The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 08:16:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leatherwork-Requests and Hard to Find Items  (Read 1162 times)
Dirt Leatherworks
Swab

United States United States

« on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »

Hello all,

I am a professional leather worker and theater/film prop designer based in the United States.

Some recent success has left me with the ability to expand my business.  I have always wanted to get into designing and crafting costume items for the Steam Punk community and now have plans to do exactly that.

I have a question for all of you (if I may be so bold).
I'm sure the market is flooded with goggles, top hats etc... so I am wondering what are some items that you may have always wanted but just simply can't find anywhere?  Are there any specific desirable pieces that are mysteriously absent from the market place?  Or even are there any specific styles of already popular items that you want but can't find?  If so, hopefully I can fill that void and help some of you look great (or greater) in the process.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I'd love to hear your ideas! I'll also take any other strange or exotic leather related requests if you have them.

Please feel free to message me with any specific requests, comments or inquiries.

Thanks everybody!

-Andy
Dirt Leatherworks
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »

Leather aviator's helmets, in the style used around the time of the first world war.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:48:12 am »

As you said, the market is pretty saturated - just look around on Etsy

One one hand there will always be a (small) market for high-quality, elaborate gear - you won't sell high volume, but at least you could make a decent margin on your products to make it worth your time and effort.

On the other hand, what I think is absent from the market are reasonable quality products at a price point that is affordable to a larger audience. You'll just have to run some calculations to make sure it's sill profitable.

For example, as much as I'd like some AtomeFabrik brass/leather goggles, I really can not justify spending 120GBP (150EUR / 200USD) on a pair of goggles that I'll only use when going to cons.. When I browse Etsy for more affordable goggles, say in the $50 to $75 range, the offerings are fairly crap. I refuse to wear badly painted plastic welding goggles with perhaps a few shitty watch parts glued on. Not going to happen. As a result, I've been goggle-less for years now. Some well-made, stylish leather goggles (no need for brass) at an affordable price point would be nice..

I think one of the problems you'll run into is the military surplus gap.. a lot of accessories out there, such as (ammo)belts, pouches, holsters, map cases, bags, etc. can either be custom-made for $$$$ or found at surplus stores for $.. I think your best bet is to come up with whimsical, unique designs to set your work apart, or to take on custom work to clients specifications..
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:04:29 am »

Leather aviator's helmets, in the style used around the time of the first world war.

From looking at Gibson-Barnes "Open Cockpit Helmets", I'd say that they are a very similar shape to the arming cap sold by Get Dressed for Battle.

From that, I'd say that it should be quite simple to make for yourself, so long as you can find the leather and that you're prepared to put in the work. Certainly much simpler than making goggles.

--
Keith
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »

Do you have a shop or portfolio? I'm interested to learn more. If you ever need it, I can model in something you made for promotion?
Let me know what you think^^

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:16:20 am »

From looking at Gibson-Barnes "Open Cockpit Helmets", I'd say that they are a very similar shape to the arming cap sold by Get Dressed for Battle.

From that, I'd say that it should be quite simple to make for yourself, so long as you can find the leather and that you're prepared to put in the work. Certainly much simpler than making goggles.

That's pretty much what I was talking about. If you can undercut their $75 price, you've got a product.
Jacen Katarr
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »

How hard/ expensive would it be to do a piece like this? http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/01/bb/d201bba79347583713e17826c2153b4e.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: