The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 25, 2019, 11:41:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Castles in the world ??  (Read 14936 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:41 pm »

I have visited several - from the Citadel in Cairo to Ruthin in Wales, Edinburgh Castle, the Alhambra, Carmona, El Castillo de la Luna, and some palaces and fortified residences that don't quite fit the strict definition of castle.  Even stayed the night in a couple - no hauntings to report.

But my favorite, to this day, is one I visited in Carinthia, in the Dolomites of Austria - Schloss Oberdrauburg.

It is a little pocket castle - you can still see the little ring wall, and that the tower was once higher.  But it really is a place small enough for a family to live - you could build a replica of this as it was before the top of the tower fell for about the same cost as a modern home.  I once entertained thoughts of doing just that, finding a suitable place here near my home town, getting the design figured out and building it from stone. 

I would probably finish the tower much like that at Falkenstein:

http://media.get24.at/3dakMedia/PPM_3DAK_kw_nht/5408_SCALED_800x600.jpg

which is probably very much like the missing bits in "my" little castle.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 10:19:56 pm »

you are just showing off , having a castle like that in your back yard   Wink

It looks pretty groovy,  have you visited ?

I have been in Olofsborg castle many times over the years, because some of my relatives live in that town. Smiley
Next time will be probably in August, because one historical reenactment group keep medieval festival in there. http://www.mustanvirrankeskiaika.fi/in-english

Most Finnish castles have square towers, so that round style give it more personal look. It had originally four identical towers like in the photographs and one more thicker storage tower on the middle, but the largest one was blown to bits in 1791 when gunpowder storage exploded and one of the smaller towers broken in "great northern war" (1700–1721) when Tsardom of Russia conquer us from Swedish Empire.
Conical roofs and round shooting holes are built in the Russian era. Before that towers had only some standard crenelation edges etc.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:22:25 pm by Astalo » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 12:13:01 am »

The   gun  slots and gun powder explosion some how give it more "street cred"  as a castle

Do they blow things up for the re enactments?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 05:25:10 am »

I have visited several - from the Citadel in Cairo to Ruthin in Wales, Edinburgh Castle, the Alhambra, Carmona, El Castillo de la Luna, and some palaces and fortified residences that don't quite fit the strict definition of castle.  Even stayed the night in a couple - no hauntings to report.

But my favorite, to this day, is one I visited in Carinthia, in the Dolomites of Austria - Schloss Oberdrauburg.

It is a little pocket castle - you can still see the little ring wall, and that the tower was once higher.  But it really is a place small enough for a family to live - you could build a replica of this as it was before the top of the tower fell for about the same cost as a modern home.  I once entertained thoughts of doing just that, finding a suitable place here near my home town, getting the design figured out and building it from stone. 

Cheers!

Chas.

Good luck with building codes..... I used to sell stone for a living, remember?  You have no idea of the idiocy that engineers will have us do sinply because there is not enough data for them to guarantee the integrity of structural components made of stone. Basically we needed to make sure all stinework was self supporting, but would not in any way be a structural component of the main frame of the house - if that makes any sense.   The idiocy in having to mix wooden structural components and stone (and I am NOT talking about roofs or ceilings) is enough to make your blood boil.

It all comes down to lack of experience in America when dealing with stone (it's a different story in non-English speaking countries).  You see, there are not enough property tables for engineers to use, so they - unlike their European counterparts - will avoid the use of stone as a structural component as it were the plague.  Being an engineer myself, I knew better, and knew why they were so intransigent.  Stone has it's caveat (zero tensile strength), but it's not any less reliable than wood, and in fact wood will show much more variance in the quality of the material, typically.

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:56 am »

Reminds me a bit of the towers on this castle

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »

Although I have never been to either, I would like to visit Edinburgh Castle, and Neuschwanstein (sp?). to date the only "castle" I have been in was Sleeping Beauty's in Disneyland, and that's really just a facade.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »

Cheers!

Chas.

You're so lucky!! Sleeping in one! How fantastic. My post was a mere wish list, not a list of where I've been.

I love the look of Falkenstein. I think that would be a perfect family home!!!

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:46 am »

The   gun  slots and gun powder explosion some how give it more "street cred"  as a castle

Do they blow things up for the re enactments?

Not probably in Finnish events, but I visited ten years ago in one festival what they keep in Vyborg Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg_Castle and the russian reenactors shoot many times with medieval style cannons and arquebuses. Also the fighting shows looked more "hardcore" than in Finnish fairs.  Grin
Vyborg castle medieval mass fight
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 04:27:19 am »

I like most castles but one of my favorites is Schloss Ronneburg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronneburg,_Hesse  It is sort one of a pair.

-Karl
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

I like most castles but one of my favorites is Schloss Ronneburg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronneburg,_Hesse  It is sort one of a pair.

What a great setting for a period movie or even a new series THAT intricate, compact little world would make!
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 11:31:35 pm »

Hohenzollern Castle(and yes I know it has been done already, so don't think I didn't notice it!)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:33:07 pm by MarcusJuliusCroft » Logged

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:57 am »

My wife and I visited Belgium twice about fifteen years ago and the Czech Republic about 7 years ago and visited a few castles in both countries. It would be difficult to chose my favorite, as each one is special.

The Gravensteen in Ghent is still in wonderful shape and walking through the main gate gives one the impression of the castle of a defensive system as much as an architectural edifice. We were fortunate enough to be able to stay overnight in Spontin, a small castle with parts that date back to the eighth century. We were shown the cellar that everyone would hide in when the Vikings would come rowing along the Scheldt River. The area we stayed in was "the new wing," built in 1587. We also have the dubious distinction of being asked to leave Gaasbeek, which was actually closed when we visited or privately owned at the time. We also ran around the parapets of Beersel that day, giggling foolishly and imagining what it would be like to have to defend it.

In the Czech Republic, the castle of Prague is like a city unto itself, with numerous buildings and even an entire cathedral within its walls. Kost castle is surrounded by hills and forests and would be the perfect place to get on with some mad science. Pernštejn is a large and lovely castle located in Moravia, the southern part of the Czech Republic. Its Prismatic Tower is one of its best known features.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 04:22:34 am »

My wife and I visited Belgium twice about fifteen years ago and the Czech Republic about 7 years ago and visited a few castles in both countries. It would be difficult to chose my favorite, as each one is special.

The Gravensteen in Ghent is still in wonderful shape and walking through the main gate gives one the impression of the castle of a defensive system as much as an architectural edifice. We were fortunate enough to be able to stay overnight in Spontin, a small castle with parts that date back to the eighth century. We were shown the cellar that everyone would hide in when the Vikings would come rowing along the Scheldt River. The area we stayed in was "the new wing," built in 1587. We also have the dubious distinction of being asked to leave Gaasbeek, which was actually closed when we visited or privately owned at the time. We also ran around the parapets of Beersel that day, giggling foolishly and imagining what it would be like to have to defend it.

In the Czech Republic, the castle of Prague is like a city unto itself, with numerous buildings and even an entire cathedral within its walls. Kost castle is surrounded by hills and forests and would be the perfect place to get on with some mad science. Pernštejn is a large and lovely castle located in Moravia, the southern part of the Czech Republic. Its Prismatic Tower is one of its best known features.

Burgess Shale those images dont seem to be working.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 12:58:45 am »

Fixed some of them- often Wiki will have http files that end in ".jpg" erroneously leading you to believe these are photos- you have to seek the photo in the page.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 01:29:03 am »

This is Scotney Castle, a castle to be lived in and enjoyed if ever there was one!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 06:21:03 am »

So far I'd have to say that my favorite castle is every castle. I can't just choose one. Maybe a composite of castles?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:44 am »

This is Scotney Castle, a castle to be lived in and enjoyed if ever there was one!

Rather romantic .

https://nttreasurehunt.wordpress.com/category/scotney-castle/

http://www.simplybeautifulweddinghair.co.uk/photo-shoots-celebs/

MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 07:23:47 am »

Leonardos design for his fortress
Haybuzz
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »

In case no one has mentioned it already Neuschwanstein is the castle that was actually used for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I went there as a child, It's amazing but I don't think I could manage the steep climb up to it nowadays.

They have horse & carts for those who don't want to/can't manage the steep walk Cheesy

Definitely Neuschwanstein for me - wen't there in November 2 years ago and it was amazing - even in the fog & snow Cheesy
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:38 pm »

Definitely Neuschwanstein for me - wen't there in November 2 years ago and it was amazing - even in the fog & snow Cheesy

I should think fog and snow would only add to the effect. Smiley

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »

In case no one has mentioned it already Neuschwanstein is the castle that was actually used for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I went there as a child, It's amazing but I don't think I could manage the steep climb up to it nowadays.

They have horse & carts for those who don't want to/can't manage the steep walk Cheesy

Can't manage the steep climb?  HORSE AND CARTS?  Pah, amateurs, what is the world coming to...
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:51 pm »

My favorite castle is in my head!

Balmoral rates over Windsor (try dodging those deer with a motorbike and you'll know why). Blair Athol, Duke of Athol the only person allowed a private army in the UK has possibilities, but after 20 years in Norfolk I'd have to go with 'Venta Icenium' (OK not strictly a castle, pre 1066), but 25 mins from my flat and still an impressive site.

P.S. not forgetting 'Roy' I had some fun in a commune with one of his son's.....good trombonist Sean Castle can play
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

This place is my fave Scottish pile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengorm_Castle

and at the opposite end of the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitbank_Fort

Either of these would do for me!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:36 am »

This place is my fave Scottish pile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengorm_Castle

and at the opposite end of the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitbank_Fort

Either of these would do for me!

Glengorm

Spitbank Fort

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:37 am »

Antwerp is surrounded by 8 fortresses. Most of them, hidden for public and bewildered. They are perfect hidden lairs for a Steampunk superhero or villain.
http://www.fortenvanbelgie.be/fort.php?fort=ABBF3B

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: