The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:59:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pax Britannica  (Read 980 times)
Pax_Britannica
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 03, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »

Okay, not too long ago I decided to make my own Steampunk costume from scratch. The rough design I decided upon was somewhat inspired by Corvo Attano from Dishonored (unrelated sidenote; the missing 'u' in that title irks me), in that it will comprise of a long coat, mask, sword and pistol. I also settled on a name and a basic backstory. He will be Pax Britannica (The British Peace) and he will be an assassin, killing for the good of The British Empire.
Here is the coat I made, front and back.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan on wearing a white shirt and black waistcoat underneath, with a pair of working clockwork cufflinks. There will be a pair of black trousers, with a red stripe running up the outside of each leg. I have a pair of British army surplus Directly Molded Sole boots, with toe and heel polished to a high shine, and will have a pair of anklets much like these, only in black leather. There will also be numerous belt pouches of varying size and purpose, as well as a holster and a ring scabbard for the weapons.
Speaking of weapons, here is a sketch of what I want the sword to turn out, but I am having trouble sourcing a suitable brass item to fashion the hilt from.

Sketch of the mask.

I plan for it to be predominantly dark stained wood, but finding a suitable piece of wood to fashion the mask from is proving tricky.  The eyepieces will be simply brass-rimmed sunglasses lenses, and the cheeks hollowed out and covered with a brass mesh to breath through.

As for a firearm, I have considered using either a Mauser C96 or a Webley revolver, but as I live in the UK, incorporating a RIF wouldn't be the best idea.

Two things I cannot settle on yet, though, is what to use for a belt buckle and what to use for a tie. Any thoughts?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Pax Britannica.
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer
United States United States

It's not stupid, it's ADVANCED!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »

I dig the coat with the built in hood.  That's pretty neat.  I haven't had the chance to play Dishonored, but I've seen a few costumes inspired by it.  Well done. 

Sketch of the mask.

I plan for it to be predominantly dark stained wood, but finding a suitable piece of wood to fashion the mask from is proving tricky.  The eyepieces will be simply brass-rimmed sunglasses lenses, and the cheeks hollowed out and covered with a brass mesh to breath through.

For the mask halves, since you want them to be wooden, have you looked at finding wooden salad bowls that could be re-purposed?  Also, if you don't mind cheating the mask a little, you can fabricate something out of foam, or Worbla, and then use a wood veneer over that.

Two things I cannot settle on yet, though, is what to use for a belt buckle and what to use for a tie. Any thoughts?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Pax Britannica.

I got nothing for the tie/cravat.  For the buckle, I would say go big, and definitely incorporate a weapon into it.  A derringer pistol or poison ampule would be awesome.

SC

There is no problem in the world that cannot be overcome with the suitable application of high explosives.

First Build: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31253.0.html
Second One: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38856.0.html
Pax_Britannica
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:03:14 pm »

Using a salad bowl was my original idea, but I realised that salad bowls have to stay upright, so they have a flat base wheras I wanted a smooth curve. I am on the lookout for one with a small base that I can smooth away. If not, then I will go for a veneered mask.

I like the derringer idea. Definitely a possibility.

It occurs to me that some form of insignia wouldn't go amiss, maybe on the arms.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:13:50 pm »

If you're going to have a cravat have a dark coloured one and maybe a tie pin with some sort of insignia on it. Maybe an assassins guild pin?

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: