The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamknits! The semi-official knitting thread!  (Read 2767 times)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« on: April 26, 2014, 02:47:46 am »

Yes, here it is! After conversation with missindigodarling, I've decided to start a thread for discussion of various steampunk, dieselpunk, and other retrofuturistic knits!

Let the knitting commence!

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer
United States United States

Adventuress

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 04:00:55 am »

Kieranfoy, I am so glad you started this thread!

One of the things I like about knitting is the versatility, the way different  weights of yarn or needles change the appearance of whatever you're making, and the fact that you can knit just about anything.  If you can read a knitting pattern, and have even just basic  knitting knowledge  there's a lot you can do. Knitted shawls, wraps, collars,fingerless gloves, hats, and scarves can really make your outfit. And sometimes, you just want to be warm!

There are a couple of pattern e books I've discovered which have some splendid projects:
 Doomsday Knits: Projects for the Apocalypse and After, by Alexandra Tinsley
 Needles and Artifice, by The Ladies of Mischief

Both are available from Cooperative Press.

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:28:19 am »

Hand knits look exceptionally  steampunk on infants and children
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:40:11 am »

Someone of my acquaintance  posted a photo of her little son wearing an aviator cap she'd knitted for him. He looked positively jaunty.

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:46:19 am »

Of course, Ravelry (the worlds largest knitting site) has quite a few explicitly steampunk patterns available, many of them free!

Wonderful things, they are.

Myself, I don't knit, mever been good at following patterns, but my mother loves it, and I'm rather enjoying experime ting with home dying the wool.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:18:30 am »

LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:49 pm »

This was my Steambear for last years Asylum

Her entire outfit is knitted except for the belt which is crocheted and the lace at her neck.

More Photos under the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She is Miss Evadne and she is not a violent bear, but she firmly believes that hunters will think twice is bears could shoot back.

Are the rest of you on Ravelry? - there is a steampunk group on there - http://www.ravelry.com/groups/steamy-stitches

I only started knitting and crochet (knitting came a year after I started crochet), after getting involved in steampunk and now I am sewing my own clothes as well.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »

This was my Steambear for last years Asylum

Her entire outfit is knitted except for the belt which is crocheted and the lace at her neck.

More Photos under the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She is Miss Evadne and she is not a violent bear, but she firmly believes that hunters will think twice is bears could shoot back.

Are the rest of you on Ravelry? - there is a steampunk group on there - http://www.ravelry.com/groups/steamy-stitches

I only started knitting and crochet (knitting came a year after I started crochet), after getting involved in steampunk and now I am sewing my own clothes as well.

She's adorable!
I like the colours you used for her gown. Did you felt her hat too?  And thank you so much for posting the group link. I just joined up.

I've been knitting for several years, am abysmal at crochet, (but I still keep on trying) and am also learning to sew, although that seems to me to be the most challenging of all. I have to admit  to having a penchant for fine lace shawls, and have made several of them so far. Another thing I like is knitting with beads. There's so much you can do with that, and it helps a lightweight shawl or garment drape nicely.

Kieranfoy, I was wondering if you were one of our wonderful knitting Gentlemen.  How are things coming with the wool dying?  I have several friends who actually make their living dying wool, they create such interesting things. Does your mum knit for you? I hope she does!
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »

She's adorable!
I like the colours you used for her gown. Did you felt her hat too?  And thank you so much for posting the group link. I just joined up.

No, its my mini topper , but I did make the goggles out of milk bottle lids and green plastic from a water bottle.

This is me on ravelry - http://www.ravelry.com/people/Asprin
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »

Well, missindigo, my dearest mother does indeed love knitting for me. I happen to be wearing my new pair of gloves right now!

Have a nice shade of green brown fingering weight wool drying!

EDIT: oooh, ravelry, I'm there too! http://www.ravelry.com/people/KnightoftheMoon
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

Well, missindigo, my dearest mother does indeed love knitting for me. I happen to be wearing my new pair of gloves right now!

Have a nice shade of green brown fingering weight wool drying!

EDIT: oooh, ravelry, I'm there too! http://www.ravelry.com/people/KnightoftheMoon

I'd love to see what those gloves look like..... Wink
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:45 pm »

Oh, they're just a pair of these: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gandalf-mitts
In a hard wearing black.

Most of my favorite knits are plain. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jraltonsmith/basic-glove-pattern-3

Wore the original so much in the space of a month they look like they survived the apocalypse!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:03:59 pm by Kieranfoy » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »

Yay... knitting. Another knitter here.

This is my ravelry profile: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Catenoid. It is rather empty because I haven't sorted out all my projects yet.

~A~
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:41:57 am »

I'm glad to see other knitters here!
Kieranfoy, thank you  for linking that pattern. I just added it to my library, and I like those gloves your mother made. She does excellent work. Getting the fingers in exactly the  right places isn't easy, even if they're only partial fingers. The first set of gloves I made (fingers complete) came out looking more than a little bit peculiar because I was off just a bit on that. Wearable and warm, but not a showpiece by any means.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 01:06:09 am »

Well, there's always the sort of gloves that have no fingers at all.

I've dyed a rather nice mostly dark brown with a touch of green dye (named tobacco by mum) that'll be knitted into a pair of the Gandalf mitts sometime in the nexr week or two. Lovely design, essentially a tube with a hole for the thumb, allows you to use them as glove or arm warmer, and easy to make!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »

There are classic  and well tested patterns from yesteryear on here.

http://freevintageknitting.com/

Duncan tartan weskit

mary lou babt set

daisy culotte suit
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:38:17 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:31:06 pm »

That's a great link. Thanks for posting it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: