The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 07:20:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Aquariums: The Ocean At Home  (Read 9077 times)
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« on: March 19, 2014, 01:56:47 am »

My Dear Fellows,
It suddenly occurred to me - you know how it does - that antique aquariums, whether grand Victorian tourist attractions such as the one at Brighton,
or smaller domestic metal fish tanks, might be a secret source of the Steampunk aesthetic. So also might be old aquarium ornaments, like divers.

There is an absolutely fascinating account of the Brighton Aquarium in Peter Lovesey's purest Steampunk novel "Mad Hatter's Holiday". . . . involving the crocodile exhibit.
What do you think?
C.W.
P.S. This article says they were the television of the Victorian drawing room: http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/When-the-aquarium-was-a-novelty-Victorian-fish-2561206.php
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:10:48 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:30:49 am »

Just avoid this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/18/t-rex-cafe-fish-tank-bursts_n_4983530.html

Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:41 am »

Ah. Another thing to worry about in the middle of the night.
C.W.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:04:09 am »

I just asked about aquariums recently to try my hand at aquascaping. a 35L tank kit costs a good $400. I hate to think what the increase would be to have the tank framed in a decorative Victorian style structure.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:18:52 am »

My Dear Chironex,
I see you are in Australia. There is a Free Google e-book, an issue of 'The Victorian Review' (1882) with an article called "An Aquarium for Melbourne," discussing the feasibility of building one for Melbourne or St. Kilda.
Of course, Australia is huge, and I don't know where you live. I wonder if the Aquarium was ever built.
C.W.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:21:26 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 02:59:09 am »

Townsville.

There is one here but it isn't steamy looking.
http://www.reefhq.com.au/

There's AN aquarium in Melbourne...
http://www.melbourneaquarium.com.au/
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:02 am »

I just asked about aquariums recently to try my hand at aquascaping. a 35L tank kit costs a good $400. I hate to think what the increase would be to have the tank framed in a decorative Victorian style structure.

I'm guessing from that price you're considering a marine nanoreef.

There are much cheaper options than buying something off-the-shelf if that is your intent.  And it would be easier to add SP embellishments to a cheap, square cornered tank than the typical curved commercial nano tank.  If the tank is square-cornered with flat panes it's easier to add frames around the base structure.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:35 pm »

There are more things that could go wrong. I used to have a small aquarium with an open top. One night, one of the goldfish decided to commit suiside by jumping out of the water. Next morning, I went pass the aquarium (bare feet) and SQUISH!  Tongue

Back on topic. I've heared that some aquarium builders use Fimo clay to create the interiour.
I love the aquarium with the candles!

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 02:30:00 pm »

My Dear Miss Wingnut,

It had not occurred to me that Victorians would have built  aquariums as magnificent pieces of furniture. But why not , this would be so in keeping with the Victorian ethos.  I had foolishly assumed that  aquaria would have been confined to  out door  ponds,  indoor conservatory and green house scenery.

One could utilise a vintage plan to design a wonderful steampunk aquarium centre piece or wall  decor .

this may be showing off a little too much  to have in one's own home.

http://www.zoochat.com/1337/koi-pool-victorian-baths-matlock-bath-130333/

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:32:28 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »

My aspiration is to have a front room  or foyer that would accommodate and facilitate this grand  inspired  instillation theme

chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 03:17:47 am »

There are much cheaper options than buying something off-the-shelf if that is your intent.  And it would be easier to add SP embellishments to a cheap, square cornered tank than the typical curved commercial nano tank.  If the tank is square-cornered with flat panes it's easier to add frames around the base structure.

I asked about using a different tank and buying the other components separately (the kit in question is probably not for marine use) but there wouldn't be much saving if I simply got a different tank, using a chemical method to impregnate the water with CO2 would give vastly inferior results, as would using a different substrate. The seller I spoke to aquascapes, and had to scale the system up (she has a much bigger tank).
andiS
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:08 am »

The entrance to the aquarium at Bristol Zoo, while not really steampunk, has a lovely art nouveaux aesthetic
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »

The entrance to the aquarium at Bristol Zoo, while not really steampunk, has a lovely art nouveaux aesthetic

Bristol Zoo Post Card

Snake & Keeper 1901

CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »

Something important to keep in mind when designing / building a Steamed-up aquarium: Copper compounds in just about any form can be extremely toxic to most fish and aquatic invertebrates, so be VERY careful with the brass / paint, etc., even on the outside of the tanks.

If you choose to do decorative brass framing etc, an enclosed terrarium for plants can be much more "forgiving"

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 03:29:33 am »

I was just going to have the waterplants, as my place is covered by two Raid automatic units.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 09:26:54 am »

I asked about using a different tank and buying the other components separately (the kit in question is probably not for marine use) but there wouldn't be much saving if I simply got a different tank, using a chemical method to impregnate the water with CO2 would give vastly inferior results, as would using a different substrate. The seller I spoke to aquascapes, and had to scale the system up (she has a much bigger tank).

You don't need a CO2 injection system for a planted tank, only if you're going for a very high standard of aquascaping and using plants that are difficult to maintain without CO2.  I ran a basic yeast bottle CO2 system for a while and it was effective, but I don't bother with it any more and the plants I grow in my freshwater aquarium are perfectly happy without.

Tank, filter, lights, heater.. look for them all second-hand but replace the bulbs/tubes in the lights when you get them.

The Ward-style wooden framed tank posted further up the thread looks quite straightforward to replicate.  Finding the right varnish will be key, something that will protect the wood and not leach something into the water from condensation.  The high hood leaves lots of room for concealing the light fittings.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:04 pm »

P.S.
Perhaps a more manageable project?
Here are some interesting fish-bowls:
C.W.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 09:11:55 am »

They are beautiful Camellia . More like  well designed furniture pieces than a common or garden fish tank
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »

I concur with the last statement they are indeed fabulous!!

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 10:09:54 am »

Don't forget the wonderful Wardian Case -- You could put an aquarium in it, or just light it creatively and keep ferns, mosses and orchids in there for a deluge-risk-free alternative.  It is like having your own little Crystal Palace.

P.S. Hurricane Annie -- I do enjoy the scale of your visual imagination!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:11:59 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 08:18:20 pm »

for some reason I've just started daydreaming about submersible clockwork coelecanths...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »

Those fish bowls.  Oh My.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 12:14:19 am »

My Dear Girls,
Lovely! A miniature Steampunk world could be created in one of those.
Mr. Bailey,
Your remark suggests a new topic: "Steampunk Dream Interpretation." Dare I?
Gt.-Aunt Camellia
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:13 pm »

My Dear Girls,
Lovely! A miniature Steampunk world could be created in one of those.
Mr. Bailey,
Your remark suggests a new topic: "Steampunk Dream Interpretation." Dare I?
Gt.-Aunt Camellia

Oh Yes -  be a Dare Devil   dear Camllia
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 10:23:53 pm »

for some reason I've just started daydreaming about submersible clockwork coelecanths...

Have you been reading James Gurney's 'First Flight?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: