The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 07:32:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got invited to a steampunk ball... help!  (Read 1822 times)
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« on: May 24, 2014, 01:30:37 am »

Hey guys.. I got invited to a steampunk ball. Really cool but I have never done any Steampunk stuff before.

I am looking for cheap/thrifty as I don't have a ton of disposable income at the current moment and this is kinda last minute as the ball is on the 31st of this month.

I managed to get a grey flat cap($10) and a brown vest ($3) But honestly I don't really know if they are even truly steampunk era. LOL. I hope so. I have a pair of tall steel toes that I am thinking of modding a bit to make them look interesting. They are fairly light in color which I am not too happy about but with my short time period I am not sure there is much I can do about it at this point. Also pants... I am not really sure what to wear for this... I hear that pleats weren't worn in this time period. Most of the pants I have seen around have pleats. I am currently making my masquerade mask (going for a steampunk owl mask.. turning out well so far) oh and I am just planning on wearing a black dress shirt I have in the closet. I was thinking maybe a grey pair of dress pants to go with...

Any simple suggestions? I will try to get a picture of everything I have on tomorrow so you can see how much trouble I may be in.
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:41 am »

A Steampunk ball? In the Cayman Islands?

Hi Desidus, The fact is there never really was a Steampunk era which means that you have the freedom to wear whatever you like to this event.  Wink

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:53 am »

Somehow I think that a sonic the hedgehog mascot costume wouldn't go over that well...

Just more looking for some style ideas as this isn't something I have ever been to. Trying to get ideas online but most of it is ummm I believe you call it "dapper" stuff. I am going for more of the "rogue/worker/screw you upper-class" style. lol. I have some experience crafting with foam, so if anyone has some ideas I could do with that it would help.

Any other tips for a first time steampunk event would be good too. lol.

I forgot to mention.. I need help with my wife as well since she got invited.. and I am even less sure of how to help her out with her clothes. Is there an easy way to take a simple dress and make it more steampunky? I like the mini hats and I know where we can get her one.. so that's a start I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:05:18 am by Desidus » Logged
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:19:21 am »

I would say that it sounds like you are on the right track. For your first outing, it is okay to keep it simple. You don't need to have a crazy accessory, and as most will tell you there is no right way. Just the right mask, hat and/or jewelery will give the right feel.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:54 am »

Flat caps and newsboys are definitely steampunk, IMHO. By and large the flat cap or a permutation thereof fits into nearly any 19th century scenario, much the same as medium-width-brimmed hats of felt or various types of straw, and stovepipe toppers.

I'm envious that you've actually found a brown vest; they're rare as blue diamonds in my part of the world, except for the kind fitted with snaps and zippers that one finds in tack shops and western wear stores. Most of the stores around here that sell suits deal only in blacks and grays in vests these days, for some reason.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:38 am »

A Steampunk ball? In the Cayman Islands?

Hi Desidus, The fact is there never really was a Steampunk era which means that you have the freedom to wear whatever you like to this event.  Wink

Ha ha ha.. no I am not from the Cayman Islands... not sure quite how that happened. I'm from Canada. lol.
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57:39 pm »

Somehow I think that a sonic the hedgehog mascot costume wouldn't go over that well...

You do have a point.  Grin

Even vaguely steampunk is acceptable especially for your first outing. What you already have sounds fine. I once heard a sad story about someone who didn't go to a steampunk event because they lacked confidence in their outfit. Please don't do this. Personally I would rather meet someone whatever they were wearing than not meet them at all.

I forgot to mention.. I need help with my wife as well since she got invited.. and I am even less sure of how to help her out with her clothes. Is there an easy way to take a simple dress and make it more steampunky? I like the mini hats and I know where we can get her one.. so that's a start I suppose.

I have a similar situation. My wife usually wears a gothic victorian skirt and corset we borrow from a friend but what about when she wants a different look or something less restrictive? We are working on it. It will probably involve me making some outfits for her.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:19:40 pm »

When you say ordinary dress what style do you mean.  A full skirted dress can be safety pinned into a bustle shape.   it can look very effective worn over another long skirt to give the outline of a Victorian  woman. A friend also pinned a small cushion under her bustle to give support  If a corset or a waist cinch is too much a wide shaped belt may still give the effect you want.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 02:56:39 am »

scour the opportunity and charity shops for anything that could look like  vintage wedding gear

- or military style  garments

[ It  fires the imagination what people throw out. What went wrong that  that a  former bride   chucks out her nuptial  frock  to charity ??  Or tosses out the  evidence  and memories  of their parents  wedding and marriage tidings....  what went so  horrible wrong Huh ]

Such outfits  can be modified  to suit the purpose. Dyed, trimmed , be ribboned  to suit a new purpose.

Ball gowns and  old  mens suits   can be  given  another outing another waltz around the dance floor
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 03:15:40 am »

Ran into an article about Corduroy.. yay! Apparently it was by then firmly established as the poor mans velvet.. sounds perfect for me and I have a nice pair of beige ones in my closet that I like. Awesome... Will put a picture of myself up in a bit... Cheesy
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 04:04:36 am »

Okay.. so here it is sans boots cause I plain forgot them.. though I may just wear my black shoes cause they are more comfy.

Hopefully that picture works for you all. This outfit is warm... phew...

P.S. - Ignore the mess as I have kids... lol.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:13:03 am by Desidus » Logged
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 05:37:07 am »

Looks like a great start!
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:52 pm »

Some sort of neckerchief / cravat - could be made from an odd length of fabric and an aethernet search will find plenty of 'how to' make and tie videos. A cheap watch chain, even if no watch at present (but there are watches on the aethernet for around £15 so CAD30 ish?)

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »

Great outfit. You seem to have the knack for putting things together. A neckerchief / cravat would really seal the deal.
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 03:10:53 am »

I already find it really warm. Not sure I want to add a tie thingy as well.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 06:15:01 am »

An ascot (sort of a tie that fits under  the shirt except at the neck) tends to work reasonably well for torrid weather, especially  if it's of a lightweight fabric. A bandana tied around the neck  such that the broad triangular side hangs down in front can come in handy too; it's what folks out here in Texas used to wear on the cattle drives and such, and it can serve as kind of a "poor man's" ascot in a pinch.

Being a resident in a hot and humid climate myself (Houston), I can understand the desire to avoid uncomfortably warm clothing,  but I've found that dressing in a vest and a buff,  bandana or a shemagh worn bandana style, in hot weather tends to cause a sweat that actually cools one off once the breeze blows; that's how people kept cool in the days before whirling ceiling fans and coil-cooled A/C (minus the shemagh or the buff, of course). Unfortunately, it does take some adaptation and acclimatization, which might be problematic if the event is in the next few days (it usually takes me about a month to get used to it, especially after a really cool winter).
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »

Btw... Thanks for the advice everyone.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »

Definitely needs a neckerchief of some sort, I think a cravat would be too formal for the rest of the look, and a watch chain - which could be as simple as 12" of brass chain looping from one waistcoat pocket, through a waistcoat buttonhole to a pocket on the other side.  Having a T-bar in the middle or a watch on the end would be a bonus, but not essential.  Sleeve garters would be a nice detail touch.

If a neckerchief or scarf seems too warm, remember that wearing either would remove any requirement for a t-shirt under your shirt.  If you do want an undershirt, see if you can find a granddad style undershirt with buttons at the neck.

PS
Always leave the bottom button of the waistcoat undone..
A gentleman's belt and shoes/boots should always match, so with your black belt the black shoes would be appropriate..
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »

If you're after a roguish or "scruffy" look, you might consider a collarless or "grandpa" shirt. If it were me, I might also go for a darker shade of trousers (maybe brown - something like a pair of Dockers will look fine and they're comfortable) and a lighter shade of shirt (maybe beige), but obviously that's your choice. Here's an example of what I mean:

Admittedly this is more Chap than Steampunk (it was at my son's St George's Day parade) but you get the idea.

As for accessories, don't fret it too much - that will come with time, although speaking of time you might consider a pocket watch as a good starting point.

Other than that, don't worry about it too much - this is Steampunk, not cosplay; you don't need an amazing outfit for your first event - go, have fun and see what others are wearing, it will give you ideas for the future  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

A neckerchief seems like a decent idea and would give a nice look to it... I'm guessing you don't find neckerchiefs on sale at places...

Do you guys just buy a bandana and fold it in half?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:47 am »

A neckerchief seems like a decent idea and would give a nice look to it... I'm guessing you don't find neckerchiefs on sale at places...

Do you guys just buy a bandana and fold it in half?

opportunity and charity shops are  great places to look for odds n ends  such as bandana , neckerchiefs and silk type scarves . Belts,  buckles, badges and brooches.  All manner of ties and suits. Hats canes and bags
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:39 am »

The one by me didn't really have much... the main city by me has some larger ones that will most likely have more available.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 05:29:14 am »

A pocketwatch, or a chain that just looks like there is a watch attached to it

A walking stick or long umbrella

Sleeve garters

Fingerless gloves
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »

Hmm the sleeve garter could be a neat idea... if I could find a red bandana and a red sleeve band.. I would be happier with my costume I think. Needs some color.
Desidus
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 05:37:06 am »

Hey guys... me and my wife hit a store tonight and this is her costume for the ball. Feel free to comment and include helpful suggestions.

I know the photo kinda sucks with the bad lighting... but you get the gist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: