The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 24, 2019, 05:12:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Castles in the world ??  (Read 13297 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

I am surrounded by Palmerston's follies where I live, including Spitbank.

I grew up exploring and playing in these. I suppose because they are on my doorstep, I tend to forget they are there.

Wouldnt mind owning Spitbank, the last time it sold was for about 2 million I think, its some kind of posh Corporate venue. (http://www.amazingvenues.co.uk/venues/solent-forts/spitbank-fort/spitbank-fort/)

And not forgetting parts of Tommy (The Who) and Dr Who The Sea Devils were filmed in some of these.......

~SeVeN~

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 09:41:14 am »

I am surrounded by Palmerston's follies where I live, including Spitbank.

I grew up exploring and playing in these. I suppose because they are on my doorstep, I tend to forget they are there.

Wouldnt mind owning Spitbank, the last time it sold was for about 2 million I think, its some kind of posh Corporate venue. (http://www.amazingvenues.co.uk/venues/solent-forts/spitbank-fort/spitbank-fort/)

And not forgetting parts of Tommy (The Who) and Dr Who The Sea Devils were filmed in some of these.......

~SeVeN~

You are a lucky man. I have often though the NZ coast could be good  pimped out with something  similar to those after seeing them on the TV.

the best we have are these gun emplacements A.K.A.  pill boxes

Pantaleon
Gunner
Germany Germany

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »

Although I'd like to throw in two more castles, simply because of their exceptional uniqueness:

Castel del Monte, Italy

Krak des Chevaliers, Syria
(I really like the name, by the way)

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17:58 pm »

Though nothing can compare with the castles of the old world,  there is something to be said for
 the tempting idea of conversion of the very solid bunker structures of WWII gun emplacements in the Pacific.  They have been sited without regard to planning permission, or indeed with regard to anything except their spectacular views, which in peacetime serve to exhilarate rather than provide a drop on invading forces with an enormous cannon.  Diamond Head crater is a park inside with a vast complex of tunnels inhabited by Civil Defense now, which would make a very nice Steampunk colony in the event of World Peace.  This bunker is situated at Ku'aloa Ranch, a beautiful unspoiled valley where Jurassic Park, LOST, and other things were filmed, and where one can go on horseback picnics.  On occasions of insomnia it is entertaining to plan its conversion.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 12:52:58 am »

Though nothing can compare with the castles of the old world,  there is something to be said for
 the tempting idea of conversion of the very solid bunker structures of WWII gun emplacements in the Pacific.  They have been sited without regard to planning permission, or indeed with regard to anything except their spectacular views, which in peacetime serve to exhilarate rather than provide a drop on invading forces with an enormous cannon.  Diamond Head crater is a park inside with a vast complex of tunnels inhabited by Civil Defense now, which would make a very nice Steampunk colony in the event of World Peace.  This bunker is situated at Ku'aloa Ranch, a beautiful unspoiled valley where Jurassic Park, LOST, and other things were filmed, and where one can go on horseback picnics.  On occasions of insomnia it is entertaining to plan its conversion.

Oh the myth , mystery and wild claims these  relic of another time created in our young minds.  Forgotten soldiers,  mazelike tunnels,  rattling skeletons,  hidden munition caches.   The  locations and views only added to their romance and intrigue.

Who knows truly  Arabella , if they are not already used for  hidden  steampunk style colonies.....
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 01:58:27 am »

Let's start one -- only Utopias have the most dismal track record!!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:09 am »

with the current naval  gathering in  your waters  Arabella what more apt  time  to consider a  network of tunnels  and bunkers under the  Southern Seas

They will never find us

MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:02 am »

In what terms are we defining ''castle", are we talking about "Castle Proper", or are we allowed to include any large scale "fortresses".

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 12:32:52 am »

In what terms are we defining ''castle", are we talking about "Castle Proper", or are we allowed to include any large scale "fortresses".

The  concept of castles  developed from fortresses  and many are built  around  older fortifications... so yes  fortresses count

Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 02:36:24 am »

not a castle, more so a home for bad people.......
Closest thing we have to a castle
Port Arthur
http://www.portarthur.org.au/

Port Arthur is a small town and former convict settlement on the Tasman Peninsula, in Tasmania, Australia. Port Arthur is one of Australia's most significant heritage areas and an open air museum.

The site forms part of the Australian Convict Sites, a World Heritage property consisting of eleven remnant penal sites originally built within the British Empire during the 18th and 19th centuries on fertile Australian coastal strips. Collectively, these sites, including Port Arthur, now represent, "...the best surviving examples of large-scale convict transportation and the colonial expansion of European powers through the presence and labour of convicts."[3]

Port Arthur is officially Tasmania's top tourist attraction. It is located approximately 60 kilometres (37 mi) south east of the state capital, Hobart. In 1996 it was the scene of the worst mass murder event in post-colonial Australian history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur,_Tasmania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

I can still remember the day when news broke about the shootings down there, *shiver* horrible days......

ghost tour is a MUST if you ever go, this place is just pure creepy even in the day light.........

Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:09 am »

people are still talking about the Port Arthur shootings.

Books on the convicts  of Tasmania are interesting as was the one on the shootings
Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 04:52:45 am »

people are still talking about the Port Arthur shootings.

Books on the convicts  of Tasmania are interesting as was the one on the shootings

yeah, still a touchy topic for sure, a very scary time. even tho I'm 2+ hours north, it was still very scary.

some of the books available on the site are truly amazing. Some of the books on the stories of the convicts are really hair raising!!!!!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:46 am »

There is another such St. Michael's Mount off the coast of Cornwall.  Lovely.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:39:30 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2014, 01:42:02 pm »

My two favourite castles are Blackness, near Edinburgh, and Eilean Donan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackness_Castle#mediaviewer/File:Blackness_Castle,_Blackness,_Scotland.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_Hebrides#mediaviewer/File:Eilean_Donan_Castle,_Scotland_-_Jan_2011.jpg

Blackness, dating from 1440, was used in a BBC production of Ivanhoe for the fight scenes in and around Torquilstone, Reginald Frond de Boeuf's castle

Eilean Donan was blown up in 1719 and rebuilt in the 1930s. It didn't exist in it's current form at the time of Mel Gibson's Braveheart, although there are parts dating from the 13th century.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:46:00 pm by inigo jameson-gatling » Logged

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2014, 10:48:01 pm »

Eilean Donan voted the most romantic castle in the world

"Eilean Donan Castle is one of the most recognized Castle in Scotland, and the most beautiful castle in Scotland. Eilean Donan Castle is located on an island at the point where three sea lochs of the met, and is surrounded by some stunning views, it is not surprising that the fortress is now one of the most visited attractions and important in the Highlands of Scotland. The first Eilean Donan Castle was later established in the 13th century by Alexander II in an effort to help protect the region from the Viking invasion. At this stage in the history of the original fortress includes the whole island and is believed to have been built with seven towers linked by curtain walls. Over the centuries, the castle was expanded and contracted for reasons that still remain a mystery to this day, until all together 1,719 while indulging in one of the rebel Jacobites were less well known. When the United Kingdom Government learned that the Fort was occupied by the Jacobites were leaders along with Spain’s army garrison, three Royal Navy frigates sent to deal with the insurgency. On May 10, 1719, three heavily armed warships moored not far from the fortress and bombarded with cannon. With walls up to 5 feet thick, this gun has a small impact, but eventually the castle was overwhelmed by force. Found 343 barrels in gunpowder, Police Commander ordered to blow the Fort up, here’s the Eilean Donan Castle set on destruction still for the best part of two hundred years. - See more at: http://nexttriptourism.com/eilean-donan-castle-tourism-scotland-1/#sthash.Uv3s5Qq2.dpuf "
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:49:53 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2014, 02:21:01 am »

I find myself wondering who was responsible for the Engrish translation on that tourism website.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 10:06:08 am »

I would have to say Miramare Castle, just because there is something quite beautiful in its setting, and because I share a birthday with the guy who built it (Although I don't plan to be executed by the Mexican Republican Army, not part of the agenda.

It is also very similar to Swallows Nest in the Crimea, from which I think it draws a few parallels.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 08:18:49 am »

Hidden near the Austrian village of Flachau, lies Schloss Höch.

It's interiour has beautiful woodwork.

The stoves in the rooms are fed on the corridor side, so the help shouldn't have to enter the rooms.

When we visited this castle, the kitchen was under construction.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
selectedgrub
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:29 am »

Quote from: Hurricane Annie

The  concept of castles  developed from fortresses  and many are built  around  older fortifications... so yes  fortresses count

Fortresses, for keeping people in.
Anything designed by Thomas Story Kirkbride
and the Kirkbride plan.
http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Castle Bran, Transylvania. This is the castle that the Romanian tourist board promote as 'Dracula's castle' although historic evidence that he ever spent more than one night there is somewhat thin on the ground

The REAL Dracula's Castle (or what's left of it) is perched on a ridiculously high peak in Poienari..

But for unbridled beauty, fabulous decor and design, The Peles Palace at Sinaia takes some beating..

The rooms in here are breath taking. Too many pics to link  so just Google it and chack outthe decor inside.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:18 pm »

Castle Bran, Transylvania. This is the castle that the Romanian tourist board promote as 'Dracula's castle' although historic evidence that he ever spent more than one night there is somewhat thin on the ground

It's also for sale!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/luxuryhomes/10817139/Buy-a-stake-in-Draculas-castle.html
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »

If we include other fortifications, I like Star Forts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_fort

A lot of Dutch towns started out as forts..

Bourtange

Naarden

Brielle

Geertruidenberg

Willemstad

Hulst

Woudrichem

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 04:14:07 am »

now that I have read up a little more on castles I understand  the  varied design  a little better. Real battles were fought and won over these buildings.

Curved walls  meant that arrows were more likely to glance off.
Moats  obstructed undermining of guard towers.
Building on a cliff face meant supply boats could bring in soldiers and supplies when under siege.

Assmannshausen_castle

Caerphilly

Harlech

lindisfarne

Conwy

Dave Leppo
Snr. Officer

fabricateur

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:19 pm »

ROCCA-MAGGIORE atop the hill of Assisi, Italy

situated thus: