The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 18, 2019, 04:19:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Castles in the world ??  (Read 15825 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: June 08, 2014, 12:00:24 am »

So who has visited  castles and who would like to visit castles? Which castles would you like to visit , stay at  or even live in  ?

I have only read about these places  and may one day like to build my own  after visiting them for ideas and inspiration

Castle Eltz is my favourite . It reminds me of the one in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Though these others are quite fascinating and intriguing.  It makes one wonder who lived in them and how they lived.

Clifford's Tower,  York

Neidpath , Scotland

Bolton castle, Yorkshire

Malahide Castle , Ireland  [ always makes me think a mad woman lives in there]
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 05:59:34 am »

Apparently I am partial to German castles:

Neuschwanstein Castle

Wernigerode Castle

Hohenzollern

And ok, English:

Highclere Castle! aka Downton Abbey

Ordered in marginally-descending preference.

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »

Where I live. After all, An Englishman's home is his castle, is it not? Grin

~SeVeN~

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »

Norwich Castle, the Borg Cube among the castles.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »

Castle Drogo in Devon.  The last castle built in Britain (1910-30), designed by Edwin Lutyens and hewn out of granite. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:23:51 pm »

Unless the Tower of London Counts, I guess the only castle I've been in was Sforza castle in Italy. Unless the Porte counts (in Istanbul not Constantinople, been a long time gone...where was I?...Wink
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

Fortress at Alamut

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:07:22 pm »

In the Netherlands, I am partial to Kasteel de Haar, home of the annual Elf Fantasy Fair.. couldn't imagine a more suitable location, really:

For interesting architecture, I also like Himeji castle, in Japan.

If we include castels whose purpose wasn't necessarily to be a military object, I'd also include Versailles and Mont St. Michel in the list..

polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:18:02 pm »

One season when I was doing archaeology I lived in this castle. Well. in the moat. In a tool shed just by the lower tower. Good times.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 08:24:34 pm »

One season when I was doing archaeology I lived in this castle. Well. in the moat. In a tool shed just by the lower tower. Good times.

Where is that castle located? Was there any skeletons and  war weapons?
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 11:13:01 pm »

Flint Castle, North Wales. Part of a chain built by Edward I to subdue the Welsh. No skeletons in that one, but more than enough other places I dug. One pretty exciting trench collapse which could have killed one of the diggers, (me) but didn't.
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »

Some really lovely pictures already. I love castles, both real ones and fake ones. I have visited Chirk Castle, Dinas Bran and Caergwrle Castle - all in North Wales and I've visited Beeston Castle in Cheshire. I would love to live in a castle. Castles being so big and sometimes remote, it might be fun to share it with one or two other families but they would have to be like minded people. It would feel a bit like surviving the apocalypse.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:25 am »

Well if castles are not confined to the modern era, then I have this.  Not a castle but a whole fortified town:

Carcassone.  I was there circa 1981

Wiki
Occupied since the Neolithic, Carcassonne is located in the Aude plain between two great axis of circulation linking the Atlantic to the Mediterranean sea and the Massif Central to the Pyrénées. Its strategical importance was quickly recognised by the Romans who occupied its hilltop until the demise of their western empire and was later taken over by the Visigoths in the fifth century who founded the city. Also thriving as a trading post due to its location, it saw many rulers who successively built up its fortifications up until its military significance was greatly reduced by the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659.

The city is famous for the Cité de Carcassonne, a medieval fortress restored by the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in 1853 and added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997.

~ ~ ~
And you probably knew I was going to mention it, as I'm obliged to vote for the home team, but Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City is the closest we get to a real castle (not imported stone by stone or built for wealthy people) in North America:

Chapultepec Castle

Originally the Spanish Viceroy's residence in 1775, it became the Mexican Military Academy in 1833.  It was taken by US Marines in 1847 during the Mexican American War, and by the French in 1864.  Under the protection of the French,  Austrian Prince Maximilian Ferdinand was crowned Emperor of Mexico and rennovated the Castle -along with various parts of Mexico City.  Chapultepec castle became his seat of power, until he was executed in 1867.  Thereafter, it became the residence of several presidents until 1939, when it was converted into a national museum.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:09:10 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11:06 pm »

Mr Wilhelm  That castle looks grander than the sky scrapers in the background
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »

Some really lovely pictures already. I love castles, both real ones and fake ones. I have visited Chirk Castle, Dinas Bran and Caergwrle Castle - all in North Wales and I've visited Beeston Castle in Cheshire. I would love to live in a castle. Castles being so big and sometimes remote, it might be fun to share it with one or two other families but they would have to be like minded people. It would feel a bit like surviving the apocalypse.

some of the castles in England  Whales, Scotland and Ireland  that are still lived in have that  WW2 bunker sort of interior.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »

In case no one has mentioned it already Neuschwanstein is the castle that was actually used for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I went there as a child, It's amazing but I don't think I could manage the steep climb up to it nowadays.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »

Cardiff Castle
Castell Coch
St. Fagans

(Both the interiors of Castle Coch & Cardiff Castle were remodeled by William Burgess)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 10:45:16 pm »

In case no one has mentioned it already Neuschwanstein is the castle that was actually used for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I went there as a child, It's amazing but I don't think I could manage the steep climb up to it nowadays.

Thank you for that trip down nostalgia lane. It is  beautiful...

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:45 pm »

An individual above name dropped Mont St Michel castle . I have long   wished for a   stay at the resort.....

an exceptionally  steampunk place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 01:07:46 am »

I have always liked this 15th-century castle from 80 kilometers north from my home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olavinlinna
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Olavinlinna#mediaviewer/File:Savonlinna_hein%C3%A4kuu_2002_IMG_1635.JPG
http://yourattractions.com/category/europe/finland/st-olafs-castle-olavinlinna/
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 04:29:19 am »

An individual above name dropped Mont St Michel castle . I have long   wished for a   stay at the resort.....

an exceptionally  steampunk place

How lovely! I can see why.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:48 am »

you are just showing off , having a castle like that in your back yard   Wink

It looks pretty groovy,  have you visited ?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:16 am »

Apparently England had many more wonderful castles but the English Civil War put pay to many of them.

Some of them looked really rather splendid. (not that much remains to get a proper idea of their original grandeur).

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:52 am »

Mr Wilhelm  That castle looks grander than the sky scrapers in the background

I does, doesn't it?  And they picked a relatively clear day too.  Since I left in the late 80s, they've cleaned the air quite a bit, from what I understand, now the "dirty-air" title goes to Shanghai, I'm afraid.

An individual above name dropped Mont St Michel castle . I have long   wished for a   stay at the resort.....

an exceptionally  steampunk place

The Germans have the most unique castles, but French have the coolest large size fortifications...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

This one is in Harvard, IL.  Friends of mine built it as a Bed and Breakfast.  Haven't been there since it was completed, but a really nice place.

http://www.ravenstonecastle.com/

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: