The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 08:08:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: making tweed steamy!  (Read 1911 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »

I have just roasted in vintage tweed in my plus fours, hacking jacket and cloth cap all in the name of walking the dog!
However as no doubt people just thought I was oddly dressed, rather than the fact I was attempting a steampunk look - what is it that I can do to add to the look to make it more steampunk.
Clearly tramping through woods is not the time for a girls finest jewelry and I certainly didn't need a scarf. I was roasting as it was.
I don't yet have any googles, before you suggest that. But is there anything else I can do?

(I really need my own fashion advisor, the number of times I ask this group questions)
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:17:45 pm »

That would barely rate as eccentric across the most of the UK!

If you need to be identified as SP whilst walking the dog, I think you'd need some serious accessories.  Or a beard Wink

I can turn up to clients in Harris tweed and a cravat and they barely bat an eyelid.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »

So what serious accessories would you suggest?
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:08 pm »

So what serious accessories would you suggest?

I'd suggest just being happy knowing you're steampunk within yourself!

But a map case and binoculars/telescope could work.  Pocket watch and chain.  Replace the flat cap with a bowler or small topper.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:18:01 pm »

I know - it's enough to be it in yourself, but I like to share good things with the world!

Thanks for your suggestions, I have those hats so I can certainly mix and match

I also thought a leather utility belt would be nice.

Susannah
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »

Hmm, can tweed be made even more Steamy? Yes I believe it can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32058362@N04/5043809211/#in/photostream/

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:34 pm »

Susannah, your outfit sounds fine for walking the dog. But do you really need to shout your steampunky-ness from the rooftops even when you're just walking the dog? I work in a library. Everybody else wears 'smart but casual' clothing. Today I have black high waisted trousers, a black waist coat, pocket watch on double Albert chain, black, soft leather, lace up ankle boots, a white shirt with button down collar and a blue bowtie with white polka dots. And of course my waxed moustache.  I stand out from the rest of the staff here like an oasis in a desert of blandness and t-shirts. I don't feel the need to add loads of accessories to that outfit by wearing, say a pair of my goggles or loads of brooches and pins just to advertise/justify my steampunkness. I think you might be trying  too hard. Save the 'full Monty' Steampunkness with all the accessories and accroutrements for days out or special events.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 04:40:53 pm »

Gosh , that's the second person who has said something similar.

I feel like I have been told off.  That's one way to reduce a girl to blinking back tears.

Message to self to refrain for asking for ideas in the future.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »

Gosh , that's the second person who has said something similar.

I feel like I have been told off.  That's one way to reduce a girl to blinking back tears.

Message to self to refrain for asking for ideas in the future.

I meant no offence. I simply meant don't try to get everything in one go. It takes a while to build up a decent Steamy wardrobe. My sincere and heartfelt apologies if my comment made you upset, it was certainly not my intention and in no way did I mean to sound like I was 'telling you off'. It just sounded (to me at least) a bit excessive to want to dress up in , for want of a better phrase, 'Full Steampunk regalia' when walking your dog.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »

I don't feel it's excessive to want to dress up to walk the dog , all it is, is simply my choice to want to do so.
Lucius Baxter
Officer
England England

Where there is no imagination there is no horror

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:08 pm »

Why not wear it? I know a girl who wears full gear to college EVERY DAY! I tried to, but golly, it was tiring! Turning up like professor snape every day was exhausting. But if you can pull it off, why not? If it makes you happy, go for it! 

2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:36:48 am »

I don't feel it's excessive to want to dress up to walk the dog , all it is, is simply my choice to want to do so.

I'm sure it was no one's intention to upset you m'dear. I think it was more a consideration of practicality (even Steampunks can be practical sometimes  Wink). I wouldn't seriously recommend the young ladies outfit I posted for walking the dog in either, but it is of course your free choice.

Speaking of practicality, tweed is a classic example. It originally came in different weights for different purposes and seasons. Autumn country walking tweeds would often be lighter than say fishing or hunting tweeds. But I'd agree some sort of utility belt could steam up this (to my mind) inherently steamy fabric.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware of this annual event, but for some great examples of tweedy mixing and matching, I recommend looking for pictures from the various tweed runs.

http://tweedrun.com/

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:19 am »

Fair enough. Please do continue to ask for advice/suggestions both here and on FB. I won't attempt to suggest anything more though but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who will.
ColeV
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:03:04 pm »

Perhaps a chatelaine hanging from a pocket or your waistband with an assortment of oddities. Could be very useful for a walk and have your house keys, pocket watch, compass, etc on it. Vintage sweater clips (the type with a chain between two clips) can also be a great, very easy addition to any ensemble since you can add instant chain anywhere on the outfit or clip something interesting to you. An interesting bag for dog treats or bags like a cartridge box, sporran, or some other leather piece. If you don't have boots, a pair of spats would protect your legs from branches.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:08:12 pm by ColeV » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:46 pm »

Perhaps a vintage-looking nurse's watch; the kind that hangs on one's upper garment with the face upside-down by the perspective of onlookers. (It's easier for the nurse or whatever to check the time on, from their own perspective). The really oldtimey-looking ones might be considered 'steamy.'

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:44 pm »

Tweed seems pretty inherently steampunk to me, it's such a great fabric. You shouldn't put that ahead of comfort though - if you are too warm in full tweed, perhaps just the jacket with lighter weight fabric like cotton for the rest or vice versa? No less steamy but far more practical!
I like the idea of small practical accessories like a pocket watch or chatelaine, and I always think that top hats are wonderful (although perhaps not if you walk the dog in an area with lots of trees/low hanging branches).
Personally I'm a big fan of vintage style brooches with every outfit, I think they are a small touch that makes any outfit more complete.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 04:36:21 am »

Susannah, your boots are not mentioned-- a key note of Steaminess! If you have the boots, Victorian lace-up, with a heel, maybe, that would send the message. Tall ones?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 07:32:45 am »

what about a nice pith while on safari?

Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:48:05 am »

No thanks, I don't like the thought that the lions are watching me.....
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:34 am »

No thanks, I don't like the thought that the lions are watching me.....

Badda-BING! Grin
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »

I have just roasted in vintage tweed in my plus fours, hacking jacket and cloth cap all in the name of walking the dog!
However as no doubt people just thought I was oddly dressed, rather than the fact I was attempting a steampunk look - what is it that I can do to add to the look to make it more steampunk.
Clearly tramping through woods is not the time for a girls finest jewelry and I certainly didn't need a scarf. I was roasting as it was.
I don't yet have any googles, before you suggest that. But is there anything else I can do?

(I really need my own fashion advisor, the number of times I ask this group questions)

Might I postulate that I believe is as much of the steam and light on the punk. Comfort is all when it comes to personal well being. A steampunk should never "roast" for the sake of a mere look. It saddens me that you are feeling one iota of discomfort by just trying to be more. I find (from my experience (which much like religion), is a deeply personal one) steampunk to be as much about thought as it is about look.

Now I do not wish to start yet another argument here about the nature of Steampunk. As such this is my personal view and entirely subjective. I wouldn't think "what more can I do". Find your own comfortable level and enjoy the nature of being comfortable.

As a man I respect, has a habit of saying: "be splendid". Splendid comes from the inner comfort, the very place of self worth. It is not a quantitative exercise but a qualitative one. Be at peace, and you will be the best you can me.

Yet still if you wish to accessorize (a subject I find very close to my own comfort zone of splendid): I suggest some sexy spiral stainless steel chains. Light and extremely customizable. I also think I maybe able to recommend a supplier who does very reasonably priced work..... Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:05:47 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 08:26:51 pm »

No help to Susannah but here is a man who would be roasting in the warmer weather:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O17492/driving-coat-hammond-co-ltd/
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 07:23:33 pm »

The only way that can be worn in the hight of summer is:

Unbutton the bugger have it billow behind you and be clad in nigh all but navy spandex swimming briefs!

I could pull that look off. I'm still wirey. I may need goggles however....
Prof. Comberthwaite
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »

As noted above, tweed comes in different weights. I have a number of Harris Tweed jackets, but they are all of the more modern lighter weight fabrics which are much more practical (unles you're planning to go fly-fishing in Scotland...).

I do wear them to work, often with a waistcoat and bow-tie. Once upon a time not that long ago, everyone else would have been in collar and tie, but now it is 'tech casual', which seems to be a euphemism for jeans and a tee shirt. This does make me a tad obvious  Smiley

I do wear breeches for hill-walking, but have not done so to work - yet.

Bottom line, wear whatever you feel comfortable with and care not what others may think.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:27:14 pm by Prof. Comberthwaite » Logged

Prof. Comberthwaite
Ancient Historian | Archeoastronomer | Ethnochronologist
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »

No help to Susannah but here is a man who would be roasting in the warmer weather:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O17492/driving-coat-hammond-co-ltd/

Now that is a great coat (pun intended btw)

I wonder how much a reproduction would cost?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: