The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 06:52:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helena G. Wells Wardrobe Raid  (Read 5133 times)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« on: May 11, 2014, 01:38:54 am »

There was once discussion of a spinoff of the tv show 'Warehouse 13,' in which the character of H. G. Wells, -- Helena G. Wells, that is -- was to be in charge of a Victorian branch called Warehouse 12.  Alas, it came to naught, and Warehouse 13 has been cancelled.  But H. G. Wells' wardrobe has been auctioned off.  Some of it has been cut into tiny pieces and sold like relics of the saints' robes, but other outfits have been sold complete.  A person with the means could be mightily tempted to buy one.  

Sigh.  And that is not counting the things she wore in the Victorian flashbacks.  The auction is ongoing on VIP fan auctions, and includes many fascinating props, artifacts, Tesla guns and time travel devices.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:44 am »

Lovely outfits! Good inspiration...  Wink

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »

Pity.

(Both the show cancellation, the non-begun spin-off, and the destruction of the costuming.)
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:16:40 am »

Agree... cutting up the costumes. Sad

I'm going to guess I' m not the only one sorely disappointed with the final episode either.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:18:39 am »

More!

A long leather duster coat, and Victorian boots.  Magnificent.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:22:43 am »

Hmm. . . It doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to turn a couple pairs of thrift store high heels and boots, into boots like those.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »

Digging the coats. Smiley
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

How about this one, too!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »

And a very nice vest; note the lapels.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 08:49:39 pm »

I've seen boots like that in one or two shops this year.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:40:57 pm »

More!

This is awesome!

Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 04:33:04 am »

How about this one, too!

*Drools* ^.^  That lacing would be fairly easy to add on.... now to find the right jacket to modify.... squee
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »

Cutting up the costumes to sell tiny squares of material is absurd. Yes it allows more people to have something from the series but they should know it's a bad idea to 'mess with artifacts' like that. Surely there were plenty of smaller props she used such as the cosmetics on her dresser etc that people unable to buy a full outfit could afford.

Having had my rant thank you for posting the pictures of some of the clothes, not what I'd be able to get away wearing (would clash with my beard) but I am do think her 'grappler' is a good bit of kit and plan to make something similar for my adventurers.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:00 pm »

Here is some lucky person's basic Halloween costume -- if they have the nerve to wear the hat!
thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 05:14:09 am »

the cynic in me suspects that the chopping up of items is a economic move.

by reducing the number of intact garments you increase there value and the total sale price of the patches could exceed the price of the total item (especially before the rarity was increased).

alternatively (or additionally) they could be chopping up garments that where damaged or of inferior quality (vest with lost buttons, shirt with bad rear hem hidden under coat on set).

i doubt the true motivation has anything to do with giving more people an opportunity to own something.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:11 am »

These garments, as auctioned, are intact and in good condition.  They are the work of talented production designers and are often custom made, and it is such a shame to see them shredded instead of being worn by cosplay enthusiasts or appreciated in entertainment museums or collections.

I remember seeing a bolt of the green velour material used for the strange wraparound shirt made for Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series up for auction  on eBay.  (That was when his embonpoint became a little too great for the earlier pyjama-type shirt.)  Someone bought it and cut it up into one-inch squares, framed it with a picture of Kirk wearing it, and made a fortune.  At least it was just a large piece of material made into tiny pieces.
Helena G. Wells
Deck Hand
France France

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 05:36:59 pm »

More!

It's very elegant !

I'm french, my english isn't good, sorry...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 06:54:18 pm »

Cutting up the costumes to sell tiny squares of material is absurd. Yes it allows more people to have something from the series but they should know it's a bad idea to 'mess with artifacts' like that. Surely there were plenty of smaller props she used such as the cosmetics on her dresser etc that people unable to buy a full outfit could afford.

The practice comes from sports collectibles. The trading cards manufacturers make special trading cards hat contain pieces from the players' uniforms so that you could buy packs of cards and, with a little luck, own a piece of history. It is not an uncontroversial practice; there was an instance where the only known pair of shin guards from a famous historic hockey goalie were destroyed for trading cards, and some hockey historians were quite upset.

Anyway, the practice spread from sports cards to movie and TV trading cards. Somewhere I have cards with pieces of Batman's cape and slivers of rubber from the tumbler Batmobile's oversize tires. They went through a lot of capes and tires filming those movies, so it wasn't a major loss to history.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 10:55:38 pm »

Alan Bean, who of course was one of the Apollo astronauts, includes traces of moondust and materials from the spacecraft into his paintings - http://www.alanbean.com/moondust.cfm

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S.

More!

It's very elegant !

Welcome to the forum! I have to agree - at some point I'm going to try my hand at making something like those boots.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:02:03 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »

Alan Bean, who of course was one of the Apollo astronauts, includes traces of moondust and materials from the spacecraft into his paintings - http://www.alanbean.com/moondust.cfm

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S.

More!

It's very elegant !

Welcome to the forum! I have to agree - at some point I'm going to try my hand at making something like those boots.

That will probably mean a similar process to making spats, and finding shoes that are suitable for attachment...

Helena G. Wells
Deck Hand
France France

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 06:16:28 pm »

bonjour,

i'd like to be able to make shoes like that...

cordialement,
Helena G W
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:43:51 am »

I remember back in the late 60s or early 70s they had these sort of vinyl knee socks you could wear inside plain pumps that made it look like you had the stretch boots. I bet it wouldn't be too tricky to come up with something similar for Victorian. I've also seen a tutorial out there somewhere in German, on how to turn flats into I think it was Regency or mid-1860s boots by sewing on a top part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: