The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:43:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: {Retro-Photo in Fashion and Media Thread}  (Read 6202 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: June 03, 2014, 01:24:51 am »

Dear ladies and gentlemen.  Are there any photography aficionados out there?  I know for a fact that the Steampunk community has a strong proclivity toward fashion and photography for obvious reasons.  I hereby declare myself a "lurker" of photography sites, and every now and then you find that photographers - without knowing the first thing about historical periods (e.g. Edwardian period) or movements (e.g. Steampunk) tend to "hit the nail" every now and then churning photographs that just seem perfect.

Now, this thread is not meant to be a Steampunk-only thread;  I want this thread to be retrofuturistic and anachronistic.  If you find Steampunk examples include them,  If you find Dieselpunk examples, include them, but note that I'm looking for the perception of anachronism in general.  WE all know what Steampunk and Dieselpunk look like.  What I'm trying to do here is gauge the understanding of anachronism among the mundanes, pure and simple.  Controversial topics like Numi Prasanrn's little prissy fit on whether  couture fashion is Steampunk-derived or not are not welcome (I don't want to start a fight) -BUT the fashion photographs behind the controversy are welcome - does than make sense?  Whether a creator believes he is the originator of a fashion or not is totally immaterial - because in the end we have all been bitten by the anachronist bug - and if you wake up one day and you decide that all your models should dress like Dick Tracy, that is an indication that subconsciously you have been influenced by something you saw somewhere else.

Preferably these images should be contemporary,  Why?  Because I'm trying to gauge our present-day's understanding of anachronism.  How historically minded can young people be today - even if it's just a superficial image?  How right did they get it?

So to avoid further delays, let me start the thread in the 1920's 30's Jazz Age (corresponding loosely to the earlly "Diesel" period).  Below I present some photos taken of model Yumi Lambert for Vogue China (June2014) and Vogue Japan (August 2013).

Yumi is a very beautiful Belgian girl who is 1/4 Japanese, and her looks have been expertly used by some photographers - and somehow she tends to get used for period shoots.  Here I have what looks to be photos suited to 1920's flapper era fashion, with a bit of 1930's "Metropolis" futurism - probably in an Asian setting (please note that 1920's fashion had a strong tinge of Japanese art in it - Asian culture was very exotic and "modern" and it was incorporated into the fashion of the flappers, right down to the bob or "price valiant" haircut that became the rage among flappers.  A lot of what is considered a "cabaret" look (think Liza Minelli) originated in this time period, and Japan was by far the most "decadent" and "modern" of societies in Asia at the time, probably because it had westernised itself since the Meiji period -- althewhile Imperialist and expansionist nationalism in the military dangerously brewed in the early Showa period of the 1930's

(I provide links only because of copyrights, etc., etc.)

http://astairwaytofashion.com/2013/07/11/yumi-lambert-for-vogue-japan-august-2013-2/

http://wearesodroee.com/2014/05/20/soft-metallic/yumi-lambert-by-kenneth-willardt-for-vogue-china-june-2014-4/

Can you find other modern day examples?  For other eras?  Try to correlate to actual history and give a setting!
I'm in love.  Retro-flapper Japanese style.  Belgian model Yumi Lambert for Vogue Japan August 2013. #foolslove #imtooold
(hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting this)

{{  Let the photo hunt begin!  }}
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:14:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:06:47 am »

Ha!  The things one finds on the interwebs... 

Poking about fashion magazines one finds that:

Harper's Bazaar (Formerly Harper's Bazar) was founded in 1867. Cosmopolitan (Formerly The Cosnopolitan) was founded in 1886. Vogue was founded in 1892.  Presumably all were founded in the United States.

Harper's Bazaar Volume I, No. 49 , 1868

The Cosmopolitan, March 1898

Vogue. May 1917
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:40:41 pm »

At a quick google glance -  vintage graphic art  based on  photographic image has a certain appeal  and can be quite striking . Steampunk and the various "vintage"  pop culture  enthusiasm has  brought them back  for us to enjoy  again

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:55 am »

"modern" examples

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: