The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:19:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corset Troubles  (Read 963 times)
KittiwakeKlocks
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

I'm going to preface this with saying I'm very new to the Steam Punk world, but I'm hoping to delve further into it.  In my scoping of female steam punk fashions, it seems like corsets are very popular in their outfits. However, I have some bad damage to my ribs due to stupidity and binding with the wrong materials. My question is- How important are corsets to the steam punk fashion? Could I get away with steam punk outfits without them? Or could I wear underbust corsets with minimal pain? I could wear them not so tight, but that probably wouldn't look as aesthetic. Any tips or opinions on how I can get away with not having a corset?
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:11 pm »

You absolutely do NOT need corsets to be Steampunk Smiley

Corsets are very popular but they are certainly not essential wear.

Kindest regards, Raven

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:46 pm »

Being female, and not being in favor of limited movement, I tend toward waistcoats in most of my steamy outfits. It is mostly because while I own corsets and can wear corsets, I like to be able to bend and it is easier to wrangle my kids when not corseted...there is no one way to do steampunk, ask three steampunks there definition of the genre, you will get five different answers...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:25 pm »

I second grimnir's comment's, although corsets are accepted/used as a staple of female neovictorian/steampunk fashion they are by no means compulsory, if you don't want to wear a corset then you don't have to. This is one of the advantages of 'anachronistic anachronism' in that you can wear more 'male' style/ functional clothing if you desire to, so long as it looks right noone (at least no decent SP) will take offence.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
houseofhirudinea
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:04:04 pm »

As other fine folk have already mentioned you absolutely don't need to wear a corset to be steampunk- I don't always do so myself.

If, later down the line, you do decide you would like to add one to your wardrobe, I would highly recommend saving some money up and paying for a custom made corset from an experienced corsetier. They'll be able to make you one that will take into account your damage to your ribs, so that minimal/ no pressure is put on that area, and you will generally have a much more pleasant and comfortable experience wearing it than with a badly drafted and made, off the peg cheapo one.

Custom made clothing and alterations requests always welcome.
http://www.hirudinea.co.uk
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:45:56 pm »

These tops are made of silk and laced to fit in the back; this one is taken from a Victorian pattern.  They look like corsets but they are not, and some of them have old illustrations like the Raven or Pre-Raphaelite damsels on them for more gothic looks.  I do not yet have one, but they look very comfortable and would probably make an alternative for you that would spare your ribs!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:58:53 pm »

Dear KK,

Don't just look at pictures of the models in steampunk clothes.  After all these are only the photographers/client's fantasies.  Have a look at photos from events like Lincoln in the UK.  That will show you how steampunks actually dress.

You do not have to lace a corset so tight that your ribs ache.  Corsets are comfortable.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37:29 am »

I have attended 4 cons with increasingly more complex outfits none of which have included a corset or menswear.  I plan to get a corset but because I want to not because I think I have to.
It is important to be comfortable to have fun.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:21 am »

And I just found this.
Apparently you can be not only feminine but scandalous "sans corset."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: