail I can see about that coat is that it closes with frogging, which is something that could potentially be added to a regular button up coat afterwards. Although these type modifications are never cheap any more unless you can DIY.

Would I be right in thinking she's not after a black coat? This might be a slightly easier task if she were as some of the Gothy shops do stock some nice fitted coats, even though in reality the quality may not be great.

http://www.thegothiccatwalk.co.uk/black-jacquard-fitted-frock-coat-p-1331.html

As I'm one of the biggest eBay skulkers on the planet, if I see anything more suitable I'll be sure and post it here.

Still at least in PD they are making a convincing effort to be semi believable with Eva Green's outfits. Didn't I see Dorian Grey poncing around in low cut leather jeans and slippers last episode? I expect it won't be long before they've got him wearing black nail varnish and guyliner.  Roll Eyes

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:50 am »

I know it's getting harder but your best bet is probably still the charity shops. Obviously some of them are hiking the prices on anything "Vintage" (1980's vintage clothing!) but we still see some lovely fitted overcoats occasionally, as Argus siad embellishments like frogs aren't too difficult.
It just means a lot of time scavenging. I prefer the smaller local charity shops like our Cats protection League ones. They even sell junk and don't overprice. It might be worth donating your own unwanted stuff regularly to one or two of them and letting them know what you're looking for, some of them will keep an eye open for what you want.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »

I was initially suspicious  to why  you required dress coat for a statuesque fuller figured woman until I scrolled further and saw your glamorous  Valkyrian  wife.

Scout around the  charity shops and chain  stores for a reasonably priced coat  that could be modified.  Accessories like frogging ( roulade) can be purchased ready made to sew on.  Check around for a local  sewer that will  do alterations for a modest price  or may be able to  sew a coat from  a pattern for a small fee. Again look around , fabric  and "classic"  patterns can be found  cheaply on the net and in charity shops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: