The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 25, 2019, 12:52:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire at the Glasgow School of Art  (Read 1813 times)
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 23, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

One of the greatest art nouveau/arts and crafts buildings is on fire. I just hope that they can save most of it. I feel a bit ill watching it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27541883

~A~
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

This is horrible.  There have been other cases of historic buildings basically burning to the ground and being rebuilt (Windsor Castle being a case in point- there was another I was thinking of, but d**ned if I can remember where it was), but that's hardly the point.  Even if rebuilt as it was before the fire, it won't be the same- there looks to be a lot of original fabric either lost or rendered irreparable. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:39:24 pm »

The loss of the library is the main casualty. As you say, it can never be the same library with all its years of being lived in. Hopefully the stone shell can be salvaged and restored.

I feel for the students too, so close to finals. I am glad I work in the digital world with my many many backups.

~A~
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:52:34 pm »

Seems "a projector exploded in the basement" which started the fire. From the description of events, it could only have been the bulb exploding. If so, it could be bad regarding insurance claims - that type of failure generally only happens when the lamp unit is used well beyond it's intended number of hours of running. Projectors have built in 'bulb life' hour meters for a reason...   Undecided  An exploding lamp unit is capable of turning the projector unit into small chunks, and sends white hot shards of quartz glass flying at high speed in all directions.

UHP projector lamps operate under very high pressure conditions of 200-250 bar (over 197 Atmospheres, or 2,900 PSI !!) and at high temperature, around 1000 deg C at the bulb surface (actual arc temperature is hotter than the surface of the Sun!)

Now imagine what that would do if ruptured while operating...  Lips sealed

Insurance company will likely claim it was "negligence and "lack of propper maintenance" as the sole cause. This is going to be a multimillion Pound claim, the insurance company will be looking to claw back all it can, believe me!

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:52 pm »

Lets hope the council, doesn't decide to build an ugly monstrosity in it's place.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »

I think the architects would riot. Every one I know loves that building. My mum can't even talk about the fire, it pains her so much.

~A~
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:37:21 pm »

Some good news. They reckon over 90% of the structure is viable and over 70% of the contents. With love and attention we will see it back to its former glory in time.

~A~
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:55:43 am »

Lets hope the council, doesn't decide to build an ugly monstrosity in it's place.

Scottish Grade A listed (equivalent to English Grade I listing).  Any such proposal would most likely unite the Victorian Society, C20 society (both of whom have to be consulted with schemes involving 'buildings of note' built between 1837 and the 1960s), English Heritage and Historic Scotland against it.  It (almost certainly) won't pan out like that. 

Some good news. They reckon over 90% of the structure is viable and over 70% of the contents. With love and attention we will see it back to its former glory in time.

~A~

Let's hope that's true.  Depends upon the type of stone used in construction- lime mortar for instance is made partly by subjecting limestone to excessive heat (like in a fire....) If the stone has been subjected to thermal stress it will have expanded, probably have spalled (lost it's surface finish) or even cracked.  The structure may survive at the moment but will need careful examination to make sure it's still sound. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

As an addendum, I for one am keeping an eye out for a post-fire rebuilding appeal, definitely deserves supporting if one is opened. 
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »

Let's hope that's true.  Depends upon the type of stone used in construction- lime mortar for instance is made partly by subjecting limestone to excessive heat (like in a fire....) If the stone has been subjected to thermal stress it will have expanded, probably have spalled (lost it's surface finish) or even cracked.  The structure may survive at the moment but will need careful examination to make sure it's still sound. 

Brick would be buggered, but stone tends to fair quite well with heat. It's the thermal shock from the cold water that is the problem...  Undecided

Chances are, the walls are thick enough that external heat damage is minimal (mostly confined to above windows / doors), while the interior stonework can be replaced / repaired easily without affecting the visual æsthetics of the building.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »

*working with some high-end A/V gear for the past dozen years, I have seen a rare few fairly new bulbs 'go off' way before time. They were self contained events, but I've seen one go without major incident(it popped), but it may be possible.  Undecided
All were deemed as bulb-manufacturer defects.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »

As an addendum, I for one am keeping an eye out for a post-fire rebuilding appeal, definitely deserves supporting if one is opened. 

Likewise I'll donate aswell.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »

Found on the GSA website:

http://www.gsa.ac.uk/support-gsa/how-to-support/mackintosh-building-fire-fund/

~Addendum~ donated and bookmarked. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:52:32 pm by James Harrison » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »

Donated as well. Given how much support I saw on twitter yesterday hopefully it won't take them long to reach their target.
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »

There are so few genuine ars nouveau buildings in the UK - Arts & Crafts is not quite the same. Most of the big Victorian cities did their civic building schemes mid century. Such a great shame - it's on my list of places to visit sometime, somewhen...

It'll be an expensive restoration job

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
Jules82
Swab

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:15 am »

I really feel for the students who lost work, some things just can't be saved digitally, so frustrating. I write and would be so upset if Ilost some of my work, luckily it's all backed up.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 04:16:53 am »

Glasgow fire: Art school's Mackintosh building ravaged

A large fire has broken out at the Glasgow School of Art for the second time in four years.

Flames and plumes of smoke engulfed the world-renowned Mackintosh building in the city centre.

Nearby buildings have been evacuated as fire crews tackle the blaze, which spread "in the space of a few minutes" when it started just around 23:15 BST.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said no casualties had been reported. BBC (c) 2018

I think that some one has a vested interest in getting rid of the School to build a block of posh flats.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:21:48 am by Mercury Wells » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 06:04:56 pm »

It was barely finished since the last time  Cry

It's the people who've put their hearts, souls, time and effort into restoring it that I feel very sorry for, it is absolutely heartbreaking. 

Here's the appeal page
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 11:55:32 pm »

It is an absolute tragedy, and it had crossed my mind that for it to happen twice in just a few years does look a tad suspicious, although in reality it's probably just a terrible coincidence. I hope something can be salvaged from the conflagration.

Yours,
Miranda.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 05:55:32 pm »

Bad news. http://gsapress.blogspot.com/2018/06/statement-from-glasgow-school-of-art-on.html

The detailed visual assessment shows that damage to the Mackintosh Building is significantly greater than had initially been anticipated from ground visual assessment and the data from the drone and scanning footage which were undertaken last week.

The areas of significant concern are the east elevation, the west elevation and sections of the south elevation. The plan of works will involve Reigart undertaking extensive down takings and potential structural bracing.

Due to the condition of the Mackintosh Building this work will be undertaken in a highly controlled way to minimise any potential risk of failure and be sufficient to achieve structural stability of the Mackintosh Building.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: