The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2021, 04:12:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A macabre but true story from the victorian age  (Read 1266 times)
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:18 am »

I saw this on the BBC news site and thought it might interest my friends here - a macabre Victorian story of a dying wish, ebony boxes containing body parts and a dutiful daughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26784493

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:52 am »

there are indeed  some very macabre Victorian funereal practices
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:09:54 pm »

Eyebrow raising as though it may be, I actually thought it was very nice.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
CaptainMonty
Deck Hand

Ships might Fly

CaptAMB
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »

I saw this on the BBC news site and thought it might interest my friends here - a macabre Victorian story of a dying wish, ebony boxes containing body parts and a dutiful daughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26784493

Rather interesting story. Good job she found the remains in the end!

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

Burying someones heart seperate from their body used to be surprisingly common Several 'National Heroes' have their heart buried at a special place (I believe there are one or two in Westminster Abbey), The hands and feet make this more unusual.
The most 'gruesome' case I've heard of was when someone found a heart shaped silver box while metal detecting. From the inscription and size it had contained the heart of a child, presumably the parent wanted their child's heart to be with them after they died.
There are even a few cases of people having it in their will that they be embalmed and kept in their former home after death which were carried out. One widowers second wife objected to the presence of his first in the house for what would today be seen as very good reasons.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:54:23 am »

That it the woman died in Indiana reminded me of something.

In some notes about my ancestors in Lafayette, Indiana, my grandmother had noted that there was a Mr. George Stein, who died around the turn of the century, who was not buried but instead permanently lied in state at the Soler-Baker Funeral Home in Lafayette.

Mr. Stein was a German immigrant who has specified that, upon his death, his next of kin in Germany was to be contacted for burial instructions. No relative was found, so his preserved body was never buried.

During my Freshman year at Purdue in Lafayette, I called the funeral home and asked if Mr. George Stein was there, and the person that answered the phone, without a second's pause, replied "yes he is".

I had not expected such a quick response to my prank call, and, unable to think of a snappy response, I thanked the funeral home employee and said goodby. If I'd had a quicker wit I might have asked to speak to him, or ask to give him a message that his suit was ready. I suspect that, with the college nearby, the funeral home probably fielded a lot of phone calls for Mr. Stein.

A few years ago I searched the web and found a mention that Mr. Stein's body was no longer displayed, but no specific explanation was given for his removal from the public eye.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: