The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 06:31:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New outfit - well a beginning!  (Read 1712 times)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:05 am »

Just received a new pair of high waisted trousers and a tailcoat today so I had to give them a spin. They are from a new supplier my wife was looking into for decent fancy dress outfits (we used to run an online store selling costumes) and they emailed a while back with their new range. I saw these and had to get them Smiley Might even get the old website going with these to stock!

I only bought the bowler hat at Supanova a week or 2 back, the shirt and braces are from charity shops. I need to put together the rest of the outfit now, this was just the 'do they fit?' trial run, and they are awesome. I want more! Do you think the wife will accept, "But they're samples hon! For the business!"

Kindest regards, Raven

Heckler
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:20 am »

Fall fronted trousers, very nice and the tail coat is particularly spiffing.

Also nice to see them in another colour than black.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:09 am »

Yes, it's a great jacket. I think they designed it for here though, it's wonderfully lightweight (unlined) which you need when you're in full panoply and it's high 30's out. The trousers are something I've been looking for for ages but you just never see them here in Australia. The fall front hides a button and zip but I don't mind, it makes it a fraction easier to go loo lol and you don't see the modern closure at all.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:36 pm »

I have a thing about trouser hems.  Do you think that yours need taking up a little?
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »

Very, very nice tropical weight Steampunk look.  You can wear that and look interesting in that color and cut without the gothic blackness that looks so wrong in a hot climate.  I like the trousers over the tops of the shoes, myself.  How about a different hat?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:30:33 pm by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:32:34 am »

I always have trouble with trouser hems. I'm a 30" inside leg and 99% of all off-the-shelf trousers are in 32" IL. Only Levis and Wrangler did jeans in my size when I was younger and I could never afford them!

The hat was not bought for this outfit but it's the first time I've had a chance to wear it for pics. I have a tan leather top hat I made which will go better. I only got the bowler a week before these arrived. Nearly did get the brown too, but the wife said "No, get the black, it goes with more!"
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:51:07 pm »

Very nice! There is no greater service to the male shape than high-waisted trousers.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of iron-on hemming tape - being completely incapable of sewing a straight line myself, it's quicker and cheaper than taking things to the tailor.
(Also feel that your chosen color palette has a bit of a Mal Reynolds vibe. Dapper in dun!)

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:21 am »

very smart
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:01:52 am »

Looks absolutely fantastic, just goes to show that you do not need to wear all black, (although I do have a penchant for the Gothic). As for the hems, could you not just get a pair of high topped boots, and tuck the bottom of the trousers into them?

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:29 pm »

Looks good - I need a 'warmer weather' outfit as I don't think a dark grey frock coat is very 'summery'! Inside leg measurements are an issue with 'off the peg' trousers. I am 28.5". One UK high street vendor sells 29/31/33 which has always been good, until the fashion for wearing trousers around your knees arrived... However, "fashion" retailers seem to think that men are all 6' 2" tall with a 34" or 36" inside leg measurement - you cannot sensibly shorten trousers that are that far out as they will look ridiculous.

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 03:34:14 pm »

Just measured the inside leg on the trousers and the seam is 30" from crotch to hem.
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »

That looks great!
I also like the look of the trouser hems. A bit longer always prevents the dreaded sock exposure upon sitting, which can look a bit peculiar, and not in a good way. Unless you have some stellar showpiece socks you're desiring to show off.  I like the way the outfit looks like ordinary daywear. It's possible that your wife could be persuaded to accept the "It's samples for the business", if you hedge your bets and buy her something too!

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 06:09:29 pm »

That looks great!
I also like the look of the trouser hems. A bit longer always prevents the dreaded sock exposure upon sitting, which can look a bit peculiar, and not in a good way.

This.

I would probably shorten those a touch, but not much, maybe an inch or so.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 06:16:36 pm »

That looks great!
I also like the look of the trouser hems. A bit longer always prevents the dreaded sock exposure upon sitting, which can look a bit peculiar, and not in a good way.

This.

I would probably shorten those a touch, but not much, maybe an inch or so.

I've had horrifying experience with such phenomena, and it causes one's self confidence to wilt like  a jonquil in a late frost. 
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:16 am »

Sock exposure has always been the bane of my existence.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:52 pm »

Sock exposure has always been the bane of my existence.

The only solution I can see is longer trouser hems, or  knickers and fabulous socks.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:03 am »

My wife and I in our outfits yesterday Smiley

Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 01:40:55 am »

You both look great!  And your wife looks so pretty in blue. It's a very nice colour on her.
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »

I agree--what a charming photograph of you both.  What is especially effective is the way your possibles bags are a unifying theme.  I am drawn in particular to your invention of rigging that bag like a blaster holster. Overall this is a perfect capture of yourselves as charming couple, and your skill in leathercraft.  Well done!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 09:30:38 pm »

Indeed, you guys look great! Your wifes hat is amazing. Smiley

As for the sock problem, I always have had the urge to pick up a nice pair of argyles.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:13 am »

The bag holster is an interchangeable design too Smiley the impossibles pouch is a belt pouch, I made the holster rig with a flap to take anything with a belt loop. It secures with a snap/press stud for easy changeovers Cheesy (Feel free to use the idea, I first saw the pouch rig design on pinterest, this is my version. I will be selling them once I've worked the bugs out, like the leg strap is a pain right now, thinking of going part elastic.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: