The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 06:57:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small towns laughing stock :'(  (Read 3704 times)
MistyDawn
Gunner
United States United States

M. Chansamone
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:16:24 am »

Embarrassed
Is there anyone else out there who is constantly being laughed at and called "the crazy person" because of your lifestyle and fashion?? In this backwater town I stick out like a sore thumb. I have a steamed out wardrobe with tons of lockets, pocket watches, rings, earrings, etc... I wear corsets almost everyday. Frilly clothes with tons of lace and leather (like steampunkers do) and people laugh at me. There's only one place to get fabric here and that's Walmart. I went to buy lace and the clerk gave me an awkward eye and bravely stated, " Hell! Why u buy in more for?? Look like u got enough on to make curtains for a mansion! And what's wit all dem clocks I always sees ya wear in?? Can't u tell time with just a normal watch??" I held my high and replied, " A lady can never own enough lace. As for my 'clocks' I highly cherish time for there isn't enough to sustain any life. To take it for granted is to welcome death. Anyone ignorant enough to let it flutter by doesn't deserve its gift." She stood there with here mouth dropped. I gathered my fabric and walked away. Other people who watched the incident all began whispering to each other. The next day I get a visitor and first thing said was "I heard about you in church last night! You was raisin hell in wally world. How comes u ain't like normal folk? Ya knows they all think that yer some bad joke!"
I mean come on! Yeah I am the only person in my town that is steam punk but should I be an outcast for it?Huh Any words of advice or encouragement???
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:47:39 am »

They don't deserve your level of creativity.  Hang in there.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:56:24 am »

Don't let the small-minded folks get you down. It sounds like you're a good person. Just hold your head up high and live the life you want to live.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:06:23 pm »

Small towns/villages are the same the world over, especially those a long way from the sea and ports. Where I live has a population of 9,000 but pretty accommodating. We're all individuals and entitled to be treated as such.

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
L.Ferrous
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

Let them laugh. Return a wry smile, and be the classy woman. If they cannot appreciate your creativity, and your patronage for that matter, they are undeserving of your explanations. I personally love the idea of enough lace to make curtains for a mansion. I can only imagine the beauty you are fashioning it into. Cheers!

Lucinda Ferrous- when happiness is motivation, life is bliss.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »

Sounds like me when I was in high school. I got questioned about a LOT. It was what I liked and I was comfortable with my choices, they didn't have to like it if they didn't want to and I wouldn't tell them not to like it if they did.

Some people like ice cream, some like cake, I prefer cookies!

Some people like growing corn, I like growing my mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
ColeV
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

I got a lot of my courage to dress differently in high school from another girl who did so. She was so excited to see someone else not in jeans and a t-shirt and encouraging of me even though we had very different styles. I dressed neo-victorian for a while in college and it somehow even got back to my small home town that I was "goth". All sorts of concerned people were calling me about it. Hilarious! Just be yourself, enjoy it, and maybe you'll give inspiration to someone else to try something they've always wanted to but weren't brave enough.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »

Well, I didn't know about steampunk back when I was younger, but I was " the weird one" when I was in high school, and now, being forty something, all of the other parents of my kids' friends know me as "the creative one" or "the artistic one"...  It is not you who has the problem, but them, because they cannot see what amazing things you are bringing into being...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »

Headphones are a godsend even if they are hooked up to nothing.  They allow you to ignore what the asses are saying and go about your business.  A lot of them will just stop talking after a while because shouting at people who don't respond is boring but do keep a look out for those that want to take things up a level and know how to get yourself out if things go wrong. 

Me I like blasting happy bouncy music and pretending most of the outside world isn't there as I take my dolls out for pictures in the park or wear my new unicorn print skirt.  I have found that just staying in my odd clothes and walking like I belong there day after day has stopped most comments.  Heck I use a parasol as soon as it is warm enough to go without a jacket and I have had a few people ask where my umbrella is on days I dont have it.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »

In a small town, everyone knows your name and your business...but I digress. People will talk, regardless of anything, so as mentioned, if you have style, then that's all you need.

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde.
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »

Thank you everyone. Its been hard enough being the only person of Laotian decent here. To be considered a joke just insults my very being. Thank you for kind words.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:24:39 pm »

Sounds like you are suffering from a deficiency in russet neck coloring.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:10 pm »

Not only do I dress 'more formally' than most a lot of the time (especially at work which is now a free-for-all), but I have always liked classical music and I used to get a lot of stick because of that asa youngster. Nowadays, I am regarded the person to go to if you have questions because "He's the guy who knows a lot about..." even the youngsters in the local coffee shop (I'm in my 50s, so I was a teen in the 70s).

Just be true to yourself.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:56:03 pm »

Carry a nailbat.

Ever seen mundanes laugh at someone carrying a nailbat?

Just kidding.

Me, I get away with dressing weird by wearing bright purple armor, no one notices.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Nathan Kowalski
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:52:04 pm »

I would really like to dress in a manner that is less boring than I do now, but I am not sure how to do it without going over the top. Also, I am a bit shy offline and I am easily embarassed by drawing any kind of attention to myself.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »

Carry a nailbat.

Known in computing circles as a "cluestick": an impact tool used to impart clues to the clueless.

--
Keith
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:02 am »

Not only do I dress 'more formally' than most a lot of the time (especially at work which is now a free-for-all), but I have always liked classical music and I used to get a lot of stick because of that asa youngster. Nowadays, I am regarded the person to go to if you have questions because "He's the guy who knows a lot about..." even the youngsters in the local coffee shop (I'm in my 50s, so I was a teen in the 70s).

Just be true to yourself.

HA ha! That is one factor that rings very much true! Everyone laughs at me yet I have become everyone's personal secretary!! These poor souls cannot do a thing for themselves! I make it clear to them that I am indeed not a secretary and should be compensated for my mental labours. Yet they fret and pout and often whine, I cannot stand it! So, I do it to shut them up. It does give me more confidence though; in a sense.
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:58:38 am »

Sounds like you are suffering from a deficiency in russet neck coloring.

HA ha! My mothers side, clearly, is where the "redneck" fits in. Why I'm even stuck here to begin with. They turn their nose up at me and I avoid them altogether. Inbreeders. Truthfully. Scandalous.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:03:55 am »

"...Everyone laughs at me yet I have become everyone's personal secretary!! These poor souls cannot do a thing for themselves! I make it clear to them that I am indeed not a secretary and should be compensated for my mental labours. Yet they fret and pout and often whine, I cannot stand it! So, I do it to shut them up. It does give me more confidence though; in a sense."

And there's the added benefit of the knowledge that they have inadvertently given you power by doing so!

Be a magnanimous and just overlord.
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:06:29 am »

I would really like to dress in a manner that is less boring than I do now, but I am not sure how to do it without going over the top. Also, I am a bit shy offline and I am easily embarassed by drawing any kind of attention to myself.

Why be timid and shy? Be as extravagant as your heart desires! If your spirit isn't free then why be alive? That's the beauty so many fail to see or experience. Greet people you don't know and just listen to their story. It could change your life and theirs. It has mine on several occasions.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 01:09:07 am »

Why be timid and shy? Be as extravagant as your heart desires! If your spirit isn't free then why be alive? That's the beauty so many fail to see or experience. Greet people you don't know and just listen to their story. It could change your life and theirs. It has mine on several occasions.

Um, you can't just become extroverted, you know. The extroversin introversion difference is hard coded into the brain, not something you can switch off.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 01:15:06 am »

Its true. I have the same problem with wearing my steampunk clothes as everyday wear. That fear of being noticed or being called out on your clothing tastes is a pretty powerful demotivator for a lot of us, and not easily overcome.

Bte, I wonder if that Walmart employee mentioned in the OP would laugh as loudly if she were to take her business online?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:55 am »

I live in a small community thathas ben swallowed up, or nearly so, by a much larger city . This is Texas, so vests, oldtimdy clothes and pocket watches tend to get passed off easily as "cowboy" or "docent" wear. Unfortunately, I also suffer from a malady best described as Old-Time Music-itis, a condition which in my personal case involves excessive amounts of banjo and fife playing and a predilection to doing these things in public. Banjo players here are lovingly maligned here every bit as much as they are elsewhere... 'nuff said, probably. My point is some people just have tomake fun "or they'll blow their pants off," as an elderly relative once said.

Dressing like I do, and doing the activities that I'm involved in, tend to get me noticed and held up as a target for ridicule by those who thrive on such behavior. I have as a banjo player, a relatively thick skin, and I tend to pick back, as tbe local saying goes, so the outcomes tend to be somewhat different than they would be for someone who might be more sensitive to criticism,  but I can understand your discomfort, having not always had such a thick skin as I do now. It might help to remember that they are most likely picking on you just because tbey are less interesting than you are, and acutely feel the lack in themselves.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:12:13 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 02:06:12 am »

Well, I say let them laugh. At least I know I bring some form of happiness in another's sad little world.  Grin
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:04 am »

I'm sure you look absolutely amazing in your steamy garb! I only wear mine on occasion, mostly because being a stay at home mom to two boys doesnt lend itself to dressing up. I really enjoy it when I do it though!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: