The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 07:00:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronos Gothic Arm  (Read 1432 times)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« on: April 23, 2014, 06:14:34 am »

Presenting the Chronos Gothic Arm full leather armour from Wolfs Crafts. Featuring fully connected bicep, elbow and forearm protection, all depicting the essence of Chronos' power, Time itself.

Kindest regards, Raven

Haybuzz
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:17 am »

That is awesome! How do you get markings (such as the time ones on this piece) on the leather? Something I've always wondered and never known :S
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:08 pm »

These are airbrushed using a stencil - this one http://thescrapbookstore.com.au/crafters-workshop/12-x12-templates/the-crafters-workshop-12x12-template-time-travel.html

I've been using stencils a lot since I finally managed to persuade the wife I needed a compressor Tongue
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »

Does the paint wear off in use?
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:30 pm »

This was done in leather dye so unless you scratch it badly enough to go through a fair layer of leather then it shouldn't wear off at all Smiley
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:14:04 pm »

Can you straighten your arm fully wearing that? I love the design but I always worry about the practicality of cowters.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:48:33 am »

Yes, this one has full movement range, The elbow cop attaches to the upper and lower armpieces through the use of 2 internal pieces which give good range of movement and allow for fully straight to fully bent arms. The edges of the upper and lower armpieces where they meet the cop have also been curled up to prevent any possible hangups on the cop
Haybuzz
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:19:01 am »

Sorry, I missed replying to your reply (I have a bad habit of meaning to reply to things... text messages, e-mails... the lot!)

Airbrushing with stencils sounds fun Cheesy Although I am imagining a bit of a mess with dyes involved if you're not extra-careful :S
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 10:36:50 pm »

How exactly did you get such a smooth application of dye? All my efforts have been somewhat blotchy.

It's not where you're from, it's wear your hat.

- Mr B
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »

I feel your pain! I eventually managed to convince my wife that we should get a compressor and managed to find one on Gumtree for $30. That and a cheap airbrush means no more splotchy dye jobs.

Aside from that, the best applicator I found was a sponge brush from the art stores. Depending on the type of dye you use you need to prep the hide differently as well. Spirit based dyes are quite easy, lightly case the leather (casing is wetting the leather enough to tool it, not wet but cold to the touch and almost back to its original colour) the apply the dye. The moisture in the leather assists in drawing the dye in in a more uniform and even coat. Should work for water based dyes too, but for oil based dyes I don't have an answer, I've never used them.
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:11:31 am »

Ah, that would do the job nicely. Just one more reason that I should really get an airbrush (my other hobby being miniatures painting) For my projects I used much the same as your sponge technique, with a rag instead. The thing with water based dyes is that even with cased leather, the surface fluid is very quickly absorbed and leaves tide marks necessitating extremely quick application. Thank you for the reply. Smiley
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »

Ah, that would do the job nicely. Just one more reason that I should really get an airbrush (my other hobby being miniatures painting) For my projects I used much the same as your sponge technique, with a rag instead. The thing with water based dyes is that even with cased leather, the surface fluid is very quickly absorbed and leaves tide marks necessitating extremely quick application. Thank you for the reply. Smiley

Show us your mini's!!
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 11:09:31 pm »

Here's my blog, but we do seem to be getting a little off topic...
Lepidoptera
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 05:38:10 am »

Well, Steampunk is a lot about Making Stuff, and your blog is about Making Stuff (nice Santa, by the way). I suppose you could combine them by making some Steampunk Space Marines or something...
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 01:26:45 am »

I have some dinosaur hunters (and dinosaurs for them to hunt), but no camera at the moment...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: