The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:48:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopping woven canvas from fraying  (Read 869 times)
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 29, 2014, 10:36:00 am »

My other half has a 1942 gas mask bag where the piece of canvas that holds the ring that attaches to the strap has frayed.  I removed the old one by unstitching it and she has replaced it using a piece of an old woven canvas strap doubled over that closely matched the original.  The issue now is that the two ends of this have the potental to fray, so how best to stop that?

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:18:23 am »

There is some stuff which you paint on called no fray but I would just use a blob of superglue or clear nail varnish.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:54 pm »

Ah yes nail varnish is a good call, thanks.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:32 pm »

I would use a paintbrush and paint on any white PVA glue that you happen to have.  Let it dry without touching anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: