The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2019, 06:26:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fullmetal Alchemist  (Read 2938 times)
Crow
Gunner

« on: March 07, 2007, 08:45:30 pm »

I'm slightly amazed that this series hasn't been mentioned here before (and Last exile for that matter), I've noticed quite a few steam elements in the series, Automail, steam powered rifles (at least I think they are steam powered), and the majority of the technology shown in the movie (especially ed's arm and leg).
for that matter wouldn't alchemy fit in well with steampunk? granted it would make inventing things really easy if you had the proper ammounts of whatever you're trying to create.

so anyone elce notice these things, or am I just crazy?

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
- The Wasteland,T.S. Eliot
PhilanderKitchingham
Gunner
Finland Finland

Piencake. The flagship of technology.

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:06:22 pm »

Aye, ye have a good point thar.

"I'm absolutely positive this won't work, but I'm going to do it anyway."

"Four Gods wait on the windowsill / Where once eight Gods did war and will / And if the Gods themselves may die / What does that say for you and I?"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:41:36 pm »

Yay, and is a damn good series

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
PhilanderKitchingham
Gunner
Finland Finland

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:25 pm »

Liked the movie, too, I did.
ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:02:32 pm »

That series is amazing. I've watched through it many times, as well as the movie. It truly is amazing. As well as the use of alchemy.

Professor Delphinius S. Tucker
Professor of Technological Masteries, Religion, and History.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:14:57 pm »

I've heard some rumblings about this series, but have yet to check it out...
Steampunk AND alchemy? Sounds great.
Any recommendations on whether it would be better to start with the series or the movie? Huh

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:53:32 pm »

I enjoy the series as well, but to me, the ultimate in "magical steampunk" is still "Sakura Wars"

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
PhilanderKitchingham
Gunner
Finland Finland

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:58:11 pm »

Any recommendations on whether it would be better to start with the series or the movie? Huh
Series, because the movie is based on events that happen AFTER the series. Tongue
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:44:52 am »

I enjoy the series as well, but to me, the ultimate in "magical steampunk" is still "Sakura Wars"

Sakura Taisen is also very good, I was eventually going to do a list of steampunk animes though I'll have to think on some of them, Trigun is more retro-futurism, but um...yeah.

MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 03:06:34 am »

Well, Last Exile HAS been mentioned in the Movies & TV thread...FMA is a good series, and I too, am surprised no one's mentioned it.
(I'm surprised I didn't mention it!)

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:11:48 pm »

I really enjoy "Full Metal Alchemist," though the influence feels a little more Edwardian than Victorian to me. I think that turning a form of magic into a bureaucracy is... dead on.  Grin

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
rollerboi
Officer

Subaquatic Alchemical Inquisitor

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 03:01:56 pm »

I just found this thread; I have loved Full Metal Alchemist for some time now.

The series focuses on the alchemical elements of Edward and Al's world, and is very enjoyable. There is decidedly less steampunk influence, although we do have a delightful female mechanic who works on Ed's biomechanical arm.

The movie, "Conqueror of Shambala," is absolutely great. It takes place in what looks to be the early 1930's or 1940's, but there is a LOT of steam influence. I love how they translate Ed's arm over to a mechanical prosthesis. Alchemy is gone in this world... or is it?

Both are great, although it is strongly recommended to have the background of the series before watching the movie. It'll just make more sense and have more personal meaning.

"Release the penguins."
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 09:07:18 pm »

Both are great, although it is strongly recommended to have the background of the series before watching the movie. It'll just make more sense and have more personal meaning.

Not to mention if you watch the movie first, you may be spoiling about half the series for yourself, if that's something you're worried about. (I know I am!)

Na ja, as far as personal meaning goes. Without saying much, the series has an excellent ending, I think, but still leaves you wanting in some areas, which are resolved in the wonderful movie. Plus, I think certain elements of the movie were complete fan pandering. (I saw the movie at the maybe second or third ever screening of the dub last Otakon, in a large room full of rabid fans. You notice these things. ^^)

Great series though. Probably is one of my favorites.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
Demosthenes
Snr. Officer

Resident Atompunk

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 10:56:22 pm »

So, nobody noticed the steam powered cars?

"I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House — with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
“Kerplach” = “Guv’nah!”
PhilanderKitchingham
Gunner
Finland Finland

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:16:26 pm »

So, nobody noticed the steam powered cars?
I did. I mean, how can you NOT notice them?
Magneon
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 06:11:39 pm »

Full Metal Alchemist is definitely a must watch for any steam or anime fan. It has made me appreciate both far more than I did previously. Watch the show, then watch the movie, then watch the show again Wink. That's just the way it works Smiley

I would argue that alchemy and steam technology were very closely related. Both were on the edges of plausibility and required knowledge and ingenuity. Unfortunately for the alchemists, their efforts have been largely disregarded (although without them we wouldn't have materials science and chemistry) as pseudo-cult like bumblings by madmen.
</spiel>
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 09:55:16 pm »

I still say it's a good series, the movie has more of the traditional steampunk that everyone recognizes at first, but the series itself is very steampunk (seriously just because it dosent take place in victorian england it automatically isn't steampunk?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: